ADVERTISEMENT

QCA Mechanics - Cruise Control

Tom Paris

HR King
Oct 1, 2001
Here is my problem - The cruise control on my car goes out intermittently. It turns on usually. Sometimes it will not set the speed. Other times it will stop working while I am driving, and in these instances it will not let me reset it.

I took the car to the dealer because it was still under warranty 2 months ago. When I took it in, the cruise was working. They run a diagnostic which shows it is working, so they just replace the set button on the steering wheel. A week later, the problem persists. I took it in again, and they can find NO problems with it. The advice I got - and I agree with - is if I am driving around and it stops working bring it to them immediately. It sounds simple, but unfortunately I am either on the way from work, or coming home from a track meet when the problem pops up.

Why are they unable to go in manually and figure out what the problem is? Clearly there is a problem. I have some very long drives coming up in the next couple of months and I don't want my cruise not working? Any ideas on what is going on, or are there any phenomenal mechanics in Davenport or QC that can fix this? Thanks in advance!

Reminds me of an incident involving my late father.

We were headed to South Dakota to fish, driving his pickup and pulling a boat. I was driving. The cruise control kept turning itself off, usually when I'd pass somebody. I was sure I wasn't hitting the brake or anything. Dad said it had never happened to him. It kept happening to me, but he swore it had never happened to him.

I finally figured it out. When I depressed the turn signal lever to change lanes, it turned off the cruise control. It had never happened to Dad because he never signaled when he changed lanes.

I miss him.

I know what I would do. I would take it to the dealer and raise hell with them until they replace the entire cruise control unit. If they won't do that, make sure it's listed on their records as being under warranty so that if it goes out of warranty they will be obligated to replace it. I would also call them every time if goes out, and bitch about it so that they may eventually get tired of you calling and they will replace it. Last resort, call the company headquarters and complain. You're welcome!
3dsmile.r191677.gif

A buddy of mine recently had a brake issue where the brake warning light was stuck on, but the car drove and braked perfectly fine. Turns out it was a faulty emergency brake sensor. When the sensor would register the EB as being deployed, it would turn off his cruise control also.

Is your EB handle in a spot where you can accidently touch it with your leg or hands at all?

No. The cruise did stop working the other day the same time the "check engine" light came on...which never happened before. My cruise worked this morning but the engine light has been on for about 4 days now. I have put gas in and made sure the gas cap is on tight...no change. It's just stupid. Now the car is past warranty also.

I put a call into the dealer and the girl said they can't just fix it when it is working. There isn't a component to just replace. This sounds like bullcrap. I then left a message for her boss on his voicemail, and I guess I will call him every day until he returns the call. Then when he makes something up, call the general manager of the dealership.

Check engine lights can take a couple days to clear for a gas cap thing.

Just curious, what kind of car are we talking about here? Year, make, model?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT