ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Blair Sanderson - Tyler Goodson

WinOneThisCentury II

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2021
Blair,

There was a debate yesterday among fellow posters about how the team (coaches and players) feels about Tyler Goodson opting out of the bowl game. I felt the team likely supported his decision and that most players felt Tyler was a good teammate...based on the interactions on the field, his work ethic, and the way KF and others talk about Tyler.

Several posters felt Tyler quit on the team and that he wasn't a good teammate or respected within the building for that reason.

Since you are closer to the situation and team...just curious if you have a feel for the mood in the building regarding his decision, as we are obviously not as close to the situation.

Just curious if you have a take.

Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
Not Blair but I have not heard or read anything negative about his decision. Kirk and coaches truly appreciate his contributions and tireless work ethic. I doubt you will hear any player question his decision because the NFL is their dream.

Good Luck to Tyler and his family. He has been a great Hawk and his family have been strong supporters of Kirk and the program. It is a long way from Suwanee, GA to Iowa City.

Barring a playoff game or maybe a new years six, I can't fault anyone for sitting out a bowl game. I'd treat it like a senior sendoff/open tryout for playing time anyway. Final rankings may be affected but that's not a deal breaker in my mind.

If it's the latter do you really think Blair is going to come on here and blast TG? He would lose all credibility with the team.
That's ridiculous...he doesn't have to call anyone out. He can come on and say, it's kind of mixed bag or he's heard different opinions. That says it all. I'm just asking for a general consensus of the mood.

• Haha
Breese Hall also opted out of the Clone bowl game. I'm not seeing any negativity over there...and I'd expect it from them.

It doesn't matter how you frame it, it's quitting on your team. And Iowa is a team built on a culture that is going to frown on that sort of behavior more than maybe some other cultures out there in college football. For what it's worth. Olave and WIlson of OSU are sitting out of the Rose Bowl now too. I wouldn't draft a player who sits out. That's just me.

That's ridiculous...he doesn't have to call anyone out. He can come on and say, it's kind of mixed bag or he's heard different opinions. That says it all. I'm just asking for a general consensus of the mood.
What's ridiculous is that you really think that Blair would share anything that remotely paints TG as a bad teammate or anything to that effect with the likes of us. This type of info can really do damage to his potential draft stock. NFL teams have a good way of finding info but leave that to them. Expect Blair to say nothing other than he's the consumate pro and teammate.

It doesn't matter how you frame it, it's quitting on your team. And Iowa is a team built on a culture that is going to frown on that sort of behavior more than maybe some other cultures out there in college football. For what it's worth. Olave and WIlson of OSU are sitting out of the Rose Bowl now too. I wouldn't draft a player who sits out. That's just me.
If you owned or coached an NFL team that needed receivers like these guys, yes you would.

If you owned or coached an NFL team that needed receivers like these guys, yes you would.
No I wouldn't. If it were a proven player in free agency who sat out a bowl game in their college career then I would still consider signing them because they would have proven themselves. Too much of a red flag for me at the draft stage though for someone who quits on their team and they're still unproven at the NFL level.

Breese Hall also opted out of the Clone bowl game. I'm not seeing any negativity over there...and I'd expect it from them.
Hall is likely an early draft pick (most projections have him in the second round) so I think it was expected.
Goodson was a bit more of a surprise. TG has been nothing but a great Hawkeye on and off the field. I'm sure the team is disappointed not to have him in the bowl game but supportive of his decision.

Ok...NFL Personnel People - Do not draft because they are all quitters:

Kenneth Walker
Breece Hall
Tyler Goodson
Chris Olave
Garrett Wilson
Kayvon Thibodeaux
David Bell
George Karlaftis
Kenny Pickett
Raheem Blackshear,
Tre Turner
Amare Barno
Lecitus Smith
Jordan Williams
Reggie Roberson
Danny Gray
DJ James
Devon Williams
Kyren Williams
Kyle Hamilton
Neil Farrell
Damone Clark
None
Max Borghi
Alontae Taylor
Isaiah Thomas (NFL Draft),
Brian Asamoah (NFL Draft),
Nik Bonitto (NFL Draft),
Perrion Winfrey (NFL Draft)
Charles Cross
Marcus Jones

No I wouldn't.
bs-meter.gif

No I wouldn't. If it were a proven player in free agency who sat out a bowl game in their college career then I would still consider signing them because they would have proven themselves. Too much of a red flag for me at the draft stage though for someone who quits on their team and they're still unproven at the NFL level.

your tenure as a nfl general manager would be short

You might consider jumping down from that high horse. There are posters on this board who routinely trash players. And posters on this board HAVE knocked Iowa players in the past for opting out of bowl games.

Hall has a legit shot to GET drafted fairly early. TGood, ah NO. And frankly I don't give a flying F--- what some clone does. The bigger question is, why in the hell did you start a whole new thread about this. Its done. You had your say, and so did I, and lots of folks chimed in. Done deal. You really don't think there's nobody in the complex thats not to happy he bailed, or if they were there going to come out and say that. Your being naive.....

Hall has a legit shot to GET drafted fairly early. TGood, ah NO. And frankly I don't give a flying F--- what some clone does. The bigger question is, why in the hell did you start a whole new thread about this. Its done. You had your say, and so did I, and lots of folks chimed in. Done deal. You really don't think there's nobody in the complex thats not to happy he bailed, or if they were there going to come out and say that. Your being naive.....
You told me I was full of sh$t yesterday that I felt the team supported him and this has become commonplace in today's college football landscape. I said I thought, based on the public statements, that Tyler was respected in the building. You disagreed...and the team likely thinks he's a quitter...and disloyal. You claimed there was no way to find out. People know. Maybe Blair can't say anything negative, let's see if he responds.

I

Kenneth Walker
Breece Hall
Tyler Goodson
Chris Olave
Garrett Wilson
Kayvon Thibodeaux
David Bell
George Karlaftis
Kenny Pickett
Raheem Blackshear,
Tre Turner
Amare Barno
Lecitus Smith
Jordan Williams
Reggie Roberson
Danny Gray
DJ James
Devon Williams
Kyren Williams
Kyle Hamilton
Neil Farrell
Damone Clark
None
Max Borghi
Alontae Taylor
Nik Bonitto (NFL Draft),
Charles Cross
Marcus Jones
Looks like the first round.

You would be looking for a new gig sooner rather than later but I’m sure you will sleep soundly next to your morals tonight bud.
3prvdbcgsf90k.gif

So much anger in this topic. The only good thing about this thread is that it wasn't posted in the basketball forum.

So you think he'd go out say " well the team is divided. Some really don't like their teammates quitting on the team"???

Get a clue man!

And why are you asking this....you repeatedly said you know for a fact that the 100plus players and coaches all support him.

You told me I was full of sh$t yesterday that I felt the team supported him and this has become commonplace in today's college football landscape. I said I thought, based on the public statements, that Tyler was respected in the building. You disagreed...and the team likely thinks he's a quitter...and disloyal. You claimed there was no way to find out. People know. Maybe Blair can't say anything negative, let's see if he responds.

I
Jees, I'm saying publicly their going to be supportive, but that doesn't mean that everyone is down with guys moving on BEFORE the season is over. I'm pretty sure that includes Kirk and Ladell. That doesn't mean their going to come out and say that, not to Blair or anyone else. Its like KF is supportive of guys that finish high school and enroll in January, because thats just the way it is, but he damn sure doesn't like them doing it either.

I am guessing most players support his decision to give pros a shot. The only people raising a fuss are middle aged , out of touch posters on here
A couple players criticized fant indirectly( it was obvious enough though).

You think none of these players care?? Lmfao. Most fans don't care that a mediocre b1g back is sitting out the game.

Kenneth Walker
Breece Hall
Tyler Goodson
Chris Olave
Garrett Wilson
Kayvon Thibodeaux
David Bell
George Karlaftis
Kenny Pickett
Raheem Blackshear,
Tre Turner
Amare Barno
Lecitus Smith
Jordan Williams
Reggie Roberson
Danny Gray
DJ James
Devon Williams
Kyren Williams
Kyle Hamilton
Neil Farrell
Damone Clark
None
Max Borghi
Alontae Taylor
Nik Bonitto (NFL Draft),
Charles Cross
Marcus Jones
Maybe not quitters, but certainly selfish.

Not that my opinion matters in the least, but I have no problem whatsoever with a player skipping a bowl game. Tyler wants to do what's best for himself in avoiding injury and prepping for the draft that's his call.
Right.

He tackled himself all season long to avoid getting hurt - this extra precaution of sitting out is no surprise.

He’ll get broken in half in the NFL.

Fair enough.

But, on the other hand (there is always another side to these things), maybe it tells a GM that he is dead serious about his NFL opportunity and willing to forgo a nice vacation to focus on getting ready for the draft.

Just a thought ....

Fair enough.

But, on the other hand (there is always another side to these things), maybe it tells a GM that he is dead serious about his NFL opportunity and willing to forgo a nice vacation to focus on getting ready for the draft.

Just a thought ....
I think if you’re borderline-draftable (TG), you need to play in this bowl game and attempt to do something special.

I'd draft guys who sit out. I ALSO would have no issues with their former teammates bitch slapping them :).

You can't really blame the QB at Pitt for not playing, but if any senior OL WE ETC tells him to get foked...I wouldn't blame them either lol

ADVERTISEMENT