ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the people who served in the military.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
How accurate was bootcamp as portrayed in Stripes? It was on one of my HBO channels this afternoon, so I watched most of it. 50 percent accurate?

How accurate was bootcamp as portrayed in Stripes? It was on one of my HBO channels this afternoon, so I watched most of it. 50 percent accurate?
I’m sure it depends on the branch and whether you are enlisted or an officer. I was an Air Force officer going through it in 1995 and while it was not easy by any stretch of the imagination, it wasn’t exactly brutal.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattymoknows
Not even close. Joined in 96 so I assume the 2021 version isn’t the same as mine either.

Great flick, I had 3 rotating drill sergeants in 1992 in Army basic training. So even though Sgt. HULKA went down, other DS would be there to cover. It wouldn't have made the hilarious graduation ceremony scene better, however.

Reactions: TheCainer
The only thing remotely difficult about army boot camp in 1984 was that you got little sleep. Physically it was easier than August practice for high school football.

Well, I assume that nobody here treated a sexy MP like a pancake, but were there similarities in how you got dumped in with a pretty diverse group of people? Diverse can mean a lot of things, by the way. Were you able to adapt to the regimented lifestyle and discipline quickly?
Kudos to Warren Oates by the way. I did look up his bio because I assumed that he must have served in the military, and he did. USMC.

Yeah, no way no how would 40 clueless newbs be allowed to complete their training unsupervised.

And while Air Force BMT isn’t as harsh as Marine boot camp, Hulka would easily be the biggest pushover of any TI. They aren’t as famous as Marine DIs, but they reeaaallly don’t tolerate any BS either. They’re in charge and won’t hesitate to let you know it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT