ADVERTISEMENT

Question about NIL

A lot of people go to work for the money and b/c they like it better than the next best option. Willie’s work just happens to be online wrestling-related, so hardly an earth-shattering point there …
It is for who I was explaining it to 😉

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
Yeah I know what he is here for jack, but to make sly remarks to Iowa fans while defending the other guys directly after a disappointing March is probably not a good marketing strategy!
Oh trust me, I’m not a fan of him either. I’m sure he’ll respond to this and cry like the whiny … nvm I’ll calm down.

Oh trust me, I’m not a fan of him either. I’m sure he’ll respond to this and cry like the whiny … nvm I’ll calm down.
I really don’t mind him that much, he is better than most. He won’t respond because he cannot answer the questions honestly. This is why he plays the (it was a joke) card and skirts around making a comment about something he may know is true, but would hurt his connection to a certain school.
It’s a catch 22 for him and that’s why if he is smart he would not make stupid comments around here because he will get called out on them and then he will be backed into a corner that he will not be able to joke his way out of.

If a wrestler gets enough money from NIL to cover Tuition, Room & Board, Fees, Books, and Taxes, can they decline the scholarship money to allow another wrestler to use that portion of the 9.9 that they were expected to get?

NIL is taxable as income, so to cover everything for an out of state kid you're talking $75k+ a year gross to negate a "full" scholy

You also have the obvious issue of kids wanting to keep the NIL as opposed to simply handing it over to a university that might have given them close to a full otherwise. I view NIL as incremental to the traditional scholarship offer.

Short of a Gable Stevenson or maybe a Spencer Lee your are not going to see hardly any kids generating that kind of dough.

Wrestling isn't big time Football. There will be some, but very few in this strata. You could count on one hand Nationwide how many each year, and don't assume these will all map to the top four programs on the country.

Reactions: grapplefann
I really don’t mind him that much, he is better than most. He won’t respond because he cannot answer the questions honestly. This is why he plays the (it was a joke) card and skirts around making a comment about something he may know is true, but would hurt his connection to a certain school.
It’s a catch 22 for him and that’s why if he is smart he would not make stupid comments around here because he will get called out on them and then he will be backed into a corner that he will not be able to joke his way out of.
But, if you just give someone a little leeway, you might learn somethings without that someone realizing they have a “tell.” Could be more in what’s not said.

Sometimes it pays to play dum.

Reactions: Thommystud
A related question. As I understand, athletes have to report NIL money to U compliance departments. Question is whether that in any way then becomes public information, even if only by formal 'FOIA' approach. Or does it remain top secret unless athlete volunteers it? Seems like it would at least help with transparency if it was public info.

A related question. As I understand, athletes have to report NIL money to U compliance departments. Question is whether that in any way then becomes public information, even if only by formal 'FOIA' approach. Or does it remain top secret unless athlete volunteers it? Seems like it would at least help with transparency if it was public info.
I’m not sure it’s the University’s place to divulge that info. That should be between the athlete and their NIL agent? Maybe parents…

Not sure whether you were serious, but search results indicate the NCAA still bans performance-based NILs.
And if I understand, still has to be commensurate with going rate for whatever the item/activity involves.....though that is admittedly a pretty gray area. But can't offer a guy $1M if he shows his face at a 1-day kids wrestling camp in Hicksville.

I’m not sure it’s the University’s place to divulge that info. That should be between the athlete and their NIL agent? Maybe parents…
May be true, but they would not have that NIL opportunity were they not an athlete at a public University, though they could still pursue similar money in a professional/private arena. Aren't professor salaries public info?

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
May be true, but they would not have that NIL opportunity were they not an athlete at a public University, though they could still pursue similar money in a professional/private arena. Aren't professor salaries public info?
Really interesting question, imo.

Really interesting question, imo.
I don’t believe they are employed by university. There might be oversight necessary but I doubt there is required disclosure of student athletes’ monetary gains and income related to personal NIL.

If we want to do this ( once we are all done funding the new building) we can pool our resources for the Cesspool Champions Chaired Position (we can workshop the name),

But we need it performance based, so we probably need enough to pay out, say, $25 grand for champs? Or maybe something like 1 grand per point scored at the national tourney, plus a bonus for team and individual titles?

Now we just need to decide what the recipients are going to shill for us...🤔
Brilliant!

My enjoyment of college athletics was based on coaches building a program through recruiting and development of student athletes. Sure some programs had some advantages but scholarship limits and transfer rules did a lot to keep some level of competitive equality. This athlete goes to the highest bidder stuff is garbage. The unrestricted transfers allow never ending free agency. I can see letting kids transfer unrestricted if the coach leaves. But loyalty and commitment are out the window with how things are now. Loyalty is to the $$$, and instant gratification. What we have here is pro sports without the things built into pro sports that try to maintain parity. Contracts, salary caps, draft pick order, compensatory draft picks are all things that are in place for professional sports to regulate competition and none of that exists in college now. It's gone from athletics being an extracurricular activity for students to being a student now a side gig to get payoffs.
Sadly, that's my worry, too.

why do people on HR act like they own the joint?

"if you don't like it, get out"

"get off our boards"

that's not how the internet works, guys.
Uh, because in a sense, we do. The good people at rivals make the space available, but collectively, we create the vibe here, for better or for worse.

HR is a digital subculture based on identity of "loyalty to a team." Digital subcultures behave in strange ways because they consist (mostly) of anonymous posters. We try to mitigate that by a small (maybe microsopic :rolleyes:) measure of self-policing. Social pressure is powerful, and no one wants to embarrass themselves in front of their Hawkeye brothers and sisters, or at least they shouldn't. That does not stop me, or anyone else, from saying some bonehead things here sometimes. Human nature.

However, just 'cause M*, TnT, and Carl have you on speed dial doesn't mean that anyone at HR has to kiss your heinie, Willie. Like all media "stars," and I use that term very generously in your case, you're only as good as your good will and charm in the various fan bases will allow. Maybe stirring the pot in nearly every contentious discussion on HR isn't your best path. Have a nice day! :)

Uh, because in a sense, we do. The good people at rivals make the space available, but collectively, we create the vibe here, for better or for worse.

HR is a digital subculture based on identity of "loyalty to a team." Digital subcultures behave in strange ways because they consist (mostly) of anonymous posters. We try to mitigate that by a small (maybe microsopic :rolleyes:) measure of self-policing. Social pressure is powerful, and no one wants to embarrass themselves in front of their Hawkeye brothers and sisters, or at least they shouldn't. That does not stop me, or anyone else, from saying some bonehead things here sometimes. Human nature.

However, just 'cause M*, TnT, and Carl have you on speed dial doesn't mean that anyone at HR has to kiss your heinie, Willie. Like all media "stars," and I use that term very generously in your case, you're only as good as your good will and charm in the various fan bases will allow. Maybe stirring the pot in nearly every contentious discussion on HR isn't your best path. Have a nice day! :)
I don’t see smalls really stirring the pot here. He’s a fan of wrestling. It seems to me like he’s attempted to play nice for the most part.

Last edited:
I don’t see smalls really stirring the pot here. He’s a fan of wrestling. It seems to me like he’s attempted to play nice here for the most part.
Agree for the most part, but when a pundit thinks that they are better than the the fans they speak to, or even the sport they cover, things can go south.

Reactions: Gobblin
Agree for the most part, but when a pundit thinks that they are better than the the fans they speak to, or even the sport they cover, things can go south.
Oh, that part…. I see it as him just defending himself and trying to act a little tough in the ‘pool. I prefer that to boot licking to remain in good grace, I guess.

Reactions: Gobblin
Oh, that part…. I see it as him just defending himself and trying to act a little tough in the ‘pool. I prefer that to boot licking to remain in good grace, I guess.
Very good point, Dub. But you don't have to be boot licker or a jerk to be good.

Reactions: el dub
I don’t believe they are employed by university. There might be oversight necessary but I doubt there is required disclosure of student athletes’ monetary gains and income related to personal NIL.
Your statement is a major account/explanation on how/why the NCAA has arrived at Name Image Likeness interim destination. NCAA colleges and universities have long held (1964) that athletes are “student athletes’”, and not employees of the university/college. And as such college athletics are exempt from antitrust laws. In the recent (2021) Supreme Court opinion NCAA vs Alston (unanimous 9-0), the legal pendulum has begun to swing in favor of the athletes.

There are currently petitions before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) that seek to provide greater freedom for the athletes (unionization). Essentially the pleading states that athletes are skilled workers paid by scholarship. And by well-established labor law definition, the athletes are employees. We shall see.

Last edited:
Can't support con men (hornswagglers), Dub.
As for fools or nit pickers, I see one every day in the mirror, so I should learn to be a little more tolerant of them.
You smellin’ snake oil salesmen trolling for potential customers?

Most state foia laws have exceptions for confidential and proprietary commercial information. inasmuch as this is a private contract rather than a public contract with the university itself, Id thin that the invocation of an exception would be honored.

oh come on. i post here everyday. you're a big boy. you can take a joke. the mantra on here is that PSU wins b/c of money and recruiting. so i made a joke about it. don't get your panties in a bunch.

as far as not answering the questions - what exactly are you questions? i'm not shy.

oh come on. i post here everyday. you're a big boy. you can take a joke. the mantra on here is that PSU wins b/c of money and recruiting. so i made a joke about it. don't get your panties in a bunch.

as far as not answering the questions - what exactly are you questions? i'm not shy.
Okay big guyI will give you another shot.
How many #1 recruits have PSU had the last 10 years compared to the rest of the top 5 teams?
How are they able to maintain all of these guys on 9.9 while having others riding pine without transferring?
How does psu use their 7.3mil slush fund and have they used it to buy in recruits?
since you cannot honestly answer the second part of that question I will ask you one more,
In your opinion has PSU maybe used funds outside of standard scholly funds to get and keep athletes?

Reactions: Mendoza77
"How many #1 recruits have PSU had the last 10 years compared to the rest of the top 5 teams?"

Idk. i haven't looked that one up. it's easily ascertainable. perhaps i will do so just for you. #1 at what? their weight or Big Board?

"How are they able to maintain all of these guys on 9.9 while having others riding pine without transferring? How does psu use their 7.3mil slush fund and have they used it to buy in recruits"

how the hell am i supposed to know that?

"In your opinion has PSU maybe used funds outside of standard scholly funds to get and keep athletes?"

No. And outside of RBY they haven't done anything with NIL, which is now legal. They will though, shortly. And i'd imagine they'll be even more loaded. IMO.

"How many #1 recruits have PSU had the last 10 years compared to the rest of the top 5 teams?"

Idk. i haven't looked that one up. it's easily ascertainable. perhaps i will do so just for you. #1 at what? their weight or Big Board?

"How are they able to maintain all of these guys on 9.9 while having others riding pine without transferring? How does psu use their 7.3mil slush fund and have they used it to buy in recruits"

how the hell am i supposed to know that?

"In your opinion has PSU maybe used funds outside of standard scholly funds to get and keep athletes?"

No. And outside of RBY they haven't done anything with NIL, which is now legal. They will though, shortly. And i'd imagine they'll be even more loaded. IMO.
At their weight.
thought you were an insider like that Nemo guy.
your answer to the third question contradicts the answer to the second!
Anyway I give you credit for at least the attempt to answer, I still like you much better than Nemo.

Grip- I don't understand the victim mentality you have of "we lost, so the other guys must have cheated". I guarantee TnT have the mentality of "we lost, so we need to get better".

I'm not even saying that you're wrong, I'm just saying that its time to move on.

At their weight.
thought you were an insider like that Nemo guy.
your answer to the third question contradicts the answer to the second!
Anyway I give you credit for at least the attempt to answer, I still like you much better than Nemo.
C’mon Grip, I know you can be better than this. Don’t be the “I don’t know/I’m too lazy to do my own research, so I’ll just conclude they must be cheating” guy.

A bunch here have been doing that for so many years, now, and the evidence is still nil.

Look, NLWC got funded in a big way, incrementally accumulated top-end talent, now has a major presence for Team USA, and is therefore going to continue to be a major attraction for top-end recruits not only looking at a college team but also what kind of RTC is associated with it. Until HWC can compete at that level, expect more of the same (and hope Michigan and Ohio St don’t pass you by in the meantime).

There will always be a faction of wrestlers wanting to be the best more than anything else and, therefore, willing to sacrifice scholarship $$ they could otherwise command if that’s what it takes to join what is clearly the best program with the best prospects. The train left the station years ago and is still picking up steam. Sure, $$ can help other programs build competitive RTCs, and that — in addition to coaching and marketing — will be what tips any scales.

The 9.9 is relevant only in the respect that demand for a program will dictate how easy it is for said program to spread that out and “underpay” a collection of elite recruits. Demand for PSU is super-high right now, and so guys should be willing to take less given the other, intangible “compensation” offered in the form of likely success on both the collegiate stage and the world stage.

There is certainly more evidence of that than there is of cheating. I equate the “financial cheating” allegations to the “PED cheating” allegations. They are based only on bitterness and jealousy, not on hard evidence. It’s garbage and weak-minded.

By this point in time, no one should be asking “How can PSU get so many top-end recruits?” The relevant question is now “Why would top-end recruits not flock to PSU?” There are lots of valid reasons for individuals to go elsewhere, but on a whole, it would be very strange for PSU not to have the pick of the litter. It would be a red flag for the program if it didn’t.

I'll save you the suspense, Penn State only wins because of money.
you are so defensive when it comes to your ps favorite. nothing was said about a specific team but seems you logically assume since you know what is happening. had to jump right in!

you are so defensive when it comes to your ps favorite. nothing was said about a specific team but seems you logically assume since you know what is happening. had to jump right in!
I’m a Hawk fan. One specific team is doing better than us currently. I can see things that they do differently than we do.

One would be the practice of continuously attempting to improve weak links in lineup. I know we like our guys, but that practice alone could be a big enough difference to swing a tight team race in March.

Last edited:

i'm not being defensive. i'm joking. i said the same exact thing in the recruiting thread.

the point being, the same two topics come up in droves on here every year in late march. you and getaGRIP are too simple to understand.

i'm not being defensive. i'm joking. i said the same exact thing in the recruiting thread.

the point being, the same two topics come up in droves on here every year in late march. you and getaGRIP are too simple to understand.
I responded to YOUR post which DIRECTLY MENTIONED ps. Not ONCE did I talk about what ps does or does not do. SOMEONE IS “SIMPLE” here bit that appears to be you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT