ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Noles on football

srams21

HR Legend
Gold Member
May 23, 2004
How long do you give Norvell to turn things around? And what does "turn around" mean to you?

Would something like the following be acceptable to you?

Year one - 6-5
Year two - 8-4
Year three - 10-2

Reactions: goldmom
How long do you give Norvell to turn things around? And what does "turn around" mean to you?

Year one - 6-5
Year two - 8-4
Year three - 10-2

That's what Iowa State fans more or less expected out of Matt Campbell.

6-5 would be fine for me, based on the circumstances of 2020, and what he inherited.

Year 2 there needs to be a clear improvement, with no blowout losses. Record will depend on schedule. 8-4 or 9-3

Year 3, anything from 9-3 to 11-1. It will take at least 10-2 to compete for the ACC title. Less than 9-3 there should be an evaluation using a method other than the record to determine if Norvell is still the right guy.

I'm always of the opinion that coaches should never be fired unless there's someone better available.

Taggart didn't sign a QB in 2 cycles, and no offensive skill position guys his last cycle. I was willing to give Taggart a chance, but after going to almost all the home games the last two years, it was clear he wasn't the answer. Even warmups were a free for all.

Year one - 6-5
Year two - 8-4
Year three - 10-2
That would be a Herculean effort...

We might not win 3 games this year.
.500 next year would be a stretch.
Year 3 he will be doing great to win 8.

Year one - 6-5
Year two - 8-4
Year three - 10-2

It depends on how he looks in season 2. In season 1 he has been hamstrung by four years in a row of inept recruiting especially at OL and QB and the team culture has been utterly destroyed by a distracted and feckless JimmyJamesJoeBob and grossly incompetent Willie. We are not a quick patch and we’re back situation, we are in a complete teardown and start over.

It depends on how he looks in season 2. In season 1 he has been hamstrung by four years in a row of inept recruiting especially at OL and QB and the team culture has been utterly destroyed by a distracted and feckless JimmyJamesJoeBob and grossly incompetent Willie. We are not a quick patch and we’re back situation, we are in a complete teardown and start over.
Yep and one big thing you left out was Covid-19. Spring practice cancelled, recruiting Is changed, reduced and harder schedule and now the poor bastard is missing a game. I am not even sure we can count this as his first year.

I would be ecstatic with 10-2 by year 3. This is a long term rebuild and FSU does not have the money to fire him anytime soon so he will be here for at least 4-5 years.

The current problem is that he does not have the players to win consistently but needs wins to show improvement to get the better recruits. Hopefully they can have a high hit rate on lower ranked recruits, grab a few blue chips and keep hitting the portal hard for immediate help at certain positions. The portal strategy seems to have worked well for Miami at least this year.

Yep and one big thing you left out was Covid-19. Spring practice cancelled, recruiting Is changed, reduced and harder schedule and now the poor bastard is missing a game. I am not even sure we can count this as his first year.
While Covid was tough on every program, it would be brutally tough for first year coaches. Everything was changed up and players were/are trying to learn a new system.

I'm just curious how long you give a new coach to bring FSU back. And, what do you consider back?

Reactions: noleclone2
Who knows...with COVID-19 and all the chaos, I'm barely paying attention to football. I watched the GT game and saw progress in the first half only to go, "Yup, there they are!" in the 2nd half...the only difference was I wasn't watching Willie stare up at the monitor all game looking clueless. That, in and of itself, gives me a little hope. Norvel at least appears to be competent/confident.

Reactions: goldmom
We are a basketball and softball school now. 2020 NCAA Champions!
giphy.gif

I like your timetable for improvement. Until then I'm going to be a huge basketball, softball, and soccer fan.

Reactions: Fijimn
1st game was rough, I'd expect to be under .500 looking at the schedule. In year 3, 8 or 9 wins would be a nice progression based on how bad the program is in. And if the losses are "good losses", that is another sign of progress.

Count me in as well. After that first game I would be popping bottles if we make it to 6-5 this year

I'd be happy with 6-5. Almost makes me happy uf isn't on the schedule. <facepalm>

Losses
GT, Miami, ND, Clemson, UL
Wins
Jacksonville State, Pitt, Duke, UVA
Split (at best)
UNC/NCState

Last edited:
I'll be shocked if we win 6 games this year. More likely to be 3-4 after losing GT. When we fired Willie before the end of year 2, we committed to a long-term rebuild. Norvell is going get four years at a minimum to show that he can fix it.

As others have said, this season really is Year Zero with all the chaos of COVID, etc. My main concern is that we have no stud recruiters on this staff and it appears the win and show improvement to recruit plan is not going to work. If we win 3-4 games this year, Norvell is going to need to go out and get someone on this staff he can gets some players.

Way too aggressive a timeline in my mind.

First of all, we are no longer "super talented, just poorly coached." Willie's first class was like #11, but few of those guys remain. His second class was like #19, and a lot of those guys are gone. Norvell's first class was the worst FSU signing class in modern times, and this year won't be much better, mainly because of recruiting shut down.

This team is not going to get better fast based on talent, either on the roster or in recruiting. So what you've got is very pedestrian talent overall, with bottom quarter talent at the extraordinarily important positions of OL and QB.

Yes, I know that we've sucked for years now, but this is still a years-long rebuild in front of us. The first step is to take that pedestrian talent and get it all on one page and well coached, bringing it up to that level of at least like the Pitt, Louisville, maybe current GT level. That usually takes until a coach's second season, but with so much lost this year with Covid, we might not even be there next season.

To me, next season is likely to be the "first season" for this staff, and with worse overall talent than this season.

I'm guessing we win about four games this year, and then about .500 for a year or two. Then we should be able to get to a "pretty good" level of about 8-9 wins. That's the kind of season that you can have, if you've developed your solid, hard-working, high floor 3-stars, which is what will make up the bulk of this team for the next few seasons.

There's just no way that we're going to have a roster that's a legit 10 win contender in a couple seasons, barring some freakish luck or something.

It's a long road ahead, and longer because of the virus. The biggest problem is that with recruiting shut down, we don't even know if this staff can recruit well enough. In a normal cycle, we'd have some idea if a couple of these guys need to be replaced with some real dogs on the trail, but they really can't be judged. If this staff is not up to snuff recruiting, we're not going to know it for at least another year.

It's going to be a pretty long haul. Settle in and look for and appreciate whatever small improvements we see along the way, Norvell isn't going anywhere I don't expect. Willie would still be here if the program wasn't a mess from an organizational and management standpoint that meant that people didn't have hope for the future. From all indications, this staff is executing their plans and is working together pulling in the same direction, so as long as that holds we're just going to have to wait it out for the climb back. And even if that doesn't hold, I don't see the financial resources being such that Norvell gets any less than four years.

While Covid was tough on every program, it would be brutally tough for first year coaches. Everything was changed up and players were/are trying to learn a new system.

I'm just curious how long you give a new coach to bring FSU back. And, what do you consider back?
For me he gets five years in addition to this one. So say 5-6. Though the results sucked, that was a better coached team two weeks ago. I do believe he is good and knows how to build a staff. Being back will mean being in the ACC championship game and landing back to back top 10 classes.

Is FSU the fourth best program in the state, or is Central Florida still better than FSU?

6-5 would be fine for me, based on the circumstances of 2020, and what he inherited.

Year 2 there needs to be a clear improvement, with no blowout losses. Record will depend on schedule. 8-4 or 9-3

Year 3, anything from 9-3 to 11-1. It will take at least 10-2 to compete for the ACC title. Less than 9-3 there should be an evaluation using a method other than the record to determine if Norvell is still the right guy.

I'm always of the opinion that coaches should never be fired unless there's someone better available.

Taggart didn't sign a QB in 2 cycles, and no offensive skill position guys his last cycle. I was willing to give Taggart a chance, but after going to almost all the home games the last two years, it was clear he wasn't the answer. Even warmups were a free for all.

Who the hell gets there early enough to watch warm ups? That's enough time for at least another 3 beers.

But I may tailgate too hard.

Reactions: lucas80

Year one - 6-5
Year two - 8-4
Year three - 10-2

I would give him three years and yes, what you listed would be acceptable.

Didn’t seem to hamper Mike Leach in his first game. 🙂

Didn’t seem to hamper Mike Leach in his first game. 🙂
Leach is like the Elon Musk of football.

Eccentric and seems to enjoy coaching in tough to win places. If he succeeds at MSU, he has to be considered among the best coaches ever

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Is FSU the fourth best program in the state, or is Central Florida still better than FSU?

There is no question that UCF would kill us, as would uf and as did um, so we are 4th at best. The real question is could we beat USF, Florida Atlantic, and Florida International (the other FBS teams in the state). Hell, the way we looked the first two weeks it is not certain we would beat the State’s FCs teams.

ADVERTISEMENT