ADVERTISEMENT

Question about NIL

grapplefann

HR All-American
Oct 3, 2010
If a wrestler gets enough money from NIL to cover Tuition, Room & Board, Fees, Books, and Taxes, can they decline the scholarship money to allow another wrestler to use that portion of the 9.9 that they were expected to get?

In other words, could NIL change the parity in money that the 9.9 cap was supposed to create? This would be an example where fan support through the sale of NIL directly affects the competitiveness of the team.

I can guess the answer, but I'd like to hear what some others think. Should this bother anyone?

I'll save you the suspense, Penn State only wins because of money.
yeah-what-he-said.jpg

If a wrestler gets enough money from NIL to cover Tuition, Room & Board, Fees, Books, and Taxes, can they decline the scholarship money to allow another wrestler to use that portion of the 9.9 that they were expected to get?

In other words, could NIL change the parity in money that the 9.9 cap was supposed to create? This would be an example where fan support through the sale of NIL directly affects the competitiveness of the team.

I can guess the answer, but I'd like to hear what some others think. Should this bother anyone?
Yes, nothing requires a student athlete to take scholarship money. Any material difference in a family's financial well-being would seem to be the only factor.

I don't believe the 9.9 scholarships for wrestling have much if anything to do with creating parity. Rather, they are a means to control university costs for non-revenue sports.

I am looking forward to the day when the NCAA removes its scholarship limits now that NIL monies can be used to address cost.

But the Hawkeye fan base may spend more money on NIL than the PSU fan base. More NIL money might mean more money for tuition and the rest. I wasn't thinking specifically about Penn State. Thanks 98 for a good response
I don't know how much a fan or collective fanbase is really interested in transferring their wealth to a particular student athlete, who they may not really know.

Time will tell whether the nascent NIL organizations have a greater team impact from the collective fanbase perspective than the few wealthy fan/business owners do.

I wasn't thinking of either PSU or Iowa, in particular. I am moreso interested in what the NCAA might legally do, if its member universities start seeing more donors bypass the scholarship funds under their control.

I don't know how much a fan or collective fanbase is really interested in transferring their wealth to a particular student athlete, who they may not really know.

Time will tell whether the nascent NIL organizations have a greater team impact from the collective fanbase perspective than the few wealthy fan/business owners do.

I wasn't thinking of either PSU or Iowa, in particular. I am moreso interested in what the NCAA might legally do, if its member universities start seeing more donors bypass the scholarship funds under their control.
Exactly.

Reactions: Gobblin
But the Hawkeye fan base may spend more money on NIL than the PSU fan base. More NIL money might mean more money for tuition and the rest. I wasn't thinking specifically about Penn State. Thanks 98 for a good response
Weren't you just defending smalls on a different post and then he turns around and back hands you on a well stated honest question here??

To be clear, I am all for whatever creates more opportunities for a young person to pursue their dreams. It matters not to me whether that dream involves Iowa or Pennsylvania (or both considering the portal).

I am not a big fan of those with attitudes akin to Aesop's dog in the manger. I am all for Iowa fans creating greater NILs along with state-of-the-art wrestling complex. Raise the bar for all.

Media reports regarding the monie($) being paid high profile Division I athletes are substantial. Today I noted a report of a highly rated Division I quarterback receiving a NIL contract priced at $8 million. Wow. This is not the only commentary I have recently read/heard regarding this issue. Reports on forums similar to this board (HR) indicate University of Iowa athletes receiving some significant monies for NIL contracts.

I have not seen any of these reported contracts, nor have I read any NIL contracts provided NCAA athletes. I am not able to verify any of what I’ve heard/read about NIL contracts, but if accurate it’s good to see athletes benefiting from their accomplishments.

What I can report with an extraordinary measure of truth; a rising tide lifts all boats.

also, M* called me this morning. I'll let you know what we talked about in a future post.
I'm going to have to text him later to see if he actually gave Broken Clock a call. Curious just called you for the hell of it on his own or was returning a phone call from you???

Reactions: 24 so far
If we want to do this ( once we are all done funding the new building) we can pool our resources for the Cesspool Champions Chaired Position (we can workshop the name),

But we need it performance based, so we probably need enough to pay out, say, $25 grand for champs? Or maybe something like 1 grand per point scored at the national tourney, plus a bonus for team and individual titles?

Now we just need to decide what the recipients are going to shill for us...🤔

I'll save you the suspense, Penn State only wins because of money.
Your BS is getting old here and I have always given you a fair shake. To deny the fact that they simply have had the resources and have had 5x as many #1’s as any of other top schools makes a bad look for you.
Besides it’s seems now you are just becoming a troll like the rest of them.
You explain how they can maintain so many top tier recruits with only 9.9, please tell me some are not receiving additional money or they are paying there own way with a straight face. You cannot be that naïve to actually think they may be skirting the lines a bit.

My enjoyment of college athletics was based on coaches building a program through recruiting and development of student athletes. Sure some programs had some advantages but scholarship limits and transfer rules did a lot to keep some level of competitive equality. This athlete goes to the highest bidder stuff is garbage. The unrestricted transfers allow never ending free agency. I can see letting kids transfer unrestricted if the coach leaves. But loyalty and commitment are out the window with how things are now. Loyalty is to the $$$, and instant gratification. What we have here is pro sports without the things built into pro sports that try to maintain parity. Contracts, salary caps, draft pick order, compensatory draft picks are all things that are in place for professional sports to regulate competition and none of that exists in college now. It's gone from athletics being an extracurricular activity for students to being a student now a side gig to get payoffs.

Not sure whether you were serious, but search results indicate the NCAA still bans performance-based NILs.
Pffttt.. Rules!!!

Guess we just have to informally let it be known that the cesspoolers like to sponsor winners.

I thought some of the deals FB players (Ewers, others) were contingent on them getting playing time/starting? I admittedly don't know details though, so maybe i made that up

Your BS is getting old here and I have always given you a fair shake. To deny the fact that they simply have had the resources and have had 5x as many #1’s as any of other top schools makes a bad look for you.
Besides it’s seems now you are just becoming a troll like the rest of them.
You explain how they can maintain so many top tier recruits with only 9.9, please tell me some are not receiving additional money or they are paying there own way with a straight face. You cannot be that naïve to actually think they may be skirting the lines a bit.
it's a joke, simpleton. ffs you're a slapnuts.

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
M* has a prize hog named Willie. that's all i get.
I have a buddy who is a hog farmer and wrestling junkie, and I haven't seen the layout personally but he told me has sections or bins or something in some of his buildings named by wrestling weight class. NW corner is 125 lbs., the next one over is 133 lbs, etc. Guy likes his wrestling............🙂

why do people on HR act like they own the joint?

"if you don't like it, get out"

"get off our boards"

that's not how the internet works, guys.
I agreed with most of your posts in this thread and am glad you are here, but this take is a little ridiculous.

It's not like HR is the only site on the Internet. There are billions of toilets in the world, no reason for random strangers to have to $h!t in mine!

I've spent about ten minutes on other teams sites, and have maybe a handful of posts on the PSU site; I think it's been at least two years since I've been there, so I have no idea what goes on, but Id admonish any hawk fans being dumb over there.

... Sure some programs had some advantages but scholarship limits and transfer rules did a lot to keep some level of competitive equality. This athlete goes to the highest bidder stuff is garbage. The unrestricted transfers allow never ending free agency. I can see letting kids transfer unrestricted if the coach leaves. But loyalty and commitment are out the window with how things are now. Loyalty is to the $$$, and instant gratification...

Intercollegiate athletics / NCAA regulated athletics has never been a level playing field (pun intended). Recent Supreme Court opinions (NCAA vs Alston et al) clearly restricted, and clearly constrained the legal reach of the NCAA. Additional regulatory changes are certain to follow, absent substantive and real NCAA reform. I would anticipate the NCAA’s control (read financial control) over intercollegiate athletics will continue to erode.

March Madness is upon us! Anybody notice the ubiquitous gaming advertisements during the basketball television timeouts? Where does all that television and gaming money go? For the NCAA it will be mortal combat, a life-death struggle for that money.

Reactions: GG121AND2
I agreed with most of your posts in this thread and am glad you are here, but this take is a little ridiculous.

It's not like HR is the only site on the Internet. There are billions of toilets in the world, no reason for random strangers to have to $h!t in mine!

I've spent about ten minutes on other teams sites, and have maybe a handful of posts on the PSU site; I think it's been at least two years since I've been there, so I have no idea what goes on, but Id admonish any hawk fans being dumb over there.
There are plenty of idiots on the PSU site, just as there are here. I have tried on several occasion to talk wrestling and it goes fine for a while, then the morons jump into it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT