ADVERTISEMENT

QC-CHI choo choo, back on track?

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
This project is truly a zombie, lol. I had given it up for dead, but apparently it is BACK ON! (Not based solely on this article, but scuttlebutt I've picked up from ec-dev pros around here)

The plan also allocates funding for two new state-supported Amtrak corridors that faced numerous delays over the past decade. The new service to Moline, on the Illinois side of the Quad Cities region, would use the BNSF tracks already used by the state-supported Carl Sandburg/Illinois Zephyr service (which serve Galesburg and Quincy in Western Illinois), and the currently freight-only Iowa Interstate railroad tracks. The upgrades to BNSF portion have already been completed, and the plan allocates a total of $447 million to make the Iowa Interstate portion suitable for passenger trains.

Screen-Shot-2020-02-11-at-1.30.22-PM-1.png

Amtrak and IDOT originally planned to restore Black Hawk Amtrak service, which used to connect Chicago to Rockford, Freeport, and Galena, northwest Illinois, plus Dubuque, Iowa. But issues with Canadian National, which owns the tracks they were hoping to use, led them to pursue an alternative route to Rockford, using Metra’s Milwaukee District West Line tracks and the Union Pacific tracks west of Elgin. Since there is no non-CN route to the destinations further west, that part of the plan is suspended indefinitely. Tridgell confirmed that, aside from funding a feasibility study, IDOT isn’t currently looking to take that route beyond Rockford.

Reactions: cigaretteman
This project is truly a zombie, lol. I had given it up for dead, but apparently it is BACK ON! (Not based solely on this article, but scuttlebutt I've picked up from ec-dev pros around here)

The plan also allocates funding for two new state-supported Amtrak corridors that faced numerous delays over the past decade. The new service to Moline, on the Illinois side of the Quad Cities region, would use the BNSF tracks already used by the state-supported Carl Sandburg/Illinois Zephyr service (which serve Galesburg and Quincy in Western Illinois), and the currently freight-only Iowa Interstate railroad tracks. The upgrades to BNSF portion have already been completed, and the plan allocates a total of $447 million to make the Iowa Interstate portion suitable for passenger trains.

Screen-Shot-2020-02-11-at-1.30.22-PM-1.png

Amtrak and IDOT originally planned to restore Black Hawk Amtrak service, which used to connect Chicago to Rockford, Freeport, and Galena, northwest Illinois, plus Dubuque, Iowa. But issues with Canadian National, which owns the tracks they were hoping to use, led them to pursue an alternative route to Rockford, using Metra’s Milwaukee District West Line tracks and the Union Pacific tracks west of Elgin. Since there is no non-CN route to the destinations further west, that part of the plan is suspended indefinitely. Tridgell confirmed that, aside from funding a feasibility study, IDOT isn’t currently looking to take that route beyond Rockford.

Let’s talk about real trains instead

Were-off-to-run-a-train-on-your-mom-650x852.jpg

That reminds me, somehow Galesburg has a Korean restaurant but the QC doesn't. I wonder if it is due to the lack of train station.

• Haha
Reactions: QChawks
Trains burn diesel they need to get Lionel involved in this to please the "climates a changing crowd on board.

Pretty sure they are run by a person shoveling coal into an oven that helps produce steam. At least that is how I see it done on a good deal of movies I have seen.

Reactions: torbee
Linn County going to need a bigger jail, just say’n…
That's the Dim's way of saying if you have low crime rates, we'll import higher crime rates for you. Works in Murderapolis, don't see why it wouldn't for the Quad Cities.

If it keeps people like you away online or in person, it's WELL WORTH IT!

The very definition of PRICELESS.
I mean, I guess if your goal is to use your own ignorance as a form of antipathic social behavior that's your choice. Probably not super psychologically healthy, if I'm being honest, but then again so is willingly choosing to remain ignorant, so it fits the pattern.

It was a waste of money before, and it's a waste of money now. It blows my mind how people fall for the same train plans that get recycled over and over again.

Yeah, what kind of nation invests in transportation infrastructure? :rolleyes:

This is useless infrastructure. If we want to invest in high speed rail I’m all in. But Amtrak sucks, to slow and not nearly cheap enough to justify all the inconveniences that come with using it.

Give me a bullet train from New York to DC, or LA to SF. Something for the future and not this antiquated slow moving train.

This is useless infrastructure. If we want to invest in high speed rail I’m all in. But Amtrak sucks, to slow and not nearly cheap enough to justify all the inconveniences that come with using it.

Give me a bullet train from New York to DC, or LA to SF. Something for the future and not this antiquated slow moving train.
Agree with you on that one. I am afraid your fellow conservatives in elected office continue to block such efforts, so we must make do with the next-best thing, which is this.

The tracks are being upgraded to allow 70-75 mph travel, which will make the roundtrip equivalent to the same route by car, and faster if you are attempting to get to downtown Chicago anytime near a rush hour, however.

we briefly looked at taking the Amtrack train to Texas this summer to visit the in-laws
it was going to $600 for coach and take 22 hours

no thanks

we briefly looked at taking the Amtrack train to Texas this summer to visit the in-laws
it was going to $600 for coach and take 22 hours

no thanks
That's why creating a true hub-and-spoke system is needed. To utilize rail efficiently, intra-regional, intra-metro area travel is the way to go. That would actually help with the pilot/air traffic controller shortage issue as well by tamping down demand.

That reminds me, somehow Galesburg has a Korean restaurant but the QC doesn't. I wonder if it is due to the lack of train station.
Yo @Moral --- News you can use. While not a dedicated Korean restaurant, this place in Moline has a handful of Korean dishes and they do a good job:

• Love
Reactions: Moral
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT