ADVERTISEMENT

Question on These Three Home Games

markfromj

HR Legend
Sep 1, 2004
I have not watched a lot of non-Iowa Big Ten Bball this year.

My sense, though, is that the Michigan game was the hardest of the 3, with Rutgers middle and then Wisky the easiest.

Does that seem right?

Lots of experienced players on this Rutgers team. Battle tested in the BI0 wars. This is the toughest game of this home stand.

I have not watched a lot of non-Iowa Big Ten Bball this year.

My sense, though, is that the Michigan game was the hardest of the 3, with Rutgers middle and then Wisky the easiest.

Does that seem right?
According to the ESPN power index predictor
65% chance of beating Wisconsin
69% chance of beating Michigan (Was)
77% chance of beating Rutgers

Last edited:
I would have put Michigan as the best match up based on the style of play. Michigan likes to go up and down the court and does not have a big post game. Iowa's open offense score in such an open game by evidence of scoring roughly 90 ppg vs. Michigan.

Rutgers and Wisky will force the slower tempo and they will both be grinders, thus I expect scores in the low 60's and they will be close. Iowa has improved a ton defensively, but these are they types of teams that really expose any defensive breakdowns that occur.

Hope for Iowa to be hitting 3's, officials that do not let it be a complete 40 minute mugging and that we have no injuries or illnesses!

Last edited:
[QUOTE="hawkisak, post: 7304837, member: 1114"
Hope for Iowa to be hitting 3's, officials that do let it be a complete 40 minute mugging and that we have not injuries or illnesses![/QUOTE]

This really the recipe for our success for the rest of the B1G schedule. We assume Luka will not get into foul trouble and will get his. The rest of the team needs to do their thing.

Reactions: hawkisak
KenPom has the Hawks beating Rutgers 73-67 (71%) and Wisky 70-64 (69%).

Also of note, they now have the Hawks favored @Indiana, which they weren't before the UM game. Have them at 21-10 (12-8). I'd have been thrilled with those if fully healthy, let alone with a bunch of guys out.

KenPom has the Hawks beating Rutgers 73-67 (71%) and Wisky 70-64 (69%).

Also of note, they now have the Hawks favored @Indiana, which they weren't before the UM game. Have them at 21-10 (12-8). I'd have been thrilled with those if fully healthy, let alone with a bunch of guys out.
Indiana 51% Iowa 49% on espn power index predictor

I would say the three games are pretty even, especially with Livers out for UM. As mentioned, Iowa plays better in the non-grinder games like UM. Hawks needs the zebras to call Rutgers for their physical crap, especially on the boards, or that is going to be a really tough game. They can't out-shoot the Hawks often, but they can really mug you. Wisky's very disciplined play has also caused Iowa trouble in the past, and the addition of the transfer center from OSU (Potter) really helps them a lot on their interior defense and rebounding.

The B1G is incredibly difficult to win on the road, and the Hawks have already played their two easiest road games. No easy games, but we need to get them all at home.

og_image.php

Iowa has 2 more days rest than Rutgers, who has to travel half-way across the country, and has 1 win away from home this year in a year in which winning on the road in the B1G has been extremely difficult. In addition, Rutgers will be playing with the pressure of a ranking for the first time in over 40 years.

I don't care what the metrics are saying, if Rutgers wins this game it would be a major upset, and a major disappointment for the Hawkeyes with the season they've been having.

I would say the three games are pretty even, especially with Livers out for UM. As mentioned, Iowa plays better in the non-grinder games like UM. Hawks needs the zebras to call Rutgers for their physical crap, especially on the boards, or that is going to be a really tough game. They can't out-shoot the Hawks often, but they can really mug you. Wisky's very disciplined play has also caused Iowa trouble in the past, and the addition of the transfer center from OSU (Potter) really helps them a lot on their interior defense and rebounding.

The B1G is incredibly difficult to win on the road, and the Hawks have already played their two easiest road games. No easy games, but we need to get them all at home.
I watched the game between them and Minny. (Rutgers). The one player that impressed me was the transfer from Texas, Jacob Young. I think of a future Joe T. the way he plays. He's fast, has a decent (not great) looking shot, and dishes well, along with playing good defense. His dad is Michael Young, a member of Guy Lewis' "Phi Slamma Jamma" team in the early eighties. You'll recognize Jacob when he scores or drops a dime by the big smile on his face lol.

I watched the game between them and Minny. (Rutgers). The one player that impressed me was the transfer from Texas, Jacob Young. I think of a future Joe T. the way he plays. He's fast, has a decent (not great) looking shot, and dishes well, along with playing good defense. His dad is Michael Young, a member of Guy Lewis' "Phi Slamma Jamma" team in the early eighties. You'll recognize Jacob when he scores or drops a dime by the big smile on his face lol.
I also watched much of the Minny game and part of a couple others. Rutgers has a really nice set of young guards with Young, Geo Baker, and the two Irish wings (McConnell and Mcahey??), who are long, physical, and know how to play. Inside, they have a couple of brawlers in Johnson and Carter, who seek rebounds and look to body out whoever gets in the way. The only player I don't care for is Ron Harper Jr, who can be great, but is inconsistent. He has a big mouth that really gets going, if he is on.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I also watched much of the Minny game and part of a couple others. Rutgers has a really nice set of young guards with Young, Geo Baker, and the two Irish wings (McConnell and Mcahey??), who are long, physical, and know how to play. Inside, they have a couple of brawlers in Johnson and Carter, who seek rebounds and look to body out whoever gets in the way. The only player I don't care for is Ron Harper Jr, who can be great, but is inconsistent. He has a big mouth that really gets going, if he is on.
Yeah, that whole thing got ugly last year. I'd like to see Joe T matched up against Young. Speed vs speed.

Last edited:
You should watch Jacob Young closer if you think Harper talks a lot of trash. He literally constantly yells in the face of whoever he is defending and whispers nasty stuff into the ears of whoever he's guarding on inbounds plays.

Rutgers is very good. Wisky is simply ... Wisky. They could roll out some guys from the dorm and they would give the Hawks fits.

I think the Hawks ca get both, but I'm not overconfident.
Both those teams should make sure they lose to Iowa, because I said so.....

ADVERTISEMENT