ADVERTISEMENT

Quick shout out to the Rutgers fans

RonaldMexico

HR MVP
Aug 11, 2020
We tailgated with quite a few Rutgers fans and had a 100% positive experience. What they lack in quantity, they make up for in quality. We drank for free most of the day.

The giving didn’t stop there. My favorite place to watch a game in stadiums with a second tier is from midfield, in the front row of the upper tier. Since the Rutgers sellout apparently only included the lower bowl of the field, I was obliged with seats in the the e front row at about the 35. The Rutgers hospitality didn’t end there. At halftime and through most of the second half a few Rutgers fans apparently decided that they would attempt to give the entire stadium a contact high. I am fairly certain I will fail a piss test for the remainder of 2022 and likely most of 2023. Guess I am stuck with my job.

Anyway, good times Rutgers. Thanks for the hospitality.

We tailgated with quite a few Rutgers fans and had a 100% positive experience. What they lack in quantity, they make up for in quality. We drank for free most of the day.

The giving didn’t stop there. My favorite place to watch a game in stadiums with a second tier is from midfield, in the front row of the upper tier. Since the Rutgers sellout apparently only included the lower bowl of the field, I was obliged with seats in the the e front row at about the 35. The Rutgers hospitality didn’t end there. At halftime and through most of the second half a few Rutgers fans apparently decided that they would attempt to give the entire stadium a contact high. I am fairly certain I will fail a piss test for the remainder of 2022 and likely most of 2023. Guess I am stuck with my job.

Smoking in the stadium is prohibited, but marijuana recreationally is now legal in NJ

The only away fan base that has been ugly to me was the ISU fans. To be fair, Iowa fans were being awful as well. I’ll never go to another CyHawk game. There’s a significant number of people who tailgate and have no interest in going to the game. They get drunk and act stupid. Both sets of fans.

I have been to Neb,ISU, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minny and Illinois. Nebraska and ISU many times. Good times. Having said that at Wisconsin pregame was fine but I witnessed some real crap returning to car, near the frat houses a lot of stuff thrown at fans beer and trash.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
My worst experience was at a Purdue game in Hayden's last year during the Drew Brees era. We got clobbered and the Purdue fans around us were horrible (yes likely alcohol induced). The 4 of us are not demonstrative at all and usually interact extremely well with fans of other teams (it's easy when you're polite and respectful). But after calling security and them telling us we were "getting what we deserved for being Iowa fans" we left. I haven't been back. I agree theiacowtipper that I'll never go to another CyHawk game. Go Hawks!

Alright so Rutgers is now my second favorite B1G team. Thanks for sharing your experience OP. Hope the piss police don't come for you anytime soon. It's 2022 after all.

Reactions: MrsScrew
You would be rude too if you had to live in Minneapolis. That place is a shit hole.
Outside of the students, almost nobody who lives in Minneapolis attends Gopher games. They come from the 'burbs.
But the Minnesota Scandavian culture thing is amusing...self-loathing turned outward.

The whole state is a shit hole.
What ever floats your boat. (pun intended). Minnesota is not that different from Iowa in some ways. The inner city of Mpls has been turned over to the criminals since 2020, no doubt about that. But there are plenty of nice folks up here and some pretty nice places.

I grew up in Iowa, love my home state and am eternally proud of my Hawkeye heritage. That said, Sioux City, Waterloo, Ft Dodge, much of deep South Central Iowa is nothing to pound your chest over. Every place has its goods and bads.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
What ever floats your boat. (pun intended). Minnesota is not that different from Iowa in some ways. The inner city of Mpls has been turned over to the criminals since 2020, no doubt about that. But there are plenty of nice folks up here and some pretty nice places.

I grew up in Iowa, love my home state and am eternally proud of my Hawkeye heritage. That said, Sioux City, Waterloo, Ft Dodge, much of deep South Central Iowa is nothing to pound your chest over. Every place has its goods and bads.
I honestly only fly into Des Moines whenever I’m back with an occasional drive to Iowa City for a game every other year.

So Iowa’s super fun in my book! Des Moines is a cool city. Always have a good time when I’m back seeing friends there.

• Haha
Reactions: InbredHawkeye

Great fans I tell you! One of the best set of fans only behind the HAWKEYES FANS!

The only away fan base that has been ugly to me was the ISU fans. To be fair, Iowa fans were being awful as well. I’ll never go to another CyHawk game. There’s a significant number of people who tailgate and have no interest in going to the game. They get drunk and act stupid. Both sets of fans.
yea I’ll never go to a Iowa/ISU game again either….. gets way too drunk (even for me)

I worked across the street from tOSU campus and went to quite a few games. The fans were generally horrible, especially for evening/night games when they were usually drunk. I only wore team gear when the Hawks played there (twice, both losses) and nearly had fights walking out of the stadium after games. I’ve been to about seven other B1G sites for Hawk games and had uniformly positive experiences. tOSU sucks bigly.

I've been to everywhere in the big ten except Rutgers and Penn State.
The only places I've had a negative experience are
Iowa State (highly unlikely I attend a basketball or football game there again)
Ohio State (2009 Vandenberg game and their fans are obnoxious)
Wisconsin (2015 We were with family that live in Madison and still were over the line harassed and dodged plenty of beer cans)

Positive Experiences-
Nebraska- Their fan base in person is completely different than their fanbase online. The haymarket area is awesome.
Purdue- Went to the game where tickets had higher stubhub fees than get in price. But their fans were very welcoming.
Michigan St- Went in 2009 and their fans were awesome until after the game. They were shell shocked at the ending and we got out of there as soon as possible.

Reactions: natchrlman
I’ll probably get blasted for saying this I had the same experience in Lincoln …. Illinois MSu Michigan everyone was very friendly….. Minnesota is the only fan base that’s been rude in the BIG in my travels
You haven’t been to Madison I take it?

I’ll probably get blasted for saying this I had the same experience in Lincoln …. Illinois MSu Michigan everyone was very friendly….. Minnesota is the only fan base that’s been rude in the BIG in my travels
You should probably avoid Madison to maintain your positive attitude of Big Ten fans.

Reactions: Hwkfn1
You should probably avoid Madison to maintain your positive attitude of Big Ten fans.
I had a good time there (obviously the game was a huge letdown). No one was less than hospitable to us tailgating, during the game or afterwards. I was quite surprised since everyone seems to have had at least 1 negative encounter in Madison.

I agree with this (although no contact high in my section). I was very impressed with the people around the Rutgers program. There is certainly some Iowa Nice in everyone I met this past weekend. Heck, these folks wanted to talk to me about NJ corn and how it compares to Iowa corn - SERIOUSLY. These guys are practically midwesterners under cover!

I agree with this (although no contact high in my section). I was very impressed with the people around the Rutgers program. There is certainly some Iowa Nice in everyone I met this past weekend. Heck, these folks wanted to talk to me about NJ corn and how it compares to Iowa corn - SERIOUSLY. These guys are practically midwesterners under cover!

🤣🤣🤣. Jersey corn at it's peak is like candy. So good you can eat it raw. Paired with Jersey tomatoes it's a spectacular summer meal.

The worst single game experience was @ Arizona in 2010, not far behind was @ ISU 1981.

Worst ongoing venue...ISU. Not going back to that goober town again.
Tucson and the University of Arizona in 2010 was, hands down, the absolute worst college football experience of all time. It was more like a prison yard than a stadium the way their fans acted before, during and after the game. And Tucson is a shit hole.

Reactions: BonzoFury
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT