ADVERTISEMENT

Question on You Tube TV

Ihawkhoops

HR All-American
Dec 10, 2015
Ready to dump DirecTV and seeking some input on You Tube TV. Appears to check all the boxes for Hawkeye sports with BTN, ESPN's and FS1. For those who have this, do you recommend it?

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Ready to dump DirecTV and seeking some input on You Tube TV. Appears to check all the boxes for Hawkeye sports with BTN, ESPN's and FS1. For those who have this, do you recommend it?
I cut the Directv cord a couple of months ago for YouTube TV. I couldn't be happier. Has all the channels I want with one exception (no NFL Network).

YouTube TV was a great choice in my house. Saved a lot of money. Using Sling during the NFL season to get Red Zone. Added the PBS app to the Roku and give SCETV a $70/year donation for access to public television programming. I get what I need and pay for what I use.

Recommended. Have had it since January. I can't easily flip between two games, but that's tolerable and/or what the iPad is for. Curious how they are going to handle the Cubs' new Marquee network.

YouTube TV was a great choice in my house. Saved a lot of money. Using Sling during the NFL season to get Red Zone. Added the PBS app to the Roku and give SCETV a $70/year donation for access to public television programming. I get what I need and pay for what I use.
YouTube TV is starting to add PBS next week. I emailed Iowa PTV asking re, but have not yet received a response.
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/pbs-pbs-kids-are-coming-to-youtube-tv-next-week/

YouTube TV is starting to add PBS next week. I emailed Iowa PTV asking re, but have not yet received a response.
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/pbs-pbs-kids-are-coming-to-youtube-tv-next-week/

That is good news.

For youtube TV, do they also have the BTN spillover games for when I wanted to watch like Rutgers vs Illinois while the main BTN channel has another game going on?

Well Rutgers is not the main reason why, but just wondering lol

For youtube TV, do they also have the BTN spillover games for when I wanted to watch like Rutgers vs Illinois while the main BTN channel has another game going on?

I believe that BTN dropped using those extra channels after last year. There were not extra BTN channels to add at the start of football season. They were never used during basketball season.

Currently no issues besides not having local ABC station, but can login through ESPN app to watch for sports. Of course that won’t impact everyone.

I am currently subscribing to both YouTube TV and DirecTV. I have mostly been watching YouTube TV to see if cutting the cord is feasible, and I think it is. And I have slow speeds (5 mbps max) currently.
As far as things I don't get with YouTube TV, I can stream anything. Might take a month subscription here and there but in the end it is far cheaper than DirecTV and it is unaffected by weather or pricing disputes (so far!)

In the DSM market, you also don't get sunday night nfl games and some other sports events on NBC. An antenna solves that problem for me, and the NBC streaming app might solve it if an antenna isn't an option for some reason

Last edited:
Agree with all the pro-YouTube TV threads. Just switched from cable in August. Sometimes not convenient to switch channels, but big economic win with better service. The channels YouTube TV doesn't have can be added through monthly streaming charges which are very reasonable.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
I will also add that with YouTube TV, you can watch any show about any time. Set it as a favorite and it records thst show/team games for you. Very convenient. And almost everything on demand.

I believe that BTN dropped using those extra channels after last year. There were not extra BTN channels to add at the start of football season. They were never used during basketball season.

YTTV gets all the rollover/overflow games

Thanks for all the feedback. Cut ties with DTV this morning and have been messing around YTTV and so far so good. Just wish I had done it sooner. Of course DTV offered to lower my bill by 40.00 for one year. Not sure how Dish or DTV will survive and I could care less. Since ATT acquired DTV their customer service has gone from excellent to awful and you have to go through at least 5 pitches to switch your cell service. They have taken customer professionals and turned them into script reading robots.

Reactions: WestIAHawk
How is the DVR service on YouTube TV? I've gotten to the point that I only watch Hawkeye games live and record everything else so I can avoid commercials. Can you store games on YouTube TV to watch over and over? Mediacom is trying to bleed me dry for channels I never watch.

How is the DVR service on YouTube TV? I've gotten to the point that I only watch Hawkeye games live and record everything else so I can avoid commercials. Can you store games on YouTube TV to watch over and over? Mediacom is trying to bleed me dry for channels I never watch.
Yes. And it is cloud-based so you have unlimited space, just a 9-month limit then it gets removed automatically. Link for more info: https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/7129564?hl=en

You Tube TV is great so far. Other than an occasional internet hiccup, it's been awesome at a far better price point. Of course if they don't get the Cubs network, I'll be shopping again in March.

I would love to try youtube tv, but here in the mountains the fastest internet CenturyLink offers is 14 mbps which is not fast enough, especially if somebody in the house is using the internet. It looks like the channel lineup is pretty good.

I can get some channels on a couple of my bedroom TV's without a box, just a cable input. Obviously that would change if I drop cable. Could I use Amazon firesticks on these TV's to get YouTubeTV?

Hulu w/live has been good and has a bunch of "ESPN extra" games on saturdays. Miss AMC though, and neither NFL nor MLB networks

I can get some channels on a couple of my bedroom TV's without a box, just a cable input. Obviously that would change if I drop cable. Could I use Amazon firesticks on these TV's to get YouTubeTV?
Not sure about FireStick, but Roku works great.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Absolutely recommend it. Only thing it is missing is the NFL Network and Sunday night Football which I get with a small OTA antenna in my house. And I was really tentative about cutting the cord.

I tried all the streaming services after I canceled direct tv. The best I found was PS vue core package with the extra sports add on and also got philo.
$85 a month total but every channel except premium movie channels. The sports add on was $10 and got about 15 extra sports stations.

What internet speed would you recommend for You Tube TV?
I have 5 mbps and it is slow but I am determined to make it work as it is the best I have available unless I switch back to Mediacom, which I won't.

If you can get 10 mbps+, that would be best.

Reactions: SMBHAWK

I switched from PS vue to you tube tv. How do you get the alternate BTN channels? Mine shows one BTN channel. Ps vue used to show all spillover BTN channels. Thx

I've had Youtube TV for awhile now except for a short time when we moved. I love it and would recommend it to everyone. The only problem I have had is when Xfinity (Comcast) loses internet (which seems to occur too often in our area). You can also customize the channel lineup based on your preferences.

How's the delay on live sports compared to cable or dish? Id do it, but I'll text someone about a game who's watching on Youtube TV and they're a good 30 seconds behind the game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT