ADVERTISEMENT

Quit smoking

In that case, I have a fool-proof quit smoking plan.
You know, Natty would be smiling with your response. Fruit must be the fool-proof quit smoking plan.
A1220915AE46D1FBDF56D263CBC2CB59EA3C6A96

b23cb68afb88b3df97c452a6a4e77c45.gif

Reactions: ghost80
Looking to quit smoking and looking for any tips from others who have done so. I’ve tried a couple different times. Was thinking about trying Chantix. But what are some little things to try along with it to keep my mind off of it. I know gum, tooth picks and that are pretty common.
I smoked for years. On March 11, 2018 I had my last cigarette at 11:00 p.m. The next morning I had my right knee replaced and was hospitalized for 4 days. I never really had a bad pang after that date. (I was told to quit smoking 6 weeks prior to surgery, but I've never liked being told what to do.)

Now that doesn't help you, but this might.

In June 2018 my right knee broke up and I had to go in for replacement #2. But this time they required a physical. A spot was found on my right lower lobe. In April 2019 that lobe was removed due to cancer. At the end of 2019 I developed a bad cough that ended up with vomiting blood. It took 3 biopsies to confirm , but I again had lung cancer. A different type of cancer.

Here's what I learned. Your lungs are damn fragile. I've suffered because of surgery and radiation. I'll never be the same. QUIT WHILE YOU HAVE A CHANCE. Smoking was the dumbest decision I ever made. Quitting is a shit load easier than radiation and chemo. Plus I had immunotherapy to which I had terrible reactions that nearly killed me. Two life flights in two months with tons of rehab.

You still have a choice. Look closely at your wife and children and do the smart thing. Trust me, your wife does not want to go through life without her partner.

Had a brother who tried to stop several times. Not blaming my sister-in-law but she was a chimney and there was no way he ever was going to be able to quit while she fired up.

He finally quit..when smoking killed him.
Since I've quit I pay attention to the guys my age who continue smoking. It really is sick to see how badly they age and the impact cigarettes have on the human body. I'm so excited to have quit smoking.

Sorry for the loss of your brother Ghost. 🙏

I quit 29 years ago as a 2 pack/day guy. I went cold turkey and was so nuts my wife told me to "just start again" on the second day. It eventually became bearable, but for the first year I had regular bouts with wanting to start again.

After that it faded away, but for the next 6 or seven years I would tell myself that I would start again at 80, or if my wife died before me, or other scenarios. Somewhere around 7-8 years I realized I never wanted to smoke again, even if I could. That's also when I could finally admit that I had been seriously addicted.

One other thought. If you do slip, just quit again. I had quit a couple of other times for a few weeks but relapsed. The third time was the one that finally worked for me.

Good luck.

Since I've quit I pay attention to the guys my age who continue smoking. It really is sick to see how badly they age and the impact cigarettes have on the human body. I'm so excited to have quit smoking.

Thanks Herk and congrats on being a survivor of smoking.

While we wish my brother could have kicked the habit we were proud of his actions at the end of his life. He handled the situation with grace and full self responsibility. I'm sure he had regrets but never voiced them and even when in great pain remained positive to the end. He looked for no sympathy, placed no blame, and acknowledged that smoking killed him and he was the only one that could have prevented that.

However I die, when my time comes I hope to follow my big brothers lead and leave this world as gracefully.

Last edited:

Imagine how bad I would look Herk, if I hadn’t quit cigs those 22years ago! Thankfully for me, the rough edges of my smoking past just added to my rakish Good looks. You are correct about smoking...It is the dumbest thing I ever did in my life...a life highlighted by bad decisions.
Take care.

Reactions: Herkmeister
I smoked for years. On March 11, 2018 I had my last cigarette at 11:00 p.m. The next morning I had my right knee replaced and was hospitalized for 4 days. I never really had a bad pang after that date. (I was told to quit smoking 6 weeks prior to surgery, but I've never liked being told what to do.)

Now that doesn't help you, but this might.

In June 2018 my right knee broke up and I had to go in for replacement #2. But this time they required a physical. A spot was found on my right lower lobe. In April 2019 that lobe was removed due to cancer. At the end of 2019 I developed a bad cough that ended up with vomiting blood. It took 3 biopsies to confirm , but I again had lung cancer. A different type of cancer.

Here's what I learned. Your lungs are damn fragile. I've suffered because of surgery and radiation. I'll never be the same. QUIT WHILE YOU HAVE A CHANCE. Smoking was the dumbest decision I ever made. Quitting is a shit load easier than radiation and chemo. Plus I had immunotherapy to which I had terrible reactions that nearly killed me. Two life flights in two months with tons of rehab.

You still have a choice. Look closely at your wife and children and do the smart thing. Trust me, your wife does not want to go through life without her partner.

Wow! If that doesn't motivate people, I don't know what will. In addition, there are many other nasty consequences from smoking, from slowing your metabolism to damaging your immune system, that smokers are "blessed" with.

Fantastic post, Herk. Thank you for sharing that.

But, do you have any teeth left? Those things are like raw sugar. I feel somewhat guilty using them
as rewards for my students.
Yeah it was just for a month or so.

sadly I had my last smoke watch Spurrier accept the NC trophy after whipping our ass in the Sugar Bowl.

Looking to quit smoking and looking for any tips from others who have done so. I’ve tried a couple different times. Was thinking about trying Chantix. But what are some little things to try along with it to keep my mind off of it. I know gum, tooth picks and that are pretty common.

Not sure I have any advice but good luck!

Smoked for over 20 years coming out of high school, and failed to quit several times. For me, the game changer was Chantix. It was a six week program, gave me an upset stomach (I combined the daily pill with an antacid), and the dreams were vivid and completely crazy (seriously, this is a listed side effect).

But after the first week or so, I just...didn’t care about smoking anymore. I keep a canister of gum in the car since driving was a big trigger for me, but otherwise that was it.

And after a while you recover your sense of smell and taste and realize what you’ve been missing (food) and how bad you, as a smoker, smelled to other people.

Cold Turkey 31 years ago. Smoked Camel Filters...was a friggin Chimney when I was out at the bars. Then it was an everyday thing. I used to really enjoy a smoke after eating a nice dinner. It is no longer part of my life and to be honest I haven't thought about cigarettes for as long as I can remember. Its not part of my life...thank god. I did put on weight after I quit

Imagine how bad I would look Herk, if I hadn’t quit cigs those 22years ago! Thankfully for me, the rough edges of my smoking past just added to my rakish Good looks. You are correct about smoking...It is the dumbest thing I ever did in my life...a life highlighted by bad decisions.
Take care.
OK Joel, you asked the question, "Imagine how bad I would look". Honestly, I've been pondering this for several hours. I came up with the answer, but then I realized that as of last week, this is now grossly inappropriate. Please accept my sincere apology if using a gender sensitive name.

Mr. Raisin (The skin tone made this a no brainer.)

iu

So, since Mr. Raisin is now so inappropriate, I'll go with my second choice. Had you kept smoking and gotten yourself a cheap synthetic wig, I think this would be pretty close.

iu

I must say that I too bare an eerie similarity to images. 😳 No wonder I love ya!! LOL

OK Joel, you asked the question, "Imagine how bad I would look". Honestly, I've been pondering this for several hours. I came up with the answer, but then I realized that as of last week, this is now grossly inappropriate. Please accept my sincere apology if using a gender sensitive name.

Mr. Raisin (The skin tone made this a no brainer.)

iu

So, since Mr. Raisin is now so inappropriate, I'll go with my second choice. Had you kept smoking and gotten yourself a cheap synthetic wig, I think this would be pretty close.

iu

I must say that I too bare an eerie similarity to images. 😳 No wonder I love ya!! LOL
Hormone therapy??? The one advantage of getting old herk is that others who don't know, never just know for sure......."Is he/she really that phuquin' strange....or is it "age"? o_O

Hormone therapy??? The one advantage of getting old herk is that others who don't know, never just know for sure......."Is he/she really that phuquin' strange....or is it "age"? o_O
LMAO....... TRUE DAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

iu

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT