ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Hawkeyes

There’s a bit of controversy over on Warchant. **surprise**
With all the conference consolidation talk some of our fans were doubtful that B1G fans would travel if FSU were to end up in that conference. Or if we would travel to Iowa/Minnesota/Illinois in November.
So I’ll come right to the source:
Would y’all come down (or drive in since lots of Iowa grads already live in Florida) to Tally for a game?

What are the thoughts about Noles heading to the Upper Midewest late season?

I have a couple of friends near Jax, they've been here between Thanksgiving and Christmas, when it really wasn't all that cold...they thought the weather was, and I quote, "f-ing stupid". I was asked more than once how I lived here. I just mentioned that they should come back when it gets cold, like in Jan/Feb.

BTW, I think I wore shorts and a hoody when we went out to eat, it was mid-upper 30s...ish. Of course I went out with them down there in winter, it was in the 60s, wearing shorts and a tshirt, they thought I was nuts then too.

Reactions: billanole
That was 41 years ago. Let's pull @jamesvanderwulf into the conversation so he can tell us about Cardinals teams from the 1950s while we are at it.
Glad to help, however '63 was my first full season as a die hard. Got that 16 transistor Admiral radio and KMOX was on every night after that. Jack Buck and Harry Carey and no two announcers ever held a candle to them...

...back to 1981 and football, yes. I was between construction jobs as Jimmy Carter had bankrupt company # 1 and I had taken a job with Burger Construction rebuilding the south endzone at Kinnick. Mid evil construction at best on the 45 degree slope, building walls and 10 foot wide steps against the original 1928 structure. We had packed sand as deep as 18 feet to get ready to pour those new steps when we got 10 inches of rain on a Friday/Saturday. When we showed up on Monday, the artificial turf of Kinnick looked like the delta of the Nile. Sand flowed out to the 20 yard line from the endzone. Originally we were told under no circumstances were we to get mechanized equipment on the astro turf, so big bossman had us filling 5 gallon buckets of wet sand, carry 2 at a time up the steps and out the R and S tunnels. Eventually the situation got back to Burger and permission was granted to get small dump trucks and a tractor on the field. We took 25 truck loads of sand out of there.
Reggie Roby would bring a sack of balls around 11 every day and punt them from one end to the other. We'd shag em back to him when he hit an 80 yarder into the work area. All but one that is. Still in my man cave...
Iowa won 7 games in my college years, '70 - '74. 7 - 36 - 1. Iowa cheered first downs like TDs back then...

What are the thoughts about Noles heading to the Upper Midewest late season?

I have a couple of friends near Jax, they've been here between Thanksgiving and Christmas, when it really wasn't all that cold...they thought the weather was, and I quote, "f-ing stupid". I was asked more than once how I lived here. I just mentioned that they should come back when it gets cold, like in Jan/Feb.

BTW, I think I wore shorts and a hoody when we went out to eat, it was mid-upper 30s...ish. Of course I went out with them down there in winter, it was in the 60s, wearing shorts and a tshirt, they thought I was nuts then too.
I did ND a few years ago. Froze my ass off. Fun trip with good friends though.

Meh, 6 of those wins are probably against Nebraska in bowl games.
Honestly, I am a little surprised FSU has played that many B10 teams. It really isn't a natural non-conference tie in. So, lots of bowl games have to factor into that total, right?
Exactly 6 against the Once Mighties and 21 against Maryland. Those are not real B1G teams IMO. They are 3-0 against the Death-star so credit to them for that.

The conference ticket allotment would be about 4k. Iowa would bring that,plus those who purchased on the secondary market.

I think there's a 0% chance of this being a reality. Maybe less than 0.

Issa all good.
When Iowa travels into 95+degree plus95% humidity, it
will equal out.
Football should be played without regard to weather.
Line up and hike.

That's what happens to all of our Big Ten teams every bowl game. I am not complaining to go to warmer temps but nothing in bowl season ever favors our squads. We are usually at least 10-15+ hours further away than our opponents and we are coming from practcing in an indoor complex so we can actually practice instead of the heat.

I have always been pretty happy to see what Iowa has done in bowl games that are always on the road.

Only two that come to my mind are the 02-03 Orange Bowl vs USC
10? Insight Bowl vs Missouri was a wash.

Glad to help, however '63 was my first full season as a die hard. Got that 16 transistor Admiral radio and KMOX was on every night after that. Jack Buck and Harry Carey and no two announcers ever held a candle to them...

...back to 1981 and football, yes. I was between construction jobs as Jimmy Carter had bankrupt company # 1 and I had taken a job with Burger Construction rebuilding the south endzone at Kinnick. Mid evil construction at best on the 45 degree slope, building walls and 10 foot wide steps against the original 1928 structure. We had packed sand as deep as 18 feet to get ready to pour those new steps when we got 10 inches of rain on a Friday/Saturday. When we showed up on Monday, the artificial turf of Kinnick looked like the delta of the Nile. Sand flowed out to the 20 yard line from the endzone. Originally we were told under no circumstances were we to get mechanized equipment on the astro turf, so big bossman had us filling 5 gallon buckets of wet sand, carry 2 at a time up the steps and out the R and S tunnels. Eventually the situation got back to Burger and permission was granted to get small dump trucks and a tractor on the field. We took 25 truck loads of sand out of there.
Reggie Roby would bring a sack of balls around 11 every day and punt them from one end to the other. We'd shag em back to him when he hit an 80 yarder into the work area. All but one that is. Still in my man cave...
Iowa won 7 games in my college years, '70 - '74. 7 - 36 - 1. Iowa cheered first downs like TDs back then...
You have a rich history my good man and a hard worker to boot. I tip my hat to folks like you.

We do have Bowl victories against OSU, UM, Nebraska and PSU, but not adding up to 38.
We probably played lots of B1G games way back in our independent days.
I'd porbably make the 2 1/2 hour drive. I usually spend the night when I go to a game at Doak.

FSU is 26-33 since 2017. I think the last time they were ranked at the end of the season was 2016.

I don't think any team from any conference is afraid of the Noles.

I'd porbably make the 2 1/2 hour drive. I usually spend the night when I go to a game at Doak.

FSU is 26-33 since 2017. I think the last time they were ranked at the end of the season was 2016.

I don't think any team from any conference is afraid of the Noles.

I see your point. Our last major bowl victory was against...oh damn - look - another B1G team...

Reactions: runkpanole
Sure, Kenny. I remember camping south Tally at 13 degrees in late December. The humidity and temps are crazy unpredictable.
If you think weather is gonna win the game.,. Well, whatever.
Bring it.
You forget that many FSU kids are from Northern climes, as some Iowa players are from the south.
The teams all have the gear these days.,,.
Old school deal with the weather is no longer really a thing.
Yeah but the fans...🥶🥶🥶

Which is a real shame for them as Iowa City is one of the most quintessential “college towns” of any in America. And the weather is typically superb in autumn.

Oh come on. You photoshop some picturesque little town and expect us to believe that’s Iowa? Where’s the cornfields dude?
capitol-building-iowa-city-iowa.jpg

EFMVrmdXsAE1_VW.jpg

E9HeoEJWQAkNT2v.jpg

It’s true FSU has been down for a while now, but it’s funny…even when we’re 6-4 (or heck, 4-6) teams still get pumped to play us and if they win they go absolutely nuts. Like storm the field nuts.

Beating FSU is like banging Pamela Anderson. Sure, our glory days are behind us and you definitely aren’t the first one to take us down, but at the end of the day you get to tell your buddies about the time you slept with Pamela Anderson.

I think we all are aware that Florida State used to have amazingly awesome football teams.

But Bobby Bowden ain’t walking through that door. There is no reason FSU might not sputter along for some time as Nebraska has. Neither team has the national cachet or dominance over their rivals they once had, and that matters.

Both change coaches like some people change underwear. Both fanbases continue to bring up the 90s constantly.

Remember: Minnesota has more national championships than you do. No one thinks they are destined to return to glory.

Our fans bring up 2013 also. Just saying....

That was also post Bobby Bowden.

Last edited:
Reactions: West Duval Nole
As part of my quest to attend a game in every Big Ten stadium, I'd eventually get there. But I would probably consider them the same as I do Rutgers, Maryland, and the LA schools-a pure money grab who don't really belong.

It looks as if the money grabbing is what the conferences are concerned about.

The Big 10 adding USC and UCLA is a clear as day signal that the idea of the conference as a regional entity is over.

ADVERTISEMENT