ADVERTISEMENT

Quad Cities Thread

While we have obviously put our fellow Hawkeye Bretheren to shame with the sheer number of Great Dive Food places to eat at here in the QC, one place we lack is BBQ. Jim's Rib Haven just has not been the same since the old man died and there ain't much meat on them bones. Anyone have a great location for BBQ?

McNeals Smokehouse? new to me?

Smokin Butt BBQ out at the Red Hawk G.C. new to me as well?

Armored Gardens? never eaten there?

Big Mouthz? Ate it once, years ago?
In before some jackhole says famous dave's

While we have obviously put our fellow Hawkeye Bretheren to shame with the sheer number of Great Dive Food places to eat at here in the QC, one place we lack is BBQ. Jim's Rib Haven just has not been the same since the old man died and there ain't much meat on them bones. Anyone have a great location for BBQ?

Didnt Armored Gardens abandon the bbq?

Reactions: Tom Paris

It is a problem in the QC.

One place a little far afield is called Big Katz Barbecue in Knoxville, Illinois. They make a nice brisket.

front-entrance.jpg

I recently tried Roosters in Rock Island on a recommendation from a friend who said they had the best chicken wings in town. I had them and they are very, very good. It's the old church converted to a restaurant near Rozz Tox downtown. I haven't had their other meat products.

There is more to the QC's than filling
your stomach with food. We need to
talk about the recreational & cultural
opportunities here.

Reactions: Bro D
No longer open. His BBQ was the best in the QC but he was an extremely poor business owner. It's a shame because him being down at Mound Street was awesome. They've since replaced it with The Diner (not BBQ) that has a small but good bar food menu

Reactions: torbee
opportunities here.
On a warm summer day
the Channel Cat water taxi
can provide for a delightful
way to cross the ol' mighty
misses sip.

It is a problem in the QC.

One place a little far afield is called Big Katz Barbecue in Knoxville, Illinois. They make a nice brisket.

front-entrance.jpg

I recently tried Roosters in Rock Island on a recommendation from a friend who said they had the best chicken wings in town. I had them and they are very, very good. It's the old church converted to a restaurant near Rozz Tox downtown. I haven't had their other meat products.

I still favor the filling station for wings. Especially since they have Kona big wave on tap to go with them.

Reactions: Pete in LA
No longer open. His BBQ was the best in the QC but he was an extremely poor business owner. It's a shame because him being down at Mound Street was awesome. They've since replaced it with The Diner (not BBQ) that has a small but good bar food menu
I feel like he was cooking it out of some bar somewhere once again.

When they were in that little shack thing on Brady Street (I think it was the former bikini coffee shop place, lol) they had damn good food. But yeah, they never seemed to know how to actually SELL it.

opportunities here.
Bix Fest used to be a wonderful
event held after the Bix race but
a bad decision was made to hold
those events on different weekends,
taking a way a built-in lively
audience to attend the jazz concert
by the river.

I still favor the filling station for wings. Especially since they have Kona big wave on tap to go with them.
I was really disappointed the last time I went there for wings. Burger was not good as well. They still pack people in though. Amazing, that place has been a hot spot for 50 years.

Tug Fest is always fun in LeClaire.

We have a First Class art museum. Always good stuff being brought in.

Christkindlmarkt is fun, I hope it keeps evolving.

I never understood why we never had an Oktoberfest here in Davenport what with our German Heritage?

Yeah!

Hell, the German American Heritage Center could sponsor it.

We need more drunkfests!
If those Viking American and the other River Cruises take off, that could be a nice jolt for the Downtown.

With that new $35M YMCA being built downtown, What is going to happen to the old one? Has anyone heard anything?

Christkindlmarkt is fun, I hope it keeps evolving.

I never understood why we never had an Oktoberfest here in Davenport what with our German Heritage?
It is hard to get traction with those. Even in DSM it isn't a big deal, and there is a concentrated downtown area where it is held rather than being spread out in separate cities, with a river bifurcating them.

If those Viking American and the other River Cruises take off, that could be a nice jolt for the Downtown.

With that new $35M YMCA being built downtown, What is going to happen to the old one? Has anyone heard anything?
I don't know but that corner is ripe for gentrification.

I have heard that the building the old Big 10 Pub used to be in (pretty sure it's a meth/crack den now) is also being refurbished and gentrified.

Have you been to that cool new coffee shop across the street from it? They have really, really good coffee - probably as good or better than Red Band.

It is hard to get traction with those. Even in DSM it isn't a big deal, and there is a concentrated downtown area where it is held rather than being spread out in separate cities, with a river bifurcating them.
Ya, but those pussies in Des Moines don't drink like Quad Citians.

Just need to get someone like Sean Moeller to launch it.

I don't know but that corner is ripe for gentrification.

I have heard that the building the old Big 10 Pub used to be in (pretty sure it's a meth/crack den now) is also being refurbished and gentrified.

Have you been to that cool new coffee shop across the street from it? They have really, really good coffee - probably as good or better than Red Band.
Charges like it is pissed out of Unicorns too!

I really like the Alternating Currents time.. local music in the QC is great.. but I really wish they'd bring back the River Roots concert that had the Rib Fest at the same time

Reactions: BigDelHawk
Seems like Scott county would offer multiple cracks at pretrial diversion programs if you have paid any taxes in the last 10 years.

Torbee,

have you heard anything about this? Was this a pipe dream that never took off?

https://qctimes.com/news/local/one-...cle_95cb3644-5501-5f13-966f-ec5dfd53467b.html
Funny you should ask.

On the QC Times Facebook post on the story, I asked why there was nothing in it about the cost/financing/business plan - and the guy quoted in it came into the comments to basically say "oh, we haven't done that part yet, but we're working on it" and that is when I knew it was never going to happen, lol.

If I saw correctly, they are trying to make a new TIF zone in Davenport that would include the old Rainbow District. What with the old Oscar Plant being torn down, that would make an ideal location for some Brownstone type housing. 8 city blocks of it some with river view. Pipe dream, but a good employer moving in downtown could help to cement it.

Funny you should ask.

On the QC Times Facebook post on the story, I asked why there was nothing in it about the cost/financing/business plan - and the guy quoted in it came into the comments to basically say "oh, we haven't done that part yet, but we're working on it" and that is when I knew it was never going to happen, lol.
He was looking to sell shares.

I really like the Alternating Currents time.. local music in the QC is great.. but I really wish they'd bring back the River Roots concert that had the Rib Fest at the same time
Alternating Currents is a great concept and is working well.

Reactions: Bro D
Let us not forget the Scott County Fair. For whatever reason, country western fans love that venue and the people they bring in to play.

Taxslayer Arena. In comparison, the US Cellular Center in CR only has 8 events in March.
Zac Brown Band
TaxSlayer Center - Moline, IL
Feb 28, 2020
Fri 7:00 PM
World Championship Ice Racing
Feb 29, 2020
Sat 7:30 PM
Quad City Storm vs. Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
Mar 6, 2020
Fri 7:10 PM
Quad City Storm vs. Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
Mar 7, 2020
Sat 7:10 PM
Quad City Storm vs. Birmingham Bulls
Mar 8, 2020
Sun 1:00 PM
Missouri Valley Womens Conference Tournament - Opening Round
Mar 12, 2020
Thu 4:05 PM
Missouri Valley Womens Conference Tournament - Quarterfinals
Mar 13, 2020
Fri 12:05 PM
Missouri Valley Womens Conference Tournament - Quarterfinals
Mar 13, 2020
Fri 6:05 PM
Missouri Valley Womens Conference Tournament - Semifinals
Mar 14, 2020
Sat 1:35 PM
Missouri Valley Womens Conference Tournament - Championship Game
Mar 15, 2020
Sun 2:05 PM
Quad City Storm vs. Pensacola Ice Flyers
Mar 17, 2020
Tue 6:10 PM
One Night Of Queen - Gary Mullen and The Works
Mar 18, 2020
Wed 7:30 PM
TobyMac
Mar 20, 2020
Fri 7:00 PM
Quad City Steamwheelers vs. Arizona Rattlers
Mar 21, 2020
Sat 7:05 PM
The Harlem Globetrotters
Mar 22, 2020
Sun 2:00 PM
Quad City Storm vs. Fayetteville Marksmen
Mar 26, 2020
Thu 7:10 PM
Mar 27, 2020
Fri 7:10 PM
Mar 28, 2020
Sat 7:10 PM
WWE: Live
Mar 29, 2020
Sun 7:00 PM

Reactions: damayason
The Rust Belt, Moeller is doing great things there and people from all over the Midwest travel to Davenport to hear their favorite bands for pennies of what it costs elsewhere.

The Rust Belt, Moeller is doing great things there and people from all over the Midwest travel to Davenport to hear their favorite bands for pennies of what it costs elsewhere.
You needed to Lute this up better.

The Rust Belt
Moeller is doing great things there
and people from all over the Midwest
travel to Davenport to hear
their favorite bands for pennies
of what it costs elsewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT