ADVERTISEMENT

Question on Eligibility in the Era of the Covid-year

ghostOfHomer777

HR Heisman
May 20, 2014
I was just browsing and came across the details of Alex Palczewski's career at Illinois ...

He didn't take any redshirt year ... but that shouldn't matter ... 2020 shouldn't count against his eligibility ... but he still played more than 4 games in '17, 18, and 19 ... that should be 3 years of eligibility down.

Furthermore, he's played in BOTH '21 and '22 ... essentially full seasons. He's played the better part of 5 seasons ... and that DOESN'T include the 2020 season. How in the world is this possible?

He's not some extreme case of injuries cutting his career short or anything. Even if you ignore the covid-year of '20 ... he's then essentially taken 5 seasons to play 5. Isn't the rule to have 5 years to play 4?j

Something really stinks here!

-----------------------

2022 SENIOR​

• PFF Midseason All-American third team
  • 62 career starts are the most in Big Ten History, and second-most in FBS history
  • Enters Week 12 at Michigan having gone 613 pass-blocking snaps (99% at right tackle) without allowing a sack, according to PFF
  • No. 11 graded tackle in the nation (No. 3 in the Big Ten) according to PFF (min. 400 snaps)
  • PFF National Team of the Week following the Indiana game
  • Rotary Lombardi Award Midseason Watch List
  • Athlon Preseason All-Big Ten third team

2021 SENIOR​

• All-Big Ten honorable mention (coaches and media)
  • Started all 12 games, seven at tackle and five at guard
  • No. 35 rated tackle in the nation by PFF
  • No. 13 rated run blocking tackle in the nation by PFF

2020 SENIOR​

• Started four games at right tackle
  • Missed last four games due to injury
  • Finished the season with 40 career starts, eight away from tying the Illinois record (Nathan Scheelhaase, QB, 2010-13; Ryan McDonald, C, 2005-08; Tim Simpson, OL, 1988-91)
  • 40 career starts is tied for the most among current Illini (Vederian Lowe)
  • Phil Steele Preseason All-Big Ten third team
  • Outland Trophy watch list

2019 JUNIOR​

• Started all 13 games at right tackle
  • Ended the season with 36 straight starts
  • All-Big Ten third team (coaches)
  • All-Big Ten honorable mention (media)
  • PFF Big Ten Team of the Week after Akron game 8/31/19

2018 SOPHOMORE​

• All-Big Ten honorable mention (media)
  • Pro Football Focus All-Big Ten first team
  • Started all 12 games at right tackle
  • 23 straight starts
  • No. 30 rated tackle in the nation by PFF
  • No. 4 rated tackle in the Big Ten by PFF
  • No. 9 rated run-blocking tackle in the nation by PFF
  • Part of an OL that paved the way for the most-improved running game in the nation (+137.4 ypg from 2017 to ’18), finishing 12th in FBS and second in the Big Ten at 243.0 ypg.
  • PFF National Team of the Week 11/11/18
  • Academic All-Big Ten

2017 FRESHMAN​

• BTN.com All-Freshman Team honorable mention
  • Started the final 11 games at guard
  • Teamed with Vederian Lowe and Larry Boyd to be Illinois’ first ever true-freshmen trio to start the same game on the offensive line
  • Missed the opener with an injury
----------------------

Reactions: F5n5
2020 didn't count and they get +1. It's how JBo and CMac have been on the basketball roster for seemingly forever.

2020 didn't count and they get +1. It's how JBo and CMac have been on the basketball roster for seemingly forever.
I know that '20 didn't count ... but it seems weird that they're granted another year.

In the case of JBo and CMac ... there were some more compelling injury aspects to their petitions.

The Illinois guy had is injury during the nothing-year ... so I don't get why that should have magically granted him an extra year. The main point is to grant a little fairness and ensure that folks truly get 5 years to play 4. Just strikes me as an abuse of the spirit of the rule.

Reactions: F5n5
During the Illini/Michigan game, heard them say the 29 year old Australian punter for Illini. I was like, wtf?!!! 29? Yep, it’s true.

So you think he and Illinois cheated and/or are getting away with something and no b10 coach or any other cfb Coach, admin or rep from the NCAA is aware of his eligibility status?

Reactions: PNW_Hawk
he would have been a Senior in 2020
but that year didn't count..
so he was a Senior in 2021

so why does he get to play in 2022?

yea... so 2020 being the free year... 2021 being his 4th year...
wait.. because of 2020 you get 2 free years?
I had thought only 2020 was considered the free year

Looks to me like he got 6 full seasons without missing very many games at all. I'm not sure anyone has really answered the OP's question.

I don't recall JBo's details, but did he get 6 full seasons too?

Strange days .....

Looks to me like he got 6 full seasons without missing very many games at all. I'm not sure anyone has really answered the OP's question.

Strange days .....

This guy did the same as JBo. Played three full seasons without a redshirt before an injury shortened "senior" year where they got a medical hardship for a fifth, and then took advantage of the Covid year. His just happened that the injury took place in the same year as the Covid shortened year (2020). . Spencer Lee is basically the same thing for Iowa wrestling this year except last year was his free Covid year (fifth for him) and this year is his medical hardship year since he only wrestled a couple matches last year before surgery.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Some guy at NIU is in his 8th year. WTF. It used to be that the NCAA totally screwed people out of eligiblity. Now they hand out waivers very easily.

With an extra year due to covid, this is his 5th full year. He was injured in one of his other seasons.

Strange days .....
I found an article about the Illini O-lineman ... he got his 6th year via a petition ... so it was all supposedly on the up and up. Just chafes me a bit ... because I was always irritated about how Ott got such a raw deal (and uneven treatment) from the NCAA.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I found an article about the Illini O-lineman ... he got his 6th year via a petition ... so it was all supposedly on the up and up. Just chafes me a bit ... because I was always irritated about how Ott got such a raw deal (and uneven treatment) from the NCAA.

Here's the article that I found ... I'm sure that there are probably others out there.

Anyhow, a significant hunk of the success of the Illini was premised up a strong defense ... and an OL that could move people. Their OL was able to move people because of how experienced they are. Iowa's most experienced "veteran" regular starter is Richman ... and he's just a RS SO. Other Hawk fans have lamented ... claiming that that is long enough for the guys to be able to play a high level. Maybe ... but at least the youth should benefit from a scaffolding of wily, talented veterans ... a scaffolding that Iowa's OL currently lacks.

When Iowa touts an OL with that level of experience ... we'll see an O that moves the football too!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT