ADVERTISEMENT

QBs, coaching, and the Ferentz family business

FWIW4922463

HR All-State
Apr 1, 2021
Interesting points in a recent Press-Citizen article about Iowa football from the likes of Chuck Long and the Ferentz family. Here's the link before I get into it: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...-coach-spencer-petras-depth-chart/7111641001/

First, Chuck Long, former All-American Hawkeye QB and longtime QB coach at a little place called Oklahoma, joined many of us stupid message board posters in questioning the intelligence of giving the title of QB coach to Iowa's failed OC, Brian Ferentz. From the article:

On a Wednesday radio appearance on KCJJ in Iowa City, Iowa quarterback legend Chuck Long — a national-championship winning quarterbacks coach at Oklahoma in 2000 — expressed disappointment in the move as a Hawkeye supporter.

"I thought it was a missed opportunity for Kirk and Iowa football, I really did," Long said. "Quarterback coaching is such a different animal. I was in it for 20 years. I don’t know anybody with an offensive-line background . . . (that) has gone on to coach quarterbacks. It’s just different than everything else."

So, if you joined me in expressing disappointment . . . but not surprise, certainly . . . at this unprecedented hire, we are in good company.

And then we have Brian admitting he--like most of us on here--has no experience coaching QBs. How refreshing. Such humility. Such honesty. But hey, no poster should EVER again lambast another poster for any critiques they offer about coaches or players because, as KF and Brian have admitted, no experience required! Read about it (Coaching QBs for Dummies, maybe?), talk to "real" experts, and work hard, and you too can coach anything, anywhere, anytime. Ted Lasso, anyone?

From the article:
To the credit of Brian Ferentz, who will turn 39 on Monday, he is embracing the pressure while also taking a humble approach to the role of coaching quarterbacks. In a recent university-hosted podcast with Gary Dolphin, the coach’s son admitted he would be learning on the fly.

“The first thing I need to do is admit that I’m not an expert on the quarterback position. I better go seek out some expertise and learn from it,” he said. “And then it’s like any other position. One of the things that makes you a good line coach or a good tight ends coach, you have to start by listening to the players. Too many coaches want to dictate."

So there you have it. Typical out-of-the-box, innovative thinking from KF himself. Give the QB coaching job to an offensive line coach and let him learn on the fly. Makes sense since Iowa is such an offensive juggernaut with the Ferentz offense being ranked #121 of 130 teams last season. And the Hawkeyes have the SAME QBs returning, plus an untested fella in Joe Labas who, probably, maybe, is the best of the group.

Anyway, just thought it was cool how KF is spinning this whole thing in an ever more obvious effort to bequeath the head job to his son some day. Imagine 50 or 60 years of nothing but a Ferentz as the head football coach at Iowa. As if we didn't have enough to deal with these days . . .

But on the bright side, next time there's an opening on the Iowa staff, we can all apply for the lucrative jobs and point out that, just like BF, we have no experience, so we're perfect hires.

I'm not going to be critical of anyone that doesn't like this move, and I'm certainly not going to question Chuck Long (see avatar).

However, in CF, where practice time is limited, meetings are limited, I've wondered what a QB coach does, especially someone like KOK that wasn't a "mechanics" guy. The QB already has to spend time with the OL, the RB's, the receivers and the entire offensive unit to get on the same page. Maybe a QB coach can help a QB understand how to break-down film. I guess it's a matter of how many voices the HC thinks the QB should hear.

So, I have no problem with the OC being the QB coach.

But, I wouldn't have picked BF - not many here would of course. I think that both KF and BF are talking a big risk. If things don't work out any better than they have they will both get roasted. Of course, they are probably used to that.

BF should have taken another job - anywhere really, to begin to rebuild his reputation. KF should have brought in an experienced OC to take some of the pressure off - both on himself and BF.

But, KF is right a lot of the time. Maybe he will be this time too.

The QB position is viewed as a weak link, BF indicates he’s not an expert at QB, so how should Petras and Padilla feel about this. They’re the guys who need some coaching help and apparently not going to get it.

I'm not going to be critical of anyone that doesn't like this move, and I'm certainly not going to question Chuck Long (see avatar).

However, in CF, where practice time is limited, meetings are limited, I've wondered what a QB coach does, especially someone like KOK that wasn't a "mechanics" guy. The QB already has to spend time with the OL, the RB's, the receivers and the entire offensive unit to get on the same page. Maybe a QB coach can help a QB understand how to break-down film. I guess it's a matter of how many voices the HC thinks the QB should hear.

So, I have no problem with the OC being the QB coach.

But, I wouldn't have picked BF - not many here would of course. I think that both KF and BF are talking a big risk. If things don't work out any better than they have they will both get roasted. Of course, they are probably used to that.

BF should have taken another job - anywhere really, to begin to rebuild his reputation. KF should have brought in an experienced OC to take some of the pressure off - both on himself and BF.

But, KF is right a lot of the time. Maybe he will be this time too.
I'm not a Brian Basher and maybe this current move makes sense, but what makes you think that Brian had a lot of great job opportunities out there? Can you imagine any P5 program hiring on Brian as an OC after his history with the Iowa offense and particularly last year's debacle? He'd probably be looking at taking a big step down as an OC at a smaller program or a coordinator position. In either case, wouldn't he likely be looking at a significant cut in pay and job security?

I'm not a Brian Basher and maybe this current move makes sense, but what makes you think that Brian had a lot of great job opportunities out there? Can you imagine any P5 program hiring on Brian as an OC after his history with the Iowa offense and particularly last year's debacle? He'd probably be looking at taking a big step down as an OC at a smaller program or a coordinator position. In either case, wouldn't he likely be looking at a significant cut in pay and job security?
I never said he had a lot of GREAT opportunities.

I'm talking like a HC at the Citidel, or a TE coach in the NFL again, or something like that. Huge pay cut. But, I don't think money should be his primary motivator right now. He has money, and KF has lots and lots of it. I think it's possible he could make a fine HC someday. But, he'll never find out unless he takes that pay cut.

But it's the only way he can get to where he wants to be I imagine.

The fact that he didn't try to reboot his career tells me something about him frankly. But, maybe the offensive will surprise us all - but I doubt it. Doing the same things over and over again is not generally considered a formula for success.

Or, he could just ride KF's coattails till he retires and then buy a car dealership.

Reactions: amahawk

I'm talking like a HC at the Citidel, or a TE coach in the NFL again, or something like that. Huge pay cut. But, I don't think money should be his primary motivator right now. He has money, and KF has lots and lots of it. I think it's possible he could make a fine HC someday. But, he'll never find out unless he takes that pay cut.

The fact that he didn't try to reboot his career tells me something about him frankly. But, maybe the offensive will surprise us all - but I doubt it. Doing the same things over and over again is not generally considered a formula for success.

Or, he could just ride KF's coattails till he retires and then buy a car dealership.
Very good points. A prominent DI job as HC is likely out of the question, as would be a prominent D1 OC. Possibly a Run Game coordinator given the talent cumming out of Iowa heading to the Pro's.

D2 HC and/or OC might be a good place for him to re-set and make his own bones in the next 3 or 4 year stint. Not sure Mid America conference wouldn't ask for someone more accomplished then BF in his own right.

Mostly, the whole conversation is tiresome to me....nepotism. With adult son's of my own, the joy of working with your son's like Fran and Kirk have been afforded, and the criticism garnered by so many, is a little like Melvin Udall's Noodle Salad comment, in As Good as Gets. "Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good". I wish I could have enjoyed the same thing with my son's, but I don't see all the bad in Iowa's coaching situation raised by the critics. Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Kudos to a Ferentz for actually being honest about his football knowledge or lack of. Chuck Long is right, this was a missed opportunity for Iowa and the football team. Let's see if I can make Brian's resume look better and then think about what's best for the Iowa Football program.

So Alabama's QB coach is Bill O'Brien. He played LB and d-line. He has since become an OC, a QB coach and a HC.
It it could go the other way and ensure Brian Ferentz will never be the head coach at the U of I.

I hope he succeeds but I just don’t see being handed the reigns at a D1 school with no experience in either position makes any sense for a man that has legendary status at the school, then to possibly throw it all away by giving his unqualified son these positions.

It just makes no sense when the man can hire an OC to compliment his DC and challenge for B1G titles and possibly a play off spot. Instead, he is more interested in promoting his son over the best interest of the Football Program at the University of Iowa. I wouldn’t do it. I’d make him Associate Head Coach that oversees the Oline and Tight End Coaches. It has to affect recruiting when a Mac Markway looks at Iowa and LSU, Brian Ferentz to Brian Kelly as the offensive mastermind for each program and asks who should he go play for? That’s a no brainer.

Reactions: RomanHawk
KF has a formula for assembling a coaching staff and he doesn't wavier. It doesn't really matter if fans like it or not.

The formula is to get coaches that can get on the same page. He prefers men that have been in the system over guys that have not. They have a "way" of doing things. Coaches that understand "the way" are more important to him than an outsider that might have more specific knowledge.

Critics can have a field day with this strategy - assembling "yes men", guys that salute KF and don't question him. In other words, KF likes boot-lickers that do things his way. He doesn't want to hear about new fangled ideas.

But there is another way to look at it. Consistency. Coaches that are willing to work together to achieve goals. Free exchange of ideas behind the scenes only. In front of the team and the public - everyone on the same page. Players absolutely know what to expect because they hear it all the time - week after week, year after year. The "way" you coach a player is more important to KF than the "how".

It's how Reese Morgan went from HC of a HS team, to an OL coach to DL coach. It's how Tyler Linderbaum went from a potential star at DL to one of the best centers in Iowa history. It's the "way" they did things - no experience required.

If consistency has been the goal (and I think it is), then KF has achieved it with remarkable success.

A different approach might take a 10 win season and make it a championship season. Or, it might turn into a 6 win team.

Lots of fans are willing to roll the dice to find the magic, even if it fails. KF is not willing to do that.

I hear what you're saying but it's pretty unusual for coaches to voluntarily take a big step back with a huge cut in pay. I don't know that he'd get any decent head coaching job given his recent history that's out there or even if he wants it. I'm not a Brian critic or proponent but I'm not sure what staying on says about him as a person. His best chance at rebooting his career as you say is probably to stay at Iowa.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
We have had some bad coaches that has probably dictated why KF does what he does. Remember the Coach Kazinsky disaster and other disasters.

So, if you joined me in expressing disappointment . . . but not surprise, certainly . . . at this unprecedented hire, we are in good company.

Chuck Long, me, and others on one side.

Dipshits like @cmhawks99 & @Frosty7130 on the other side.

rs_1024x759-160621120438-rs_1024x759-150817131955-1024-kermit-lipton.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: MonmouthHawk
I don't get it but Kirk has done pretty well. That said Iowas D has mostly been the bell cow over the years.

Chuck Long, me, and others on one side.

Dipshits like @cmhawks99 & @Frosty7130 on the other side.

rs_1024x759-160621120438-rs_1024x759-150817131955-1024-kermit-lipton.jpg

Hmmmm, I wonder how Chuck Long would do as a Head coach??

Im assuming as well as phenomenally frantastic does at debating LOL.

I’m literally laughing out loud while talking into this phone… You are so clueless you routinely put words in people‘s mouths. I don’t remember saying anything about the quarterback coach or any of the personnel things they’ve done.

I’ve only expressed the fact that this hated coach has gotten better 20 years into his career. It’s not even debatable. So really not much else needs to be said, buy you keep on being the shining light to nothing buddy ?!

I saw you laughing at the OP. Heisman runner up Hawkeye Quarterback Legend Chuck Long disagrees with you. How you like them apples?

Chuck @SDSU 9-27, final year. 2-10, I actually wish he was coach here. Then we’d get to listen to you bitch about him. Super super funny when you think about it. The guy you’re propping up, had he been coach here. You’d be bitching about him constantly…I cant help but laugh.

Thats what happens when you become “that fan“!!

good stuff

Last edited:
The fact that Brian is the new QB coach just means Iowa’s defense has to score more and pick up the slack.

Chuck @SDSU 9-27, final year. 2-10, I actually wish he was coach here. Then we’d get to listen to you bitch about him. Super super funny when you think about it. The guy you’re propping up, had he been coach here. You’d be bitching about him constantly…I cant help but laugh.

Thats what happens when you become “that fan“!!

good stuff
Chuck Long has been a coach here. Coached our incredible quarterbacks Kyle McCann, Scott Mullen, and Randy Reiners in 1999. Don’t you remember the big controversy over whether they’d cut the Heisman Trophy into three pieces and they finally said “the hell with it” and gave it to Ron Dayne?

Reactions: Ree4
Based on what? Like numbers etc. Go
Based on my opinion. He is, at best, an average coordinator and he will now be coaching the most important position on the team and he is literally learning on the job. I do not believe the play of the QBs will be better and if they want to score more points this season, I believe the defense will need to score as many or more points than last year in order to maintain the level of team success.

Based on my opinion. He is, at best, an average coordinator and he will now be coaching the most important position on the team and he is literally learning on the job. I do not believe the play of the QBs will be better and if they want to score more points this season, I believe the defense will need to score as many or more points than last year in order to maintain the level of team success.
Appreciate the answer. I think Spencer has reached his ceiling. I also think he is a very good practice and cerebral quarterback. Unfortunately in my opinion it doesn't transfer to games. I want Brian to have full control of the offense. Because it will prove either he is good at his craft or he's not. I do remember this fan base having these exact same discussions about the offense when it came to Greg Davis, and even our beloved kok. The reason I believe it may be different this year is that Brian by assuming full control has Kirk's blessing on making certain changes that he's been wanting to make. Am I guessing? Yes but I think at the end of the season our questions will be answered. And I don't think Spencer will be the starting quarterback at the end of the season. Again just my opinion

ADVERTISEMENT