ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterback Guru - Brian Ferentz

The thing is that this is a discussion board. It’s not as if we’re out there marching on Iowa City for their heads. We’re venting our frustrations and the fact that some people on this board are 100% content with a bottom 7 offense.
I don't think there's a single person on this board that is 100% content with a bottom 7 offense. Hyperbole much?
When people post crap like this, it just looks....stupid. Iowa's offense sucked last year. Nobody liked it. Many liked 10 wins, but nobody thought the offense was good enough.

And y'all were happy as hell that they extended this boob...our bed is made for years to come....what a freaking joke!!!

I suppose you'd fire a 10 win coach? If you don't extend, you pretty much have to fire him or recruiting would suffer. You can't have a coach with less than 4-5 years on the contract or players won't feel comfortable committing.

Holy crap, come to the free board and you understand why some people aren't on the premium board....too stupid to earn enough to afford it.

• Haha
Reactions: PIEPI and frydaze
I suppose you'd fire a 10 win coach? If you don't extend, you pretty much have to fire him or recruiting would suffer. You can't have a coach with less than 4-5 years on the contract or players won't feel comfortable committing.

Holy crap, come to the free board and you understand why some people aren't on the premium board....too stupid to earn enough to afford it.
Not head coach few who want that at Iowa with KF are dumb. but you see many successful programs like Ohio St or OU in the past fire DC because that unit wasn’t holding up their end.

Reactions: obfuscating
One thing I will be interested in is what type of QB does BF recruit from here on out?

Not head coach few who want that at Iowa with KF are dumb. but you see many successful programs like Ohio St or OU in the past fire DC because that unit wasn’t holding up their end.
Yeah, most successful programs don't really tolerate that kind of abysmal performance from their coaches.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
I don't think there's a single person on this board that is 100% content with a bottom 7 offense. Hyperbole much?
When people post crap like this, it just looks....stupid. Iowa's offense sucked last year. Nobody liked it. Many liked 10 wins, but nobody thought the offense was good enough.
KF thought the offense was run so well, he promoted the OC to include QB coach.

How true is that really? A few years ago sure...but with transfer flexibility I have to wonder how true that is. Still partially correct but less of a factor these days id imagine.

KF thought the offense was run so well, he promoted the OC to include QB coach.
I wouldn't necessarily say that it is viewed as a promotion.

Ken wanted to step away ... and so it probably made more sense for the QBs to see the game through Brian's eyes. Having the QBs more on the same page as the OC is generally a good thing.

Also, by NOT coaching the QBs previously ... Brian may not have appreciated the burden he was putting on his QBs and the tough job he was putting at the feet of Ken. By working explicitly with the QBs, Brian will have a much better idea of what his QBs know/understand and what they don't know/understand. That makes it a lot easier for him to simplify as needed ... which could help as it relates to the QBs "overthinking."

Of course, there will also be the question as to how much of learning curve there will be for Brian to teach QBs ... he clearly has the knowledge base ... however, the real key will be how well he can communicate and teach it (in an understandable fashion). He's shown that he can do so at other positions - so the teaching side of things might not require the biggest leap for him.

Ken wanted to step away ... and so it probably made more sense for the QBs to see the game through Brian's eyes. Having the QBs more on the same page as the OC is generally a good thing.

Also, by NOT coaching the QBs previously ... Brian may not have appreciated the burden he was putting on his QBs and the tough job he was putting at the feet of Ken. By working explicitly with the QBs, Brian will have a much better idea of what his QBs know/understand and what they don't know/understand. That makes it a lot easier for him to simplify as needed ... which could help as it relates to the QBs "overthinking."

Of course, there will also be the question as to how much of learning curve there will be for Brian to teach QBs ... he clearly has the knowledge base ... however, the real key will be how well he can communicate and teach it (in an understandable fashion). He's shown that he can do so at other positions - so the teaching side of things might not require the biggest leap for him.
I tend to agree. So, let's say that BF isn't a good OC or QB coach. I'm far from convinced that KOK was a good OC or QB coach.

So, assuming that the QB position isn't brain surgery, how many voices should the QB hear? I mean in the pros, you have pretty much unlimited time to work with the QB - studying film, breaking down defenses. How much time do they have in college? Both the OC and QB coach need to interact with the QB - it doesn't seem to me that there is enough room for 2 coaches.

If our 2 oldest qb still doesn't understand the system, we have serious issues...

If our 2 oldest qb still doesn't understand the system, we have serious issues...
Is that how you'd hypothetically pose things?

It strikes me that the issue had less to do with understanding the system ... and more with the effects of latency in how they processed it. Or, probably more accurately ... processing the relevant data while "under fire." There's a reason why part of the strategy of a defensive coordinator is to see if they can manage to play "mind games" with the opposing QB.

Away from the field - Padilla and Petras likely be able to dissect film quite well and explain what exactly is going on. So conveying an understanding over longer timescales, under less stressful circumstances ... I bet you they can handle it.

I'll be curious to see how the deployment of the O (particularly to the QB) changes through the coming years. Maybe more focus on processing things fast ... with a more gradual weaving in of more strategy and responsibility?

There a lot of great practice players and smart players, especially QBs. They cannot mentally or emotionally handle live game speed, although last year's line certainly did neither QB any really great pass blocking

Spencer is going to be a coach, unless he hits it big in country music.

Away from the field - Padilla and Petras likely be able to dissect film quite well and explain what exactly is going on. So conveying an understanding over longer timescales, under less stressful circumstances ... I bet you they can handle it.
?
Either you can handle the pressure and work on the fly or you'll buckle and flop.

Imo that's not very teachable and no reason to think a 1st year QB coach is gonna magically teach that after other experts have failed to help them.

ADVERTISEMENT