ADVERTISEMENT

Questions heading into Season

Bryzzo

Team MVP
Aug 31, 2016
1 month to go!

Here is my list of questions I'm most interested in:

1. Who starts at the Guard spots?
My guess is that Britt and Schott win the starting jobs with Kallenberger and Banwart providing excellent backup options

2. Who is the starting Punter?
Will the Aussie Taylor win the gig or will Gersonde come out as the starter - I'll go with Taylor

3. Who starts at Corner? Hankins will start at 1 spot, the other CB spot will most likely be between Moss and Brents and I think Moss gets the starting nod.

4. Who wins the backup QB spot? Will Hogan be the backup right away or does Padilla hold down the #2 spot. I'll go with Hogan.

5. Who is the #1 Punt Returner? Probably gonna be Cooper, but Ragaini may be an option too. I say Cooper gets the nod.

6. Which Freshman (RS or True Freshman) will get significant playing time?
On Offense, I believe that Britt, Gavin Williams, Yelverton and Lachey will all get significant reps.
On Defense, I think that J. Jacobs, D. Craig, L. Lee, L. Jones and J. Higgins will all see plenty of action

Reasonably tough schedule, but as long as Petras comes out with some confidence and rapport with our WR's, I think the Hawks have a good shot at a 7-1 regular season with the one projected loss being in Happy Valley vs. PSU.

I'm ready!

1 month to go!

Here is my list of questions I'm most interested in:

1. Who starts at the Guard spots?
My guess is that Britt and Schott win the starting jobs with Kallenberger and Banwart providing excellent backup options

2. Who is the starting Punter?
Will the Aussie Taylor win the gig or will Gersonde come out as the starter - I'll go with Taylor

3. Who starts at Corner? Hankins will start at 1 spot, the other CB spot will most likely be between Moss and Brents and I think Moss gets the starting nod.

4. Who wins the backup QB spot? Will Hogan be the backup right away or does Padilla hold down the #2 spot. I'll go with Hogan.

5. Who is the #1 Punt Returner? Probably gonna be Cooper, but Ragaini may be an option too. I say Cooper gets the nod.

6. Which Freshman (RS or True Freshman) will get significant playing time?
On Offense, I believe that Britt, Gavin Williams, Yelverton and Lachey will all get significant reps.
On Defense, I think that J. Jacobs, D. Craig, L. Lee, L. Jones and J. Higgins will all see plenty of action

Reasonably tough schedule, but as long as Petras comes out with some confidence and rapport with our WR's, I think the Hawks have a good shot at a 7-1 regular season with the one projected loss being in Happy Valley vs. PSU.

I'm ready!
1. I don’t see how Britt beats out Kallenberger or Schott.
2. I don’t think Kirk will roll with Taylor straight away. Maybe a few games in but Gersonde should probably start the year.
3. Corner will probably be fluid outside of Hankins. Both Brents and Moss should split reps.
4. Don’t see why Hogan wouldn’t win the spot.
5. Cooper most likely. IMO Tracy should do it.
6. Lachey and/or Yelverton need to get get time. I don’t know about Gavin Williams because he’ll be behind Goodson, Sargent, IKM, and Byrd. Defensively we could see Craig potentially slide into a starting role if Waggoner or VV don’t pan out. Jones, Jacobs, and Lee will also see a number of reps.

1. I don’t see how Britt beats out Kallenberger or Schott.
2. I don’t think Kirk will roll with Taylor straight away. Maybe a few games in but Gersonde should probably start the year.
3. Corner will probably be fluid outside of Hankins. Both Brents and Moss should split reps.
4. Don’t see why Hogan wouldn’t win the spot.
5. Cooper most likely. IMO Tracy should do it.
6. Lachey and/or Yelverton need to get get time. I don’t know about Gavin Williams because he’ll be behind Goodson, Sargent, IKM, and Byrd. Defensively we could see Craig potentially slide into a starting role if Waggoner or VV don’t pan out. Jones, Jacobs, and Lee will also see a number of reps.

You don’t see how Hogan won’t win that spot? Padilla is pretty good and will battle Petras in camp

I think Hogan is stud. Padilla is real good but Hogan is just better IMO.
Sorry, but none of us have any idea how good Padilla or Hogan will be at the college level as neither has taken a competitive snap. Also, your thoughts on Tracy would appear to be pretty off base as he had some pretty serious issues with catching passes and receiving punts is definitely a lot more difficult. Hoping Tracy improves as much as ISM as far as freshman drops go.

I think Hogan is stud. Padilla is real good but Hogan is just better IMO.
I have to admit to being a little perplexed about every ones assuredness about the quality of our current QB's. Obviously Petras is the starter at this point. What he'll do, Not sure how anyone knows. Saying Padilla is real good, or Hogan will challenge? Well I hope everyone is correct and we have a great QB room currently. Not ONE of these guys has played ONE significant down of college football. Not ONE, especially BIG football. I don't see how we can come to any type of conclusion based on what they did in high school. Yes they were all really good in high school, which the BIG is not. Some guy named Jake was a high 4 star and had tons of offers from great schools and was supposed to be a MLB draft pick as well. Guy couldn't hit the side of a barn from 10 feet away. Now I'm not saying any of these guys is the second coming of JC, but who really know at this point? I guess its nice to be hopeful at this point anyway.

Reactions: HoustonHawkeye
Sorry, but none of us have any idea how good Padilla or Hogan will be at the college level as neither has taken a competitive snap. Also, your thoughts on Tracy would appear to be pretty off base as he had some pretty serious issues with catching passes and receiving punts is definitely a lot more difficult. Hoping Tracy improves as much as ISM as far as freshman drops go.
If Tracy has fixed the hands problem then he should be returning punts. He is super shifty and elusive and he has good speed. If he can catch the ball I don’t see why he shouldn’t return punts.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Some guy named Jake was a high 4 star and had tons of offers from great schools and was supposed to be a MLB draft pick as well. Guy couldn't hit the side of a barn from 10 feet away.

You're correct concerning his play on the field but I heard last week he now is some kind of QB guru. He worked all off season with Chicago Bear's Mitch Trubisky. As a bears fan I hope he's worked some magic with him shows why Chicago used what appears too many future picks to move up one spot to grab.

Some guy named Jake was a high 4 star and had tons of offers from great schools and was supposed to be a MLB draft pick as well. Guy couldn't hit the side of a barn from 10 feet away.

You're correct concerning his play on the field but I heard last week he now is some kind of QB guru. He worked all off season with Chicago Bear's Mitch Trubisky. As a bears fan I hope he's worked some magic with him shows why Chicago used what appears too many future picks to move up one spot to grab.
Good Lord. How desperate would you have to be to have Jake be your QB guru? I guess that says alot about the Bears. Sorry.......

If Tracy has fixed the hands problem then he should be returning punts. He is super shifty and elusive and he has good speed. If he can catch the ball I don’t see why he shouldn’t return punts.
I don’t want to find out that he hasn’t fixed the hands problem in the middle of a game when he muffs a punt and the other team recovers.

You might only get a return on a punt 50% of the time anyways, so I’ll take the guys who are sure to catch the ball but lack upside on returns versus guys who are playmakers but less surehanded.

KR is a different story

I don’t want to find out that he hasn’t fixed the hands problem in the middle of a game when he muffs a punt and the other team recovers.

You might only get a return on a punt 50% of the time anyways, so I’ll take the guys who are sure to catch the ball but lack upside on returns versus guys who are playmakers but less surehanded.

KR is a different story
That’s fair. If he has fixed the hand problem he really should be the PR.

I haven't seen any of them play in 2020, they all had different access to training for half the year. Therefore I know very little about them....

ADVERTISEMENT