ADVERTISEMENT

QBs, coaching, and the Ferentz family business

Appreciate the answer. I think Spencer has reached his ceiling. I also think he is a very good practice and cerebral quarterback. Unfortunately in my opinion it doesn't transfer to games. I want Brian to have full control of the offense. Because it will prove either he is good at his craft or he's not. I do remember this fan base having these exact same discussions about the offense when it came to Greg Davis, and even our beloved kok. The reason I believe it may be different this year is that Brian by assuming full control has Kirk's blessing on making certain changes that he's been wanting to make. Am I guessing? Yes but I think at the end of the season our questions will be answered. And I don't think Spencer will be the starting quarterback at the end of the season. Again just my opinion
Here’s hoping that it works out wonderfully and the offense improves to make the team more balanced.

Here’s hoping that it works out wonderfully and the offense improves to make the team more balanced.

The offense will be better because it can't get much worse than last year. Our run game will help move the chains and keep us out of so many third and longs. Hopefully less stressful situations for SP.

Helps to have a Dad who is a D1 coach who hires his family.
That leaves me out. :(

Gotta have a cooperative AD that keeps rolling extensions out so that AD retains zero negotiating/goal setting
power..

The system is rigged against Iowa anyway in both Football and Basketball so no chance of National Champioinships. We might stumble through a weak B1G only to get exposed.

The system does reward those in the coaching field very well. Sash and Greenwood, not so much.

Reactions: CarterHall
The offense will be better because it can't get much worse than last year. Our run game will help move the chains and keep us out of so many third and longs. Hopefully less stressful situations for SP.
That’s optimistic and I’m not sure I share your optimism.

I see bill bellicek just hired former def coord Matt Patricia to be one of his offensive coaches. Looks like he hasn't coached on that side of the ball since 2005 when he was an asst OL coach.

"if wishes were horses, beggars would ride." We all have an opinion about the Hawk offense, but no one, even Las Vegas knows how the next season will turn out. Chuck Long has an opinion which is to be respected, but even Chuck had his detractors concerning his coaching experiences. Brad Banks was mentioned by our new quarterback recruit as his role model. Nice! We won a lot of games when we had NFL ready o-line members. The o-line just couldn't protect our slow quarterback in several games last year. I have a feeling that the o-line and quarterback will be better this coming year. I don't know if Brian will be an Iowa coach for many more seasons but I want him to do well. The beating we gave Ohio State will be remembered for a long long time. Let's row together and bring home the trophies !!!

"There's a record number of experts out there right now, critiquing
what we do."

The "record number" part might suggest that someone is keeping track.

"I thought it was a missed opportunity for Kirk and Iowa football, I really did," Long said. "Quarterback coaching is such a different animal. I was in it for 20 years. I don’t know anybody with an offensive-line background . . . (that) has gone on to coach quarterbacks. It’s just different than everything else."

You can say that again Chuck!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT