ADVERTISEMENT

Question for you BBQ experts (equipment)

lonestar50

HR All-American
Sep 3, 2007
So currently own a PBC and love what it produces. But am thinking of expanding my stable of smokers because why not. Anyway the Karubeque has caught my eye and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it? I don't mind the tending of the fire. From what I can tell the biggest issue is the size of the wood and how much wood it consumes.

Reactions: Nipigu
No experience with it. If I were to get a secondary device I’d like to have a personal sized Santa Maria grill. Looks like fun.

0nUkDlB.jpg

So currently own a PBC and love what it produces. But am thinking of expanding my stable of smokers because why not. Anyway the Karubeque has caught my eye and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it? I don't mind the tending of the fire. From what I can tell the biggest issue is the size of the wood and how much wood it consumes.

We have a green egg as well as a traeger, as well a gas grill. I have everything I "need" but if there was something I would add to my repertoire it would be something that gets outrageously f*cking hot to sear. I can get that with egg but you burn out the gaskets and it takes a long time build the fire that hot for a few minutes worth of work. So I would probably replace the gas grill with a newer/nicer one with an infrared searing station. I didn't answer your question but maybe gave you something else to consider.

No experience with it. If I were to get a secondary device I’d like to have a personal sized Santa Maria grill. Looks like fun.

0nUkDlB.jpg
And if real estate wasn't a consideration I would love to try something like that. Might as well throw in a Blackstone griddle for good measure. Alas, my deck is full and my wife isn't enthusiastic about crowding the decking/patio of our pool with more of my toys...

Tend it every 30 minutes? So for a brisket you have to tend your fire box 24 times? Hard pass.

Reactions: GOHOX69
And if real estate wasn't a consideration I would love to try something like that. Might as well throw in a Blackstone griddle for good measure. Alas, my deck is full and my wife isn't enthusiastic about crowding the decking/patio of our pool with more of my toys...

Sorry you have such a small deck. Not a surprise your wife isn't enthusiastic.

I have a deck and a couple patios but a santa maria would work best at the cabin.
I just added a fire table and two patio heaters. I dont like clutter so the deck is done.

yqPVDGs.jpg

We have a green egg as well as a traeger, as well a gas grill. I have everything I "need" but if there was something I would add to my repertoire it would be something that gets outrageously f*cking hot to sear. I can get that with egg but you burn out the gaskets and it takes a long time build the fire that hot for a few minutes worth of work. So I would probably replace the gas grill with a newer/nicer one with an infrared searing station. I didn't answer your question but maybe gave you something else to consider.

A plain old Weber Kettle with Grill Grates will get super hot. The original PK Grill does even better.

A plain old Weber Kettle with Grill Grates will get super hot. The original PK Grill does even better.

I have read about those but for whatever reason have not purchased them. If I can get up to another 300 degrees added to the surface temp than what shows on the hood, that would do the trick... Thanks for the reminder!

I have a cousin who swears by his PK grill. By some of the pictures he posts I have no doubt it is for real

Reactions: Nole Lou

That's the two grills I have. They both get hot as hell with lump charcoal. My guess is the Weber can probably get a little hotter based on being deeper and you can load more charcoal. However when it gets that hot, with a big load of lump, it's actually kind of scary, because the metal is so thin. You can also burn the paint off if you don't have the charcoal in a separate box with some airflow between. I have the Slow and Sear, and that's kept me from damaging the paint when its gotten away from me a few times.

The PK is a thick non-painted aluminum, with nothing that could get heat damaged. It's pretty shallow compared to most grills as far the load of charcoal, I'm not positive whether you could load enough charcoal to get it to like 1000 degrees, but maybe. I don't think you could get there with just half a grill of charcoal, if you're doing reverse sear. However, you can get it plenty hot enough, and if you load it with charcoal, the grate is basically sitting right on the coals, so it's going to be as hot as you need. It's very good for reverse sear, because even though it's small, the cool side stays pretty cool so there's a real demarcation between warm and blazing hot, so you can really manage it. I just don't use it as much as the weber because of the small surface size...I keep telling myself I will use it more when I'm just cooking for me and the wife.

I have grill grates, and I used to use the hell out of them, but I hardly use them anymore. They're a pain to keep kind of clean, and I've decided my preference is to just put the steaks on the hot side really, really hot (700+?) and get an all over sear. There's no doubt they make fantastic grill marks, but I try to char the entire side. It might be my imagination, but I feels like you lose something with the grill grates separating you from the actual flame and searing just on hot metal.

I'd highly recommend grill grates for anything that doesn't get super hot like a gas grill or a pellet smoker, but if you can really get the temperature up the results with the grill grates are prettier than they are tastier.

I have a PBC, Weber Kettle Master Touch and a Weber Spirit Gas grill. I probably use the gas grill like 2 times a year these days. With my Weber Kettle I have the PizzaQue attachment and it gets up to 900 degrees with that. So the kettle can get really hot and the pizza if fire with one of those things. Probably didn't answer any questions but love that kettle attachment.

That's the two grills I have. They both get hot as hell with lump charcoal. My guess is the Weber can probably get a little hotter based on being deeper and you can load more charcoal. However when it gets that hot, with a big load of lump, it's actually kind of scary, because the metal is so thin. You can also burn the paint off if you don't have the charcoal in a separate box with some airflow between. I have the Slow and Sear, and that's kept me from damaging the paint when its gotten away from me a few times.

The PK is a thick non-painted aluminum, with nothing that could get heat damaged. It's pretty shallow compared to most grills as far the load of charcoal, I'm not positive whether you could load enough charcoal to get it to like 1000 degrees, but maybe. I don't think you could get there with just half a grill of charcoal, if you're doing reverse sear. However, you can get it plenty hot enough, and if you load it with charcoal, the grate is basically sitting right on the coals, so it's going to be as hot as you need. It's very good for reverse sear, because even though it's small, the cool side stays pretty cool so there's a real demarcation between warm and blazing hot, so you can really manage it. I just don't use it as much as the weber because of the small surface size...I keep telling myself I will use it more when I'm just cooking for me and the wife.

I have grill grates, and I used to use the hell out of them, but I hardly use them anymore. They're a pain to keep kind of clean, and I've decided my preference is to just put the steaks on the hot side really, really hot (700+?) and get an all over sear. There's no doubt they make fantastic grill marks, but I try to char the entire side. It might be my imagination, but I feels like you lose something with the grill grates separating you from the actual flame and searing just on hot metal.

I'd highly recommend grill grates for anything that doesn't get super hot like a gas grill or a pellet smoker, but if you can really get the temperature up the results with the grill grates are prettier than they are tastier.

You can also turn the Grill Grates upside down to have a sort of "griddle" for that all over sear. And the holes allow some flame to flare up and kiss your steak, but it'll never be so much that it burns your meat.

I have a PBC, Weber Kettle Master Touch and a Weber Spirit Gas grill. I probably use the gas grill like 2 times a year these days. With my Weber Kettle I have the PizzaQue attachment and it gets up to 900 degrees with that. So the kettle can get really hot and the pizza if fire with one of those things. Probably didn't answer any questions but love that kettle attachment.
For the pizza, I have not done one from scratch but I have done some papa murphy's on the traeger. I don't think it really tastes any better than just sticking it in the oven.

For the pizza, I have not done one from scratch but I have done some papa murphy's on the traeger. I don't think it really tastes any better than just sticking it in the oven.

I do Neapolitan style with 00 flour. To get that right in an over is pretty hard to do because it doesn't get hot enough...but with this attachment on the kettle it does so you get much better pizza that way for that style.

Reactions: Tenacious E

Get a griddle. I reverse sear my steaks using my PBC (weekends) or gas grill (week nights). Then finish them on my Blackstone at about 550 degrees maybe 30 seconds per side to get a nice carmalization.

Can also do breakfast, cheese steaks, fried rice hibachi style, smash burgers, etc. it’s a great addition to the outdoor kitchen.

Last edited:
You can also turn the Grill Grates upside down to have a sort of "griddle" for that all over sear. And the holes allow some flame to flare up and kiss your steak, but it'll never be so much that it burns your meat.

Yep, the only way I've really used them in the last few years, for burgers. They work really well for searing burgers like a griddle.

Buy a Lang or pay a welder to over engineer an offset pit with firebrick lining the firebox and steel wool insulation for the cook chamber.

I do Neapolitan style with 00 flour. To get that right in an over is pretty hard to do because it doesn't get hot enough...but with this attachment on the kettle it does so you get much better pizza that way for that style.
Mmmm, need to try that with my own fresh made dough. Maybe this weekend. Sounds
tenor.gif

While we're on this topic again, seems like a lot of you have the pit barrell cooker...give me the rundown on why it's so great. I saw an Oklahoma Joe barrel version today at the store...similar?

Whats the pluses and minuses of the PBC?

Get a griddle. I reverse dear my steaks using my PBC (weekends) or gas grill (week nights). Then finish them on my Blackstone at about 550 degrees maybe 30 seconds per side to get a nice carmalization.

Can also do breakfast, cheese steaks, fried rice hibachi style, smash burgers, etc. it’s a great addition to the outdoor kitchen.
I need to stabilize the outdoor and cooking contraption situation. We just put in a pool this year and we are still reaching a point of equilibrium with the outdoor furniture and cooking stuff. The Traeger wasn't exactly cheap and I just added an air fryer indoors. So if I roll up with yet another cooking contraption my wife is going to be like
tenor.gif

I need to stabilize the outdoor and cooking contraption situation. We just put in a pool this year and we are still reaching a point of equilibrium with the outdoor furniture and cooking stuff. The Traeger wasn't exactly cheap and I just added an air fryer indoors. So if I roll up with yet another cooking contraption my wife is going to be like
tenor.gif

She will get over it. A few weeks without sex then a lifetime with the outdoor kitchen you crave.

Mmmm, need to try that with my own fresh made dough. Maybe this weekend. Sounds
tenor.gif
I've gotten lazy and started buying dough from the Nugget. I cut it in two and make really thin 12" pizzas on my pellet pooper with the pizza oven insert with it. They come out great. I tried a few different scratch recipes and they weren't any better. The Nugget dough comes out to $1.50 a pizza.

While we're on this topic again, seems like a lot of you have the pit barrell cooker...give me the rundown on why it's so great. I saw an Oklahoma Joe barrel version today at the store...similar?

Easy to use, inexpensive, and a small footprint. Those were the selling points for me.

Pros:

Set it and forget it.

Drippings from the meat onto the hot coals create a "fog" that amps up the flavor.

Small footprint on your patio or deck.

It's fun.

Cons:

If you're a "Looky-Lou" and want to open the lid all the time to check or spritz your meat, the temps WILL climb out of control. Keep the lid closed and let the PBC do its thing.

No side table, which can be awkward.

Can burn a wood deck or your lawn if you don't shield it somehow, like putting it up on brick pavers.

I don't know about the Oklahoma Joe version but I would guess it's similar. The way it's designed it will usually run 225-250 degrees. You can fiddle with it if you want to but not needed. You can get a really nice smoke flavor.

A lot of accessories available. Turkey hanger is a must for me.

For the money there is not a lot of better deals in my opinion.

Cons. I have lost some meat into the coals but that was me not hooking it right.

It doesn't do everything, but what it does do it does very, very well

Weber Kettle with a vortex gets really, really hot. Perfect for searing.

Really, I don't think there is anything a Weber Kettle can't do when you add in a few attachments like a vortex, pizza attachment, etc. It is so versatile.

Reactions: The Tradition
Pros:

Set it and forget it.

Drippings from the meat onto the hot coals create a "fog" that amps up the flavor.

Small footprint on your patio or deck.

It's fun.

Cons:

If you're a "Looky-Lou" and want to open the lid all the time to check or spritz your meat, the temps WILL climb out of control. Keep the lid closed and let the PBC do its thing.

No side table, which can be awkward.

Can burn a wood deck or your lawn if you don't shield it somehow, like putting it up on brick pavers.
Get a WSM with a rib hanger add on. You can do everything a PBC can do plus temp control.

Again, Weber. Yes, I have become a fanboy.

Get a WSM with a rib hanger add on. You can do everything a PBC can do plus temp control.

Again, Weber. Yes, I have become a fanboy.

What's nice about the PBC is even if the temps run hotter than you think you want to cook at, it always comes out amazing. I knocked out an 8 pound pork butt in about six hours a few weeks ago (no wrapping, which is even more impressive) and it was amazing. Would have taken 12 hours at 225. I did not hang it, I used the grate.

Reactions: B1GDeal
Here's my PK Grill in action tonight. Steak on the right is getting seared. Steaks on the left waiting their turn. I smoked them indirect about 40 minutes before searing.

Vegetables on an extension rack. As you can see, space is too damn limited.

I didn't measure the grill temperature, but Trad is right I think...I'd say this is hot enough.

20200925-183919.jpg

Came out freaking awesome. This really is the ultimate steak machine. That surface char is why I don't use the Grill Grates with steak.

20200925-190955.jpg

Here's my PK Grill in action tonight. Steak on the right is getting seared. Steaks on the left waiting their turn. I smoked them indirect about 40 minutes before searing.

I didn't measure the grill temperature, but Trad is right I think...I'd say this is hot enough.

20200925-183919.jpg

Came out freaking awesome. This really is the ultimate steak machine. That surface char is why I don't use the Grill Grates with steak.

20200925-190955.jpg

It's real easy for that "perfect char" to turn perfectly black with flames like that. You did a good job.

Reactions: Nole Lou

20200925-183919.jpg

20200925-190955.jpg

That is a near perfect cook!

20200925-183919.jpg

20200925-190955.jpg

Bravo!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT