ADVERTISEMENT

Questions for Posters Who Used to Be Anti War (and Those Who May Still Consider Themselves Anti War)....

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Do you support our involvement in Ukraine? If you support it, do you still consider yourself anti-war? Would you support more direct involvement?

Did the withdrawal from Afghanistan and it's worsening aftermath change your mind about withdrawing, or about being anti-war?

What do you think we should do if China tries to absorb Taiwan?

If you support the Ukraine war, is it more for humanitarian reasons, geopolitical reasons, or economic reasons? If more for humanitarian reasons, how do you feel about our relative disregard of conflicts in Africa?

Do you support our involvement in Ukraine? If you support it, do you still consider yourself anti-war? Would you support more direct involvement?

Did the withdrawal from Afghanistan and it's worsening aftermath change your mind about withdrawing, or about being anti-war?

What do you think we should do if China tries to absorb Taiwan?

If you support the Ukraine war, is it more for humanitarian reasons, geopolitical reasons, or economic reasons? If more for humanitarian reasons, how do you feel about our relative disregard of conflicts in Africa?
I'm Anti-war. I support Ukraine's efforts to stop the war (Russia leaves their territory). If Russia hadn't invaded Ukraine, there would be no war. Ukraine wasn't ever going to preemptively attack Russia. Pro War and Pro Defense are not the same thing. Sometimes war is forced on someone with no choice but to fight back.

I am generally anti-war if it is meddling in sovereign nation's affairs.

Ukraine I support because they were invaded and Russia is waging a war of aggression against a neighbor.

This is the same reason I supported the first Gulf War (when Kuwait was invaded by Iraq) but not the second Gulf War (which was waged over the dubious and ultimately debunked claims of WMDs.)

As much as I support Ukraine, their sovereignty and think it's the right thing to do - let's not pretend that our support to them isn't just another taxpayer subsidy to our MIC :(

As much as I support Ukraine, their sovereignty and think it's the right thing to do - let's not pretend that our support to them isn't just another taxpayer subsidy to our MIC :(
Counterpoint: if we are spending all those billions on weapons anyway, at least these ones are getting used against one of America's global rivals.

Counterpoint: if we are spending all those billions on weapons anyway, at least these ones are getting used against one of America's global rivals.
Three of America’s global rivals. Patriot missiles shooting down Iranian drones and HIMARS destroying North Korean ammunition is good for everyone.

Reactions: torbee
I'm anti-war. I'm also a non-interventionalist (as opposed to isolationist).

I would have supported NATO, as an organization, providing military aid to Ukraine. Yes, the US is the leader of NATO, but complete buy-in of NATO would be my standard.

In general, if a war needs to be fought, I think the goal should be to win. I don't believe in endless war and death by a thousand cuts.

As far as Taiwan goes, I really don't think the US should be involved. I didn't think it was a good idea for Pelosi to visit, and don't think McCarthy should visit. Why antagonize China? I suspect Taiwan will end up being like Hong Kong if we just leave it alone.

Ultimately, it's not that much different than pointing a gun at someone. If you do that, you need to be prepared to use it and kill someone. If we wage war, it should be brutal and quick. Polite war becomes endless war. The result is usually the same, but just takes longer.

I get that point but we aren't just spending the same money we would have spent. We are ramping up - and those armaments are being consumed. So we'll have to buy more. And more. And if/when the war ends, the bloated vested interests will be hard to pry off the government teat.

That's not an argument against helping Ukraine, but it's a big cautionary flag.

From an economic standpoint, I'm really concerned recent moves could change the cost balance. Until now, it's been looking like an economic disaster for Russia. But now we are sending billion-dollar Partiots to swat down 20-cent Iranian drones. Yes, that's hyperbole, but not all that much hyperbole. How long can we afford that trade-off?

The tank debate is getting interesting.

To me, the economic argument is the most disgusting of the 3. I think we have a moral obligation to contribute to the humanitarian effort. And I can understand the geopolitical ramifications. But I'm inclined to agree more with @Ree4 on this point.

Reactions: Ree4
Three of America’s global rivals. Patriot missiles shooting down Iranian drones and HIMARS destroying North Korean ammunition is good for everyone.
Especially the bankers and weapons manufacturers.

Lockheed doesn't care if you use HIMARS in a cost-efficient way. In fact, they probably hope you don't so they can sell more.

I am anti-stupid war. Invading Iraq? That was stupid. Defending against a proven aggressor who has gotten more bold with every action he's taken from starting WWIII? I can get behind that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT