ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Media Day thoughts

Adam Jacobi

HB MVP
Staff
Dec 30, 2022
Ferentz presser: Pretty easy to tell how heavy the gambling situation has been on Ferentz’s mind. He said the fact of players betting on Iowa was news to him, relative to his comments in Indianapolis a couple weeks ago. And based on what we’ve seen about the flow of info regarding the investigation, I don’t have any reason to believe otherwise.

Ferentz loosened up considerably once the topic switched back to football — imagine that — and he sounds cautiously optimistic about how practice has gone thus far. Sounds like the two “worst” injury situations are Shannon and Labas, and we’ll see if either problem even lasts until Week 1.

Honestly the KF availability went about as well as anyone could have expected. It’s not his first song and dance obviously, but there are some unique challenges in front of him and he didn’t run from any of it.

Pretty easy to tell talking to Coach Barnett why recruits and the staff revere him. Rusty Feth went out of his way to speak highly of Barnett in particular, more on that soon.

Talking to Phil Parker reminded me a bit of talking to Jan Jensen, and I mean that very complimentarily. Two brilliant minds at their sport who care (to a degree that would be impossible to feign) about their players and what they do.

Levar Woods is tremendous, of course. Tory Taylor mentioned Woods was one of the first people he met stateside and one of the biggest reasons he ended up at Iowa.

A lot of good stuff from Kelvin Bell on growth as well.

I spoke to about a dozen players, including DeJean, McNamara, both Kalebs and a bunch of linemen and linebackers. I hope the videos of Vines and Dunker turn out all right because those guys are very entertaining.

Time to drive back to DSM — and Eliot will have plenty of material coming yet soon too — just wanted to share before the drive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News