ADVERTISEMENT

Quit smoking

clayborn_94

HR All-American
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2010
Looking to quit smoking and looking for any tips from others who have done so. I’ve tried a couple different times. Was thinking about trying Chantix. But what are some little things to try along with it to keep my mind off of it. I know gum, tooth picks and that are pretty common.

I have never smoked, but I’ve heard from an old roommate that when you get the urge you should go brush your teeth.

Reactions: Herkmeister
I would have a plan in advance of what you are going to do when the urges and cravings come your way. I would try to be very busy the first couple of days as a way to try to minimize your chances to sit and think about smoking all day long at first.

I was more into chewing tobacco but a terrible degenerate nicotine addict and I'd fly through a pack of smokes in a night sometimes drinking. I quit with Chantix. And I did the fast track where your quit date is 1 week after you start taking the medication. I took 2 days of PTO in front of the weekend so I would have 4 days of withdrawal before I had to interact with anyone. I bought some kratom online for another chemical distraction, but I was surprised that I really did not have any intense cravings like in the past without Chantix. Replaced the nicotine gum and chew I was rotating (nicotine gum at work) with just sugar free gum. Still gnaw on sugar free gum like a maniac but no nicotine cravings and I'm over a year now.

I had no bad side effects with Chantix, but the side effects many others report sound like something I'd pay for recreationally.

Looking to quit smoking and looking for any tips from others who have done so. I’ve tried a couple different times. Was thinking about trying Chantix. But what are some little things to try along with it to keep my mind off of it. I know gum, tooth picks and that are pretty common.

Nicotine lozenges were very helpful.

Switch to cigars. Just chewing on the end of it will give you that oral fix. You could even smoke it but not inhale. Work your way down from one a day to one every couple days to one a week to one a month, etc. It's a stairstep approach.

I chewed Copenhagen for about 15 years. I'd try to stop cold turkey and would have the nastiest withdrawals and would always go back. Switched from Cope to Grizzly to Red Man to cold turkey and the transition was much, much easier. No nasty withdrawals and was able to quit permanently for 10 years now. I don't even think about chew now. The thought of it makes me sick.

I went through a period a few years after I quit chewing where I started to smoke every time I drank. Had a drinking buddy that smoked. Bum one, bum two, next thing you know every time I drank the urge to smoke would come out like a tiger. Sober, never even thought about it. Switched to cigars when drinking and did the same stair step approach. The tiger urge is gone when I drink, although, I do enjoy smoking a nice cigar now but not for the nicotine fix. A good cigar is very complex and tasteful.

Good luck finding what works for you.

You have to have a "why". If you keep the "why" in focus, resisting the urge to smoke merely becomes resisting an incidental behavior.

Last edited:
Also don't drink much for a while after you quit. Makes not smoking quite a bit harder early on. I aborted several attempts in the past by waking up with a half pack of smokes or a can of chew.

1. Look for reasons to NOT go into gas stations. If you have to go to the counter, tell yourself "I can always buy a pack, is it worth it now?" You'll answer "no" everytime.

2. Find your biggest triggers--driving in the car, after meals, whatever, and put all your effort into NOT doing it then. If you can conquer those times, the other times will be easy.

Eventually days will turn into weeks, weeks to months, and you'll be a year out with no regrets.

They have a nasal spray now that is supposed to deliver a more cigarette like burst of nicotine. I'd look int it.

I quit cold turkey. I kept a glass of water where I would normally keep my cigarettes. When I reached to pick up a cigarette, I would suck down a glass of water. I pissed 5 times a night, but I washed that shit out as quick as I could.
Give yourself permission to feel bad for a few days. when you have the flu, you have no choice but you get through it. You'll get through this too. I had a rough week 5 weeks into it, that was the last one. When you quit, you'll dream from time to time that you started smoking again, those will piss you off.
It's been 30 years now since I quit, I'm one puff away from being a smoker again. Knowing that has kept me from taking that one puff.
You can do this, and will be damn glad you did.

I quit 22 years ago. Have a heart attack. Undergo "triple bypass" surgery......cough all that shit out of your lung and chest during your post-op recovery and you might be surprised how quickly (and permanently) you might quick smoking.
While I am piling on.....smoking will kill you if you give it enough time.....I bet you knew this...I bet your doc told you so, too. Good luck my friend.....Quitting ain't easy...

I was a heavy cigarette smoker and went to pipe, which seemed less offensive to most people, but no less healthy. I started having nightmares of being trapped in a coffin, and being claustrophobic, this became very unsettling.

I bought the standard stop smoking aids, but the fear beat out the desire for the habit, I guess. I simply did not want to smoke. That was in 1996.

If you want to try nicotine replacement, I would opt for the patch over the gum or lozenges. With those it's easy to accidentally increase your nicotine addiction. With the patch it's easier to stick to the schedule.

I started vaping instead. Can get vape with different amounts of nicotine. Started with 2.6% nicotine then a couple weeks later dropped down to 2%, then 2 weeks later dropped down again. After a couple months I was vaping 0% nicotine. Did that for a couple weeks and haven’t smoked or vaped since. I quit different times in the last 30 years and this was by far the easiest way to quit.

1. Look for reasons to NOT go into gas stations. If you have to go to the counter, tell yourself "I can always buy a pack, is it worth it now?" You'll answer "no" everytime.

Blake Bortles tried this. When he signed with the Rams, he bought a Tesla so he wouldn’t need to fuel up and buy chew. Instead, he drove his electric car to the gas station only to buy chew.

I switched to vape and my lungs almost immediately felt better. From vape I switched to tobacco free nicotine pouches.

Be careful though and stick to the lowest nicotine concentration with any alternatives. Some of the alternatives have much higher nicotine concentration than cigarettes and you could wind up even more addicted.

ADVERTISEMENT