ADVERTISEMENT

Question for atheists

Hock-I

HR MVP
Oct 2, 2016
What do you believe happens to your spirit when you die? Do you just cease to exist? Do you reincarnate? My faith believes in life after death. That life will either be spent in heaven or hell. There will be a judgment upon the end of your life. I see this as justice for people who have wronged many people – Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, etc. If you just cease to exist, it seems there is no justice. Just curious as I really know nothing about atheism. Thanks in advance.

atheist here, i think its just done. u went to sleep and didnt wake up and obviously never realize this fact. dont believe in a spirit in that sense. grew up catholic/spent couple years in protestant church in my 20's/so im somewhat familiar with others beliefs but i have come to my own. i get why the afterlife is comforting to people but that's why i think it exists, to bring comfort. part of me wishes I believe in that but i dont.

Justice is a human concept, like rights. Creation or nature has no justice allegiance. There is also no such thing as a spirit in my view. Only the material world exists. When your material body and brain breaks down, you are just gone.

Christianity believes that man was created with both
a body and a soul. A Christian is someone who believes
that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, died for their sins on
the cross. Through faith in Christ they will receive the
free gift of eternal life in heaven.

When a Christian dies their soul goes to heaven and their
body is placed in the ground. On Judgment Day, their
body and soul will be reunited in heaven. Sadly, when the
non-Christian dies their soul goes to hell and their body is
placed in the ground. On Judgment Day, their body and soul
will be reunited in hell.

Justice is a human concept, like rights. Creation or nature has no justice allegiance. There is also no such thing as a spirit in my view. Only the material world exists. When your material body and brain breaks down, you are just gone.

The whole concept of an afterlife is quite silly, but people don't want to even think about it. You see with your eyes, processing light waves and passing them to your brain to create images. So when your eyes disintigrate any spirit you might have would be blind.

In fact, everybody understands that as your body wears out over the years you seeing gets worse, hearing gets worse, even your brain's ability to process information can decline significantly. But when the body finally gives in completely and is 100% gone, suddenly you have a spirit that has all of these senses function properly again? Why the hell did it need a body up until then? Why did it need a brain, eyes, etc?

Justice is a human concept, like rights. Creation or nature has no justice allegiance.
This I agree with.

There is also no such thing as a spirit in my view. Only the material world exists. When your material body and brain breaks down, you are just gone.
This, I know to be different. "Spirit" is still sort of clinging to the religious understanding. Now, I will concede that the shell we occupy will expire, or "give out", eventually. But, I know there's more than this physical existence.

Heaven is a free gift to the Christian who has faith
in Jesus Christ as his or her Lord and Savior.

Heaven is a free gift, because you cannot buy your
way in heaven. It is a free gift because you cannot
earn it by your good behavior.

Heaven is a free gift to the Christian who has faith
in Jesus Christ as his or her Lord and Savior.

Heaven is a free gift, because you cannot buy your
way in heaven. It is a free gift because you cannot
earn it by your good behavior.
That doesn't sound "free." That sounds conditional.

Catholics do believe that you can buy your way out of Purgatory. Then again, that sounds like another imaginary place. But, maybe they go there, and that's cool.

The whole concept of an afterlife is quite silly, but people don't want to even think about it. You see with your eyes, processing light waves and passing them to your brain to create images. So when your eyes disintigrate any spirit you might have would be blind.

In fact, everybody understands that as your body wears out over the years you seeing gets worse, hearing gets worse, even your brain's ability to process information can decline significantly. But when the body finally gives in completely and is 100% gone, suddenly you have a spirit that has all of these senses function properly again? Why the hell did it need a body up until then? Why did it need a brain, eyes, etc?
I completely agree. Another problem with the heaven concept is you are supposed to be blissfully united with God. Think about what that would require. No free will. No individual desires. Just a mindless God drone who can't see or feel or think. Some fun!

Reactions: artradley
Think about it in terms of Star Trek DS9, the shape shifters going back to the great link for awhile, then venturing back out into the material world. I guess that's a vote for reincarnation.

This I agree with.

This, I know to be different. "Spirit" is still sort of clinging to the religious understanding. Now, I will concede that the shell we occupy will expire, or "give out", eventually. But, I know there's more than this physical existence.
I disagree that you know this. But one of the aspects of your theology that I like is how you describe it as a natural or inevitable progression.

Nothing in nature depends upon a person's faith or belief devotion to be real. But most religions think you must have a certain frame of mind to experience the afterlife, at least the good part. You don't insist on that. Your version of an afterlife is more free. More like how everything else in the universe functions.

Reactions: strummingram

The whole concept of an afterlife isn't silly if you consider the evidence of it from near death experiences that are in peer reviewed scientific journals. I've linked you them before.

Evidence like people born blind that can suddenly see, people that can describe exactly what was going on in the operating room while they were clinically dead, etc.

I believe the evidence for the immortal human soul is quite convincing.

Last edited:
I disagree that you know this. But one of the aspects of your theology that I like is how you describe it as a natural or inevitable progression.

Nothing in nature depends upon a person's faith or belief devotion to be real. But most religions think you must have a certain frame of mind to experience the afterlife, at least the good part. You don't insist on that. Your version of an afterlife is more free. More like how everything else in the universe functions.
Everyone gets in.

The whole concept of an afterlife isn't silly if you consider the evidence of it from near death experiences that are in peer reviewed scientific journals. I've linked you them before.

Evidence like people born blind that can suddenly see, people that can describe exactly what was going on in the operating room while they were clinically dead, etc.

I believe the evidence for the immoral human soul is quite convincing.
You have an OOPS in there, bro-cephus! Proofread!

I believe the evidence for the immoral human soul is quite convincing.

I know you believe the evidence is convincing, because you are the most credulous person I've ever conversed with.

I know you believe the evidence is convincing, because you are the most credulous person I've ever conversed with.

I was an atheist nihilist for a decade. Hardly credulous.

Anyways, do the research yourself. You're so convinced that materialism is true that you won't study anything to the contrary, it seems.

I was an atheist nihilist for a decade. Hardly credulous.

Anyways, do the research yourself. You're so convinced that materialism is true that you won't study anything to the contrary, it seems.

Reading anecdotes is not research. Read a Scientific American article on the subject.

And you are credulous; you believe in pretty much everything that ever comes up.

Last edited:
Reactions: naturalmwa
Reading anecdotes is not research. Read a Scientific American article on the subject.

And you are credulous; you believe in pretty much everything that ever comes up.
Now, to be fair, he only believes whatever the RCC has given its stamp of approval... not everything that ever comes up.

No, that's like offering breitbart. You went total fake news on us and now want to hide behind taunts.

Nope.

I offered scientific peer reviewed studies all in one place compiled by a man smarter and better educated than you...and Art :)

Atheism is a belief centered in human reason and
man becomes the focus in life. Atheism appeals
to people who pride themselves on their intellect.

Christianity is a belief centered in human faith and
God becomes our focus in life. Christianity reaches
out to people who humbly put their faith in God.

Nope.

I offered scientific peer reviewed studies all in one place compiled by a man smarter and better educated than you...and Art :)
C'mon, man. Magis Center is hardly an objective/unbiased source. It's not as though a Catholic website is going to ever come out and say "Hey! Turns out there is no afterlife! Oh well!"

Atheism is a belief centered in human reason and
man becomes the focus in life. Atheism appeals
to people who pride themselves on their intellect.

Christianity is a belief centered in human faith and
God becomes our focus in life. Christianity reaches
out to people who humbly put their faith in God.
Water is wet.
Water is essential for life as we know it.
A world without water would affect life as we know it, substantially.
All life forms need water to flourish.

God created the oceans, the lakes, the rivers, on our
earth. God sends the rain from the sky to help our
crops grow. God created the human body which needs
to drink water to survive. Thank God for the water..

A man who admits he is out with an agenda to present proof of magic. Peer reviewed by other spook believers. Fake news. He has no credibility.

Peer reviewed by other believers?

You and Art aren't scientifically literate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT