Max Borghi
Alontae Taylor
Isaiah Thomas (NFL Draft),
Brian Asamoah (NFL Draft),
Nik Bonitto (NFL Draft),
Perrion Winfrey (NFL Draft)
Charles Cross
Marcus Jones
You're comparing a likely udfa with more eligibility to 1st rounders?

Apples and fillet mignons

Reactions: Firekirknow
StanziTheManzi's first draft class:

Round 1 - Rudy Ruettiger - DL - Notre Dame
Round 4 - Bobby Boucher - LB - Mud Dogs
Round 5 - Brian Piccolo - RB - Wake Forest
I guess you'd take Rudy over a guy like hockenson or lbaum?

To each their own I guess....

You told me I was full of sh$t yesterday that I felt the team supported him and this has become commonplace in today's college football landscape. I said I thought, based on the public statements, that Tyler was respected in the building. You disagreed...and the team likely thinks he's a quitter...and disloyal. You claimed there was no way to find out. People know. Maybe Blair can't say anything negative, let's see if he responds.

I
Feeling and knowing aren't the same

Hall has a legit shot to GET drafted fairly early. TGood, ah NO. And frankly I don't give a flying F--- what some clone does. The bigger question is, why in the hell did you start a whole new thread about this. Its done. You had your say, and so did I, and lots of folks chimed in. Done deal. You really don't think there's nobody in the complex thats not to happy he bailed, or if they were there going to come out and say that. Your being naive.....
Can we just get to Murray's ankle now!?!?;

:D

It doesn't matter how you frame it, it's quitting on your team. And Iowa is a team built on a culture that is going to frown on that sort of behavior more than maybe some other cultures out there in college football. For what it's worth. Olave and WIlson of OSU are sitting out of the Rose Bowl now too. I wouldn't draft a player who sits out. That's just me.
Would you draft a player who still has eligibility left? That's quitting on the team as well

Blair,

There was a debate yesterday among fellow posters about how the team (coaches and players) feels about Tyler Goodson opting out of the bowl game. I felt the team likely supported his decision and that most players felt Tyler was a good teammate...based on the interactions on the field, his work ethic, and the way KF and others talk about Tyler.

Several posters felt Tyler quit on the team and that he wasn't a good teammate or respected within the building for that reason.

Since you are closer to the situation and team...just curious if you have a feel for the mood in the building regarding his decision, as we are obviously not as close to the situation.

Just curious if you have a take.

Thanks.
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I thought, in general, guys seemed pretty supportive of his decision. More common now than when Fant did it. That's not to say all 125 players feel the same about it of course.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I thought, in general, guys seemed pretty supportive of his decision. More common now than when Fant did it. That's not to say all 125 players feel the same about it of course.
That's pretty much what I figured. Several on here want to bash him as disloyal and he's quitting on his team...and also say he wasn't any good in the first place. Serious stupidity. Those same people are going to say you aren't being truthful as you are concerned about how that would look with your interactions with the team, if you told the truth. I'll go with your general interpretation of how the team has reacted...as it's fair and doesn't put anyone on the spot.

Thanks much.

Happy Holidays.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
That's pretty much what I figured. Several on here want to bash him as disloyal and he's quitting on his team...and also say he wasn't any good in the first place. Serious stupidity. Those same people are going to say you aren't being truthful as you are concerned about how that would look with your interactions with the team, if you told the truth. I'll go with your general interpretation of how the team has reacted...as it's fair and doesn't put anyone on the spot.

Thanks much.

Happy Holidays.
Great job dude. You got the totally generic answer everyone here knew you would, and now you can pat yourself on the back like you actually got the answer you were expecting, (like there could be any other). For the record, NO ONE said he wasn't good. Just your spin on the actual comments. What was said was he doesn't appear to be an NFL ready back, certainly NOT a high draft pick, so his bolting seems silly. If you can HONESTLY say that he didn't appear to play most of the season like he was trying to avoid being injured, then you watched a different guy then most of us did.....

Can't forget about The Billdozer.

images

But do you have to take his fullback, Hank, in order to have success? I know you can find a job for the towel boy, Dale.

Thanks much.

Happy Holidays.
He seemed to make it pretty clear you were wrong.....

Lol

He seemed to make it pretty clear you were wrong.....

Lol
Yes...and you keep believing there was widespread voter fraud and that JFK Jr. is going to be having a barbeque in Dallas,Tx next week.

What's wrong with you people. Blair says the consensus was that it was generally supportive of his decision. That's what you would expect...and it means the majority of the team understands. It's clear with all the guys across the country doing it...that it's the new normal with our current bowl structure...so why would they get down on a guy for doing what's right for him and his family.

I think you guys underestimate his value to the team. He made big plays because of his speed and ability to catch the ball that were huge throughout the season. We couldn't run the ball at all this year...I can't remember a year where Iowa had OL just completely whiff on blocks...and at times it was more than one. I've not seen, since maybe 2012, an Iowa offensive line get completely overwhelmed, Wisconsin, and maybe Purdue.

Did he look for a place to go down at times...did he give up on runs when he saw he was outnumbered? Yes...absolutely. A different type of back may have pounded every single time and maybe got a yard or two more...or lost more yardage because there were 2-3 guys completely unblocked. You have to live with the shortcomings of every player. But I'll say this, Goodson was the only player who could have made several huge plays for us this year...for example, the 55 yard run against Nebraska to set up the winning score...etc. Well blocked play, but his speed turned it into a big play.

Go back an read the thread in the basketball forum...people were pretty damn critical of him.

• Haha
Yes...and you keep believing there was widespread voter fraud and that JFK Jr. is going to be having a barbeque in Dallas,Tx next week.

What's wrong with you people. Blair says the consensus was that it was generally supportive of his decision. That's what you would expect...and it means the majority of the team understands. It's clear with all the guys across the country doing it...that it's the new normal with our current bowl structure...so why would they get down on a guy for doing what's right for him and his family.

I think you guys underestimate his value to the team. He made big plays because of his speed and ability to catch the ball that were huge throughout the season. We couldn't run the ball at all this year...I can't remember a year where Iowa had OL just completely whiff on blocks...and at times it was more than one. I've not seen, since maybe 2012, an Iowa offensive line get completely overwhelmed, Wisconsin, and maybe Purdue.

Did he look for a place to go down at times...did he give up on runs when he saw he was outnumbered? Yes...absolutely. A different type of back may have pounded every single time and maybe got a yard or two more...or lost more yardage because there were 2-3 guys completely unblocked. You have to live with the shortcomings of every player. But I'll say this, Goodson was the only player who could have made several huge plays for us this year...for example, the 55 yard run against Nebraska to set up the winning score...etc. Well blocked play, but his speed turned it into a big play.

Go back an read the thread in the basketball forum...people were pretty damn critical of him.
He performed likely a slightly above average RB this year.

And like I told you in the other thread...some of the players don't like him quitting on the team and I bet some coaches don't either.

What any of that has to do with voter fraud or jfk??? Only you know that I guess.

I couldn't possibly disagree more with this. As discussed earlier MOST all of his big runs were on plays where he ran through a big hole, OR misdirection plays where he came out the back door with no one on that side of the field. ANY good back with good speed could have made those plays, and I don't believe that Tyler is as fast as you think he is. He's got good short burst quickness, but he doesn't have elite top end speed. I remember a guy named Leshaun Daniels not to long ago, who had 3 or 4 TD runs his senior year of over 55 yards, one being over 70, and NO ONE would consider him having great speed. If you get a 5 yard lead on someone its damn near impossible for them to catch you in 50 yards if you have even decent speed. Even so, I'll take a guy who doesn't go down when somebody just looks at him, even if he only gets 40 yard on that 50 yard run. Somebody who gets 2 or 3 positive yards on a busted play, and still bust some good gains. I think we'll be happy with the William's and the two freshman coming in next year, as all look like more physical runners, which suits our style better...

Fair enough.

But, on the other hand (there is always another side to these things), maybe it tells a GM that he is dead serious about his NFL opportunity and willing to forgo a nice vacation to focus on getting ready for the draft.

Just a thought ....
It tells a GM that he is soft, which is how he runs the football too often. Soft.

He was a great playmaker, and he certainly made a lot of big-time plays for us. But he also ran soft a lot which cost us a yard or two every time he ran soft.

Reactions: Firekirknow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT