ADVERTISEMENT

Question about MLB/COVID/Taxi squads

Jul 30, 2004
All,

This last week saw the Miami Marlins (major COVID outbreak), Philadelphia Phillies (played Miami during outbreak, a couple of positive tests) and Washington Nationals (supposed to play Miami) not play any games.

Over the weekend, the St. Louis Cardinals had all 3 games against Milwaukee cancelled due to a COVID spread.

My question is this: why wasn't the 30-man "taxi squad" bussed into town to replace the big league squad so that the games could still be played? While this would be a competitive disadvantage, it would allow for some scheduling continuity, and could create more stringent protocols.

For example, St. Louis could have had their taxi squad in Milwaukee on Saturday morning, gotten them tested, and had them play a 3 games in 2 days.

I asked the same thing when the Cardinals situation happened. I don't understand having the taxi squad unless they would fill in for the team in that situation.

I agree,.. the process should be put a team of healthy bodies on the field or forfeit...

Reactions: mcgrawfsu
I agree,.. the process should be put a team of healthy bodies on the field or forfeit...

This. I have no clue how they are going to make up the games lost. This is total common sense, and should have been spelled out ahead of time. Perhaps teams would have been even more buttoned up with their protocols had they known an outbreak would result in taking the field with a AAA team, or forfeiting.

ADVERTISEMENT