ADVERTISEMENT

QB Controversy

Lighting Hawk

HR MVP
Sep 16, 2021
Not in the habit of posting other blog sites on HR, but I thought Matt Reisener wrote a very good article here. Points out a lot of statistical differences in the two QB's and what each may bring to the table. I thought his take on AP was spot on, admittedly I am more of a Padilla homer than a Petras hater because I think that Alex's attributes bring more to the table than Petras when it comes to facing aggressive D-Lines. I think they were both not feeling well from the Flu this last week, so maybe they were both off their game a bit but with 8 days in between games, I think we get back on track this week in a huge way.

The Case for Alex Padilla:

Petras may be the safer option, but Padilla gives Iowa the best chance to win. While Petras is content to manage the game, Padilla has shown a greater willingness to not only attack opposing defenses downfield but to target Iowa’s big-play weapons in the passing game and get the ball into the hands of freshmen wideouts Keagan Johnson and Arland Bruce IV as often as possible. Iowa enters Saturday’s game as the clear underdog and with good reason given the impressive nature of Michigan’s 42-27 win over Ohio State last week. If Iowa wants to overcome the very real talent gap between its team and the Wolverines, it will need to come out swinging for the fences offensively, something which Padilla’s upside and aggressive mentality will better enable the Hawkeyes to do.

Additionally, Padilla’s mobility could give him a substantial leg up over Petras against this particular opponent. Michigan boasts two of the country’s best edge rushers in Aidan Hutchinson and David Ojabo, two players who have combined for 23 sacks and 25.5 tackles for loss on the season. Given the way Iowa’s tackles have struggled with pass protection for much of the year, Petras’ stationary pocket passing style threatens to make him a liability when faced with the daunting Wolverine pass rush. Padilla has the speed, agility, and pocket presence to avoid incoming defenders and has shown himself to a much better passer than Petras when forced to scramble or throw on the run. If Michigan is able to get pressure on Petras (which it will), it will likely result in sacks, incompletions, and turnovers. With Padilla behind center, Iowa at least has a shot to extend plays and attack any cracks in the defense that might emerge.

Furthermore, the statistical case for Petras might not be as strong as it appears at first glance. Padilla boasts a higher passer rating against opponents with winning records (137.7) than Petras does this year (107.37), has produced passing plays of 25+ yards on a higher percentage of his throws, and has actually shown better ball security when playing from behind than Petras has (Petras has a TD:INT ratio of 2:4 compared to 1:0 for Padilla). Padilla’s accuracy rating was also disproportionately impacted by a poor performance by his wide receivers against Illinois, a game in which the Hawkeyes dropped as many passes as they caught (six apiece). It can also be argued that Padilla’s completion percentage suffers due to his willingness to more frequently attempt throws with a higher degree of difficulty than Petras’ average pass. Attacking downfield can certainly result in incompletions, but it can also produce big plays that turn the tide of a game the way Padilla’s 72-yard touchdown to Charlie Jones did against Minnesota.

The bottom line: if Iowa wants to keep it a respectable game ensure that it only loses to Michigan by 7-10 points, the coaches should play it safe and ride with Petras as the starter. However, if they are playing to win, Padilla’s upside, athleticism, and lack of scar tissue from a year of abuse behind Iowa’s inexperienced offensive line make him the clear option.

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com...illa-spencer-petras-big-ten-championship-bhgp

Honestly, does it matter? We know who will start. None of this sh*t matters really because KF is going to start Petras because of the reps/experience and qualifications he boasts with his W/L, that matters especially with statistical/performance slumps against Illinois and Nebbie from AP. No matter how much of a statue he is and unwilling to make plays outside the pocket with the most aggressive pass rush in the B1G we have faced all year, I think we see Petras under center to start the game for sure. TBH not sure the QB makes a huge difference if we shoot ourselves in the foot several times like we did last Friday offensively. Fumbling the ball after a 12 play drive, not executing reverses and fumbling the ball around, and dropping passes (against ill and some against Nebbie) including TD passes after a 10 play drive in the RedZone on 4th down (It was close, but don't think LaPorta controlled it entirely, just fkn hang onto it and throw a better ball.)

Spencer is a great kid and a decent QB, but I've said it a hundred times and I'll say it again; He looks scared, gets happy feet, and he doesn't trust his own ability to get out of the pocket and avoid a sack or make a play on the run - which half of our playbook seems to be predicated on, PLAY ACTION. He kills plays too quickly way too often OR he takes a sack. For a Cheeto fingery fan like myself, there's nothing more frustrating than seeing a ball thrown into the dirt (or into a cheerleaders head) when you can get maybe 3-5 yards with your legs if you don't run a 6.9 40 yard dash. I know we have MANY more issues being ranked 124th in total offense or whatever we are, it's not just Spencer, and AP isn't miles ahead it's a tight comparison. I think I'm just trying to beat a dead horse. I get why we are probably going to play Spencer, our passing game has been a dud all year, and the only sort of explosion or stretching of the field we had done was against Minny with Padilla. I want more of that. Why not try and catch Michigan sleeping and actually try and throw for over 200 yards for a change, and attack the air?

Discuss.

Not in the habit of posting other blog sites on HR, but I thought Matt Reisener wrote a very good article here. Points out a lot of statistical differences in the two QB's and what each may bring to the table. I thought his take on AP was spot on, admittedly I am more of a Padilla homer than a Petras hater because I think that Alex's attributes bring more to the table than Petras when it comes to facing aggressive D-Lines. I think they were both not feeling well from the Flu this last week, so maybe they were both off their game a bit but with 8 days in between games, I think we get back on track this week in a huge way.

The Case for Alex Padilla:

Petras may be the safer option, but Padilla gives Iowa the best chance to win. While Petras is content to manage the game, Padilla has shown a greater willingness to not only attack opposing defenses downfield but to target Iowa’s big-play weapons in the passing game and get the ball into the hands of freshmen wideouts Keagan Johnson and Arland Bruce IV as often as possible. Iowa enters Saturday’s game as the clear underdog and with good reason given the impressive nature of Michigan’s 42-27 win over Ohio State last week. If Iowa wants to overcome the very real talent gap between its team and the Wolverines, it will need to come out swinging for the fences offensively, something which Padilla’s upside and aggressive mentality will better enable the Hawkeyes to do.

Additionally, Padilla’s mobility could give him a substantial leg up over Petras against this particular opponent. Michigan boasts two of the country’s best edge rushers in Aidan Hutchinson and David Ojabo, two players who have combined for 23 sacks and 25.5 tackles for loss on the season. Given the way Iowa’s tackles have struggled with pass protection for much of the year, Petras’ stationary pocket passing style threatens to make him a liability when faced with the daunting Wolverine pass rush. Padilla has the speed, agility, and pocket presence to avoid incoming defenders and has shown himself to a much better passer than Petras when forced to scramble or throw on the run. If Michigan is able to get pressure on Petras (which it will), it will likely result in sacks, incompletions, and turnovers. With Padilla behind center, Iowa at least has a shot to extend plays and attack any cracks in the defense that might emerge.

Furthermore, the statistical case for Petras might not be as strong as it appears at first glance. Padilla boasts a higher passer rating against opponents with winning records (137.7) than Petras does this year (107.37), has produced passing plays of 25+ yards on a higher percentage of his throws, and has actually shown better ball security when playing from behind than Petras has (Petras has a TD:INT ratio of 2:4 compared to 1:0 for Padilla). Padilla’s accuracy rating was also disproportionately impacted by a poor performance by his wide receivers against Illinois, a game in which the Hawkeyes dropped as many passes as they caught (six apiece). It can also be argued that Padilla’s completion percentage suffers due to his willingness to more frequently attempt throws with a higher degree of difficulty than Petras’ average pass. Attacking downfield can certainly result in incompletions, but it can also produce big plays that turn the tide of a game the way Padilla’s 72-yard touchdown to Charlie Jones did against Minnesota.

The bottom line: if Iowa wants to keep it a respectable game ensure that it only loses to Michigan by 7-10 points, the coaches should play it safe and ride with Petras as the starter. However, if they are playing to win, Padilla’s upside, athleticism, and lack of scar tissue from a year of abuse behind Iowa’s inexperienced offensive line make him the clear option.

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com...illa-spencer-petras-big-ten-championship-bhgp

Honestly, does it matter? We know who will start. None of this sh*t matters really because KF is going to start Petras because of the reps/experience and qualifications he boasts with his W/L, that matters especially with statistical/performance slumps against Illinois and Nebbie from AP. No matter how much of a statue he is and unwilling to make plays outside the pocket with the most aggressive pass rush in the B1G we have faced all year, I think we see Petras under center to start the game for sure. TBH not sure the QB makes a huge difference if we shoot ourselves in the foot several times like we did last Friday offensively. Fumbling the ball after a 12 play drive, not executing reverses and fumbling the ball around, and dropping passes (against ill and some against Nebbie) including TD passes after a 10 play drive in the RedZone on 4th down (It was close, but don't think LaPorta controlled it entirely, just fkn hang onto it and throw a better ball.)

Spencer is a great kid and a decent QB, but I've said it a hundred times and I'll say it again; He looks scared, gets happy feet, and he doesn't trust his own ability to get out of the pocket and avoid a sack or make a play on the run - which half of our playbook seems to be predicated on, PLAY ACTION. He kills plays too quickly way too often OR he takes a sack. For a Cheeto fingery fan like myself, there's nothing more frustrating than seeing a ball thrown into the dirt (or into a cheerleaders head) when you can get maybe 3-5 yards with your legs if you don't run a 6.9 40 yard dash. I know we have MANY more issues being ranked 124th in total offense or whatever we are, it's not just Spencer, and AP isn't miles ahead it's a tight comparison. I think I'm just trying to beat a dead horse. I get why we are probably going to play Spencer, our passing game has been a dud all year, and the only sort of explosion or stretching of the field we had done was against Minny with Padilla. I want more of that. Why not try and catch Michigan sleeping and actually try and throw for over 200 yards for a change, and attack the air?

Discuss.
I’ll make it easy. Does Michigan have a good pass rush? If so, then Padilla is the better choice. If Michigan has no pass rush and Iowa’s qb will face no pressure….then Petras is the choice.

we have all the best ideas but at the end of the day, KF will go with Petras IMO Padilla won’t see the field. If he does after a shitty start by Petras, that stadium will ERUPT with cheers. Lol

I agree completely with SCHawk fan. If Petras falters at all Padilla will be in right away. In fact, the strategy may be to use both of them to throw Michigan off.

I agree completely with SCHawk fan. If Petras falters at all Padilla will be in right away. In fact, the strategy may be to use both of them to throw Michigan off.
Petras will play the entire game I'm afraid. I'm sure Michigan would much rather face Petras as he looks lost, scared, intimidated, and is an absolute statue cemented in the ground. Their 2 ends have more sacks than our entire team combined, and not sure how we are planning on blocking 2 of them when we couldn't block 1 guy from Purdue, and both of these guys are better than him. They will stack the box like Wisky did, destroy our running game, if you wanna call it that, and pressure Petras because they know he is not capable of beating anyone through the air.

Petras will play the entire game I'm afraid. I'm sure Michigan would much rather face Petras as he looks lost, scared, intimidated, and is an absolute statue cemented in the ground. Their 2 ends have more sacks than our entire team combined, and not sure how we are planning on blocking 2 of them when we couldn't block 1 guy from Purdue, and both of these guys are better than him. They will stack the box like Wisky did, destroy our running game, if you wanna call it that, and pressure Petras because they know he is not capable of beating anyone through the air.
I disagree. I would have agreed with you before Friday but last week told us that Kirk was willing to make a change. I think if Spencer is struggling to get them into the end zone they make a switch.

Reactions: HawkinMN
My guess is the 6 "should have been" interceptions that Padilla got lucky the other team dropped played a huge role in determining who will start. Petras may get sacked 10 times, but he's less likely to throw interceptions.

My guess is the 6 "should have been" interceptions that Padilla got lucky the other team dropped played a huge role in determining who will start. Petras may get sacked 10 times, but he's less likely to throw interceptions.
Less likely based on him almost throwing one after badly overthrowing LaPorta the play before on Friday? Just using recency bias a little but idk if I necessarily agree with who’s more prone to throwing picks. I think Padilla takes more shots and Petras tends to be more conservative, ala always passing to TE’s. But I’ve seen Petras throw his fair share of picks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT