ADVERTISEMENT

QB is not our program problem with offense

So, Nate was no better than Petras? Nate's career:

Nate Stanley is either first or second in every major passing statistic. Nate's TD/Int ratio is substantially better any multiyear starter at Iowa; and he's second in yards, TDs, tied for 1st in wins among 3 year starters (So Chuck Long and Matt Sherman are the only QBs that started for more than 3 seasons.)

Even Nate's "weakness" (accuracy) places is still 7th best in an Iowa career. It would not be possible to amass those numbers with just a few good games. Indeed Nate .583 and Brad Banks, .588 have nearly identical completion percentages over their careers.

Spencer Petras' career (so far)

Nate Stanley is either first or second in every major career passing statistic. Nate's TD/Int ratio is substantially better than any multiyear starter at Iowa; and he's second in career yards, TDs, tied for 1st in wins among 3 year starters (Chuck Long and Matt Sherman are the only QBs that started for more than 3 seasons.). By this point in Nate's career he'd thrown for about 5000 yards and 52 TDs. I think, could be wrong, but didn't Nate throw for something like 330 yards and 5 TDs in a come from behind or OT game? Do you see that game in Spencer Petras?

Even their foot speed isn't close. Spencer makes Nate look like Jesse Owens shoving Uncle Sam's boot up Hitler's ass at the 36 Olympics.

Late night edit. I was looking at the media guide before I shut things down. Ironically, Spencer Petras just passed Brad Banks for 13th place in career yards. Spencer still needs three TDs to pass BB on the TD list. Not comparing over all players because Brad only played 1 season and a few downs.

Brad Banks didn't play only one season. He wasn't a starter as a first year player out of JC, but he played more than both Drew Tate and Nate Stanley in their first season at Iowa.

Each of these QBs started in their second season at Iowa.

Banks 109 plays where he was the passer or primary runner isn't "a few downs" in his first season. Ten games played is far more than Tate or Stanley as first year players at Iowa.

Banks only played two seasons at Iowa. He wasn't quite ready for prime time as a first year player.

petrass.gif
I get what you’re saying with this GIF….but this to me is a bad example. That’s a long throw, with a guy in his face, across the body.
This is still the worst:
Remain convinced we win that game if he hits that one. One of those, SOOOOOO wide open you think you can’t possibly overthrow it, so you just let it fly and he‘ll run under it.

Reactions: hawkdave007
Iowa takes the reigns from Illinois last year as biggest choke job of B1G in NCAA...if B1G flops again, then maybe they get the bids cut down a lot.
If our offense has been so difficult to grasp, shame on the coaches for not changing it a decade ago.
We can cherry pick a year here\there - consistently being in the top 70 in offense and top 30 in defense would put us in the BIG Championship nearly every year and even the NC a few times.

I agree totally…..KF tries to make it sound like the offense is written in Greek or something!

Individual QBs? Yeah. I think more people blame the system than the QBs when it comes to the passing game. I absolutely agree when it comes to running back though. The difference between Iowa and Wisconsin since 2010 is the quality of running backs.
I would disagree. Wisconsin's success running the ball has been more about they build everything around doing so. They don't even attempt to be balanced and their blocking scheme is easier to dominate with in college. Outside of Taylor their rbs haven't really been better college backs than what Iowa has had.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
Every scramble drill has the wr working back to the QB. This clip shows wr working downfield away from QB. Petras might be assuming wr is going to come back to ball. With that said a better athlete at QB would be able to set feet better.
Every scramble drill doesnt have WR's working back to the QB the scramble rule of thumb has always been deep routes should work back. short routes should get long.

I would disagree. Wisconsin's success running the ball has been more about they build everything around doing so. They don't even attempt to be balanced and their blocking scheme is easier to dominate with in college. Outside of Taylor their rbs haven't really been better college backs than what Iowa has had.
The only RB of ours that would have started for Wisconsin was Goodson in 2020. There RBs have been head and shoulders better than ours.

Every scramble drill doesnt have WR's working back to the QB the scramble rule of thumb has always been deep routes should work back. short routes should get long.
Yes and no. I’ve always interpreted the scramble drill as receivers looking back at the qb, realizing the play has broken down, and looking for an open space for the qb to find them. Ideally, one guy does this in short yardage, another finds a medium level spot, and a third goes deep. All contingent as well based on how well the defense maintains its discipline.

The only RB of ours that would have started for Wisconsin was Goodson in 2020. There RBs have been head and shoulders better than ours.
I feel like that’s as much as Iowa going thru that stretch of AIRBHG for much of the 2010s. I’d have loved to see a fully healthy Bullock/Canzeri duo for example.

Not sure if serious?

Bullock/Canzeri vs. Monte Ball, James White, j Taylor and Melvin Gordon?

That is a WIDE talent gap.
Hard to say imo, we sadly didn’t get to see them fully healthy too often, whereas Wisconsin has been more fortunate in that regard. Not too mention the MASSIVE offensive lines theyve had as well.

they were better for sure, but I’m not sure it’s quite as wide as you want to paint it.

• Haha
Reactions: F5n5 and David1979
Hard to say imo, we sadly didn’t get to see them fully healthy too often, whereas Wisconsin has been more fortunate in that regard. Not too mention the MASSIVE offensive lines theyve had as well.

they were better for sure, but I’m not sure it’s quite as wide as you want to paint it.
yikes

Reactions: HawkOn15

The NFL stats of those 4 listed vs Canzeri/Bullocks NFL stats is all I need to see regarding talent.

The NFL stats of those 4 listed vs Canzeri/Bullocks NFL stats is all I need to see regarding talent.

Of course. Never said they weren’t better. Just pointed out that those two in particular battled injuries their entire careers at Iowa so we never really got to see them healthy.

Reactions: F5n5
Of course. Never said they weren’t better. Just pointed out that those two in particular battled injuries their entire careers at Iowa so we never really got to see them healthy.
Saw enough of both to know neither were even close to Wisconsin’s talent. Bullock in particular he was very underwhelming by the time he was a senior he was reduced to being a third down back. I don’t even think Bullock dealt with injuries outside his sophomore year.

Reactions: David1979
Saw enough of both to know neither were even close to Wisconsin’s talent. Bullock in particular he was very underwhelming by the time he was a senior he was reduced to being a third down back. I don’t even think Bullock dealt with injuries outside his sophomore year.

I don’t strongly disagree, just that the injury luck we had for a long time in the RB room really stunted the program and we had so many guys never get a chance to reach their potential.

Would still love to know what happened to Gordon during his infamous Iowa visit that got him to flip to Wisconsin.

Reactions: F5n5
Individual QBs? Yeah. I think more people blame the system than the QBs when it comes to the passing game. I absolutely agree when it comes to running back though. The difference between Iowa and Wisconsin since 2010 is the quality of running backs.

And the quality of their OL as a group.

And the quality of their OL as a group.

The overall quality of the program definitely dipped in the early 2010s, cratering in 2012 before slowly building its way back up, to where Kirk has arguably had the best sustained recruiting success the last 3-4 years that he’s had in his entire tenure.

For all the complaints about Petras, we forget he was considered a steal when we landed him, even tho he hasn’t developed like we hoped.

The overall quality of the program definitely dipped in the early 2010s, cratering in 2012 before slowly building its way back up, to where Kirk has arguably had the best sustained recruiting success the last 3-4 years that he’s had in his entire tenure.

For all the complaints about Petras, we forget he was considered a steal when we landed him, even tho he hasn’t developed like we hoped.
Wasnt he injured last year?

Not sure if serious?
I mean obviously Wisconsin RB's have been better than Iowa's and they are more talented but most of their success has come from the system they play in than some talent advantage they have had. I'm not even saying they aren't more talented than Iowa's rbs but Wadley would have torn it up at Wisky, same for Goodson, and Canzeri. It's not like Wisky Rb's outside of Taylor have been great NFL RBs. Gordon has been pretty solid. James White is a role player. There is clearly a talent gap between wisky rbs and Iowa. It's smaller than the numbers suggest

Canzeri per touch as a senior was basically as productive as Wisconsin backs were.

• Haha
Reactions: David1979
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT