ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterback Guru - Brian Ferentz

WinOneThisCentury II

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2021
I'll admit...I didn't see this one coming. Brian coaching the QBs. It makes sense and other programs do it...although their experience coaching QBs specifically is more focused then Brian's experience. Let's face it...an OC is with the QB all day anyway. I would love to see them bring on someone with expertise around mechanics. That's what's been missing.

The Hodge add to the offensive room will be positive. He's flat out a great leader and was as a player. That never goes away...he will be a positive on the offensive toughness.

Brian coaching the QBs. It makes sense
gary-coleman-confused.gif

So KF would have us hayseeds believe he scoured the nation, and the best QB coach out there was . . . his own son! What are the odds? Statistically, one of the worst OCs in the country--a guy who took the job with NO experience in such a role--turns out to be the nation's best available QB coach, albeit with NO experience in such a role. What good fortune for KF! What a grand day for Hawkeye nation! What a coup for nepotism!

Even though this is exactly what I cynically expected to happen, I wasn't sure even KF had the gall to actually do it. But when GarBar has your back and the rest of your rich friends rubber stamp everything you do, I guess there's no downside. A head coach with no accountability can do whatever the hell he wants and, as usual, KF ain't wastin' that opportunity. And so Ferentz Football Inc., formerly known as the University of Iowa Hawkeyes, marches on.

So KF would have us hayseeds believe he scoured the nation, and the best QB coach out there was . . . his own son! What are the odds? Statistically, one of the worst OCs in the country--a guy who took the job with NO experience in such a role--turns out to be the nation's best available QB coach, albeit with NO experience in such a role. What good fortune for KF! What a grand day for Hawkeye nation! What a coup for nepotism!

Even though this is exactly what I cynically expected to happen, I wasn't sure even KF had the gall to actually do it. But when GarBar has your back and the rest of your rich friends rubber stamp everything you do, I guess there's no downside. A head coach with no accountability can do whatever the hell he wants and, as usual, KF ain't wastin' that opportunity. And so Ferentz Football Inc., formerly known as the University of Iowa Hawkeyes, marches on.
I’ll be honest, even I’m surprised by this.

I don’t get it. This is really disappointing. Not sure how this moves the needle for better production out of the offense and quarterback position.

I really was in favor of Kirk coaching for the foreseeable future provided he get serious about upgrading the offense. This hire pretty much says he’s not. Ridiculous.

I’ll be honest, even I’m surprised by this.

I don’t get it. This is really disappointing. Not sure how this moves the needle for better production out of the offense and quarterback position.

I really was in favor of Kirk coaching for the foreseeable future provided he get serious about upgrading the offense. This hire pretty much says he’s not. Ridiculous.
He it definitely seems like from comments from KF and BF and then this move that they are just doubling down on what hasn't been working.

So KOK and BF wanted to pick up the pace of the offense....KF does not want to and KOK basically says...enough for me. So now KF puts his in in the worst possible spot if he chooses to continue to have the offense run the way HE wants it to run. I guess its a great paycheck but if the offense looks the same then that means it is still KFs offense and this is all just bull crap anyway.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
This might be the biggest head shaker ever.
Brian wrestled and played football in high school.
Always played with his hand down. A QB , much like a Pitcher has so many techniques they need to perfect but more than that is a real delicate mental balance. As a coach you constantly try to keep both these positions at a High Confidence level, I don’t see BF having the necessary expertise or demeanor to get this right.
Prove me wrong.

Why precisely do people take issue ... apart from the fact that many of you simply seem to believe that Brian has a mediocre football mind? Also, for the record ... most of you don't understand football at a high level beyond "tourist level" ... so most casual fans possess little, if any, credibility.

Here's why it makes sense:
  • The main thing that Iowa's QB coach does is teach the QB how to read the game. Iowa's QB coach does NOT focus upon arm mechanics or things like that. Thus, the sort of minutia that might be outside of Brian's wheel-house isn't even the sort of thing he'd be worrying about anyhow.
  • It's important for the QB and the OC to be on the same page. Who better to help the QB be on the same page as the OC than the OC?
  • You don't need to be a former QB to be a QB coach ... you just need to understand the game of football. For example, O'Keefe was a former WR. He didn't even play at one of the more "cerebral" positions. In contrast, by playing at center ... Brian at least has prior experience playing at a "cerebral" football position. The QB, the center, the MIKE LB, and the FS are typically the most cerebral football positions given their responsibilities.
Also, suppose that Brian really was looking at NFL gigs. Maybe the allure of being QB coach was something that helped Kirk to retain him?

The only way this makes any sense to me is if Brian and KOK didn’t get along very well. I could see Brian convincing KF that if just given freedom to run the whole offense, he could get it done and would prove it on the field.

Reactions: hawkdave007
Yep, I was thinking the same. This shows it's time for him to go. More concerned with improving his family's fortunes and staying within his comfort zone than improving Iowa football.

Last edited:

Why precisely do people take issue ... apart from the fact that many of you simply seem to believe that Brian has a mediocre football mind? Also, for the record ... most of you don't understand football at a high level beyond "tourist level" ... so most casual fans possess little, if any, credibility.

• The main thing that Iowa's QB coach does is teach the QB how to read the game. Iowa's QB coach does NOT focus upon arm mechanics or things like that. Thus, the sort of minutia that might be outside of Brian's wheel-house isn't even the sort of thing he'd be worrying about anyhow.
  • It's important for the QB and the OC to be on the same page. Who better to help the QB be on the same page as the OC than the OC?
  • You don't need to be a former QB to be a QB coach ... you just need to understand the game of football. For example, O'Keefe was a former WR. He didn't even play at one of the more "cerebral" positions. In contrast, by playing at center ... Brian at least has prior experience playing at a "cerebral" football position. The QB, the center, the MIKE LB, and the FS are typically the most cerebral football positions given their responsibilities.
Also, suppose that Brian really was looking at NFL gigs. Maybe the allure of being QB coach was something that helped Kirk to retain him?
I will a gree to disagree.

I will a gree to disagree.
I have no desire to enforce like-mindedness among people. But would you care to support your position?

I get that the Hawks had a shitty O last season ... however, in cases such as those ... how can you fairly assess causation when there were known personnel issues on the squad?

Does Brian have to improve? Sure.
Is Brian culpable for some of the issues? Sure.
Is Brian the sole cause of the ills? Ahhh ... no ... not even close.

What is your argument? If you care to share one?

The OC and QB already spend a ton of time together at any school with it being the most important piece of the offense by far. So by cutting out the middle man of someone else as the QB coach isn't going to change a ton and they damn well should be on the same page no matter who the QB coach is. Iowa has struggled greatly the last 2 years with QB play so we bring in a coach who has absolutely zero experience coaching the most important position on the team? The one position we need the most improvement on for next season. Not only that besides maybe our 8 game COVID season his 5 years as our OC has been to put it nicely below avg at best. People can talk about BF's "football mind" but college football is a results based business and his performance isn't cutting it. College coaching ranks are littered with fired coaches and coordinators who all have good football minds (reasons they got the jobs they had in the first place) and lot of them above BF's football acumen. On top of it the shining example of BF coaching career everyone points to his 2 yrs coaching TE for NE. So a position he's had good history with we move him out of to a position he's never coached and replace him with a person who hasn't coached, which TE far easier to coach with no experience than QB.

Also I highly doubt the son coaching for his Dad passed on looking for NFL jobs because of switching from TE to QB coach on top of being the OC already. If so that's pretty pathetic reason by KF.

I just love the super football minds on this board. I don't claim to be Lou S or any super football brain but have coached some High School football. Just sit back and look at the coaching staff at Iowa that the winney fans on this board run down every day. They managed to win ten games last year with what I consider pretty average talent. A very young OL below average QB RB that had some good points but had to many plays where he lost yardage. What they had was an above defense which they took full advantage of to win 10 games by playing field position and close games. No way could Iowa have won 10 games any other way. No big offense display would have did it.

How many people on here are giving Brian crap and solid advice on how to coach and yet really don't know sh-t? Typical for this site... But I think I do agree that it would have been beneficial to have hired someone who played QB and knows what to look for while looking at the defense.

I just love the super football minds on this board. I don't claim to be Lou S or any super football brain but have coached some High School football. Just sit back and look at the coaching staff at Iowa that the winney fans on this board run down every day. They managed to win ten games last year with what I consider pretty average talent. A very young OL below average QB RB that had some good points but had to many plays where he lost yardage. What they had was an above defense which they took full advantage of to win 10 games by playing field position and close games. No way could Iowa have won 10 games any other way. No big offense display would have did it.
Iowa had a stupidly easy schedule. They beat no one above average. That’s how they win ten games. Bad teams make mistakes. I’m just thankful Iowa isn’t a sloppy and bad team. They were average, they beat other average teams. Their offense was ranked 105, thsts below average and indicates not good coaching. I’m not surprised many are upset with these coaching changes.

How many people on here are giving Brian crap and solid advice on how to coach and yet really don't know sh-t? Typical for this site... But I think I do agree that it would have been beneficial to have hired someone who played QB and knows what to look for while looking at the defense.

Bi polar?

Jim Caldwell was a great QB coach. He was a DB during his playing career. You don’t have to be a former QB to be a very successful QB coach or OC.

Regarding Brian Ferentz, we have seen him call great games where execution failed. I think if the offense does not show significant improvement this year a much bigger change will happen next January. Personally I am rooting for him.

I nominate this for stupid post of the year. I know it's early, but this one will be really hard to surpass.
Pretty sure you've cornered the market on stupidity, I've read several of your posts. Worst OC in my history and now he's going to teach QB's?! Only a KF homer would like this pick!

Jim Caldwell was a great QB coach. He was a DB during his playing career. You don’t have to be a former QB to be a very successful QB coach or OC.

Regarding Brian Ferentz, we have seen him call great games where execution failed. I think if the offense does not show significant improvement this year a much bigger change will happen next January. Personally I am rooting for him.
You don’t have to be, but I’m sure there was hesitation with Jim until he became a proven commodity. Given Brian’s history of mediocrity with the offense, I’m very skeptical. It’s possible he may change all of our minds, but I highly doubt it with Spencer Petras at QB.
The reason so many people are upset, and rightfully so imo, is because Iowa has been one average-QB away from cruising to the B1GCCG every year since 2015 and our answer for that is… Brian Ferentz and nepotism. We are in desperate need of improvement in the offense, and it’s clear that after 5 full years that Brian isn’t the answer. This isn’t complaining or whining, this is justifiably true. There is no reason a program like Iowa should have one of the bottom 7 offenses and QBs, even accounting for our offensive play style.

Pretty sure you've cornered the market on stupidity, I've read several of your posts. Worst OC in my history and now he's going to teach QB's?! Only a KF homer would like this pick!
Show where I said I like this pick dumbass. All I've said is that I have zero control, so I'm gonna sit back and see what happens. Oh...and watch people like you melt down. It's really quite entertaining.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Is it April 1st today? This is insane. Brian has been a failure as OC. I like the Hodge hire; but, on offense? His highest expertise has to be on defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT