ADVERTISEMENT

Questions about the Hawkeye Express

DCPoke

Scout Team
May 29, 2001
I'm coming to the game, but staying up in Cedar Rapids. I learned about the Hawkeye Express the other day and was wondering where is the best place to park to catch the train. There's the Mall, but it looks like a bit of a hike. Is that the best place?

Reactions: BrR9876
Field parking by IHOP is the best for the train it's kind of across from the mall I guess you could say haha

I'm coming to the game, but staying up in Cedar Rapids. I learned about the Hawkeye Express the other day and was wondering where is the best place to park to catch the train. There's the Mall, but it looks like a bit of a hike. Is that the best place?
The mall isn't that big of walk(Dillard's) or the comfort suites hotel..

Like Munson said, the mall isnt a very long walk. We park there if we use it and walk down to the black and gold shop and get tickets there. Saves time as there is a longer line when we get down to the train. The one thing I would mention is the train is a great way to go to the game, however I hate using it since everyone is trying to go back at the same time and the line/wait can be very long coming back. My kids love to ride it, but after the game I want to get out of there so I try to talk them out of it.

Reactions: towndog1
Train can be a good option if you dont want to deal with parking and already have a place to tailgate set up.

Nice thing is you dont need a ticket for the return trip so good for people that tailgate and just want to get picked up not in the madness near the stadium.

Reactions: ChrisVarick
Thanks for the info! I don't want to get into the parking hassle of inside Iowa City, so this seems the best way. Hope the Hawkeye faithful don't mind having a Cowboy ride along.

Some of my favorite convos with opposing fans came from NDSU while waiting in line to get on train after they beat us. Youll be fine haha

Ridden the Hawkeye Express since it started up. As said above, plenty of parking either west of the IHOP or at the Coralridge Mall. My preference was to park at the mall as it is easier to get out and on to the Interstate. The nice thing is that you can carry on tailgating supplies (drinks) and possibly enjoy one during your short train ride.
Again as reference above, the ride to the game is pretty laid back with plenty of room. The return ride after the game, they try to fit as many people as possible into that train. No matter the length of line, I have never had to wait more than one train trip to make the return trip. They do pile a LOT of people into those cars after the game.

I park downtown in a garage and walk across campus. Last year I took the train once and spent more time in line than I would have walking back to my car. If I tailgate its with people in the library lot anyway
I do like the library/down town lots for parking if I am just going to the game and leaving right away. Traffic isn't horrible to get to the Interstate and can almost always find a spot.

I park downtown in a garage and walk across campus. Last year I took the train once and spent more time in line than I would have walking back to my car. If I tailgate its with people in the library lot anyway
I won't do it anymore either. Close games the lines and wait times are long. 40 minute round trips. I've waited 3 trips to get on. People cut in line to make it all the more aggravating.

It's the best option for a day trip. Especially for a night game. We dealt with maybe 10 minutes of Coralville traffic for the ISU game last year before we were on 80 west for Des Moines.

Ridden the Hawkeye Express since it started up. As said above, plenty of parking either west of the IHOP or at the Coralridge Mall. My preference was to park at the mall as it is easier to get out and on to the Interstate. The nice thing is that you can carry on tailgating supplies (drinks) and possibly enjoy one during your short train ride.
Again as reference above, the ride to the game is pretty laid back with plenty of room. The return ride after the game, they try to fit as many people as possible into that train. No matter the length of line, I have never had to wait more than one train trip to make the return trip. They do pile a LOT of people into those cars after the game.

How long after game end (presuming you leave after the end) do you arrive back at the lot?

How long after game end (presuming you leave after the end) do you arrive back at the lot?

I took the train most games last season. Either had my elderly father with or young kids and they love the train so just go that route. We always wait until after the game is over to line up. We usually hit up the food vendors across Melrose after. Many are still there serving so we get some better food (non-Kinnick food) from one of them and eat and sit outside Kinnick and then head to the train. Let the line go down. We only have like a half hour drive home so we aren't looking to get out quick. The train does start up taking people back at the start of the 4th quarter so if you feel the need to get out quick you can always leave a little early to jump on it.

Not sure how they will improve the line experience waiting. The train can only go so fast to and from. We have never really had an issue with it. I think the worst is the late season cold games after having sat in the cold for hours. You just want to get the heck out of there. But we know that going into it.

I would estimate 45 minutes to an hour. Like I said earlier, this is the reason I don't like riding it because when the games over I just want to get out of there and have never thought traffic was really that bad in the other spots we park.

Thanks for the info! I don't want to get into the parking hassle of inside Iowa City, so this seems the best way. Hope the Hawkeye faithful don't mind having a Cowboy ride along.

I really would encourage you NOT to do that. Park in one of the public lots like lot 65 (think that's the one that's not far from Carver, our basketball arena). Or find a parking pass online for one of the donor lots. You'll get much more of the gameday experience by doing this. I think you'd miss out on a lot of things if you take the train to/from. One thing to know about tailgating in Iowa City - the police became VERY STRICT in 2010 or so on open containers in public areas (like sidewalks/streets) and while that has calmed down since then, they will still be on the watch for it. Unless you're being an ass, I don't think you will have any issues, but be aware of it.

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa

Drive down Melrose and park in someone's yard. Get in the environment. Don't park out by the mall

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT