ADVERTISEMENT

R.I.P. Bernard Shaw

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Former CNN anchor Bernard Shaw died Wednesday of pneumonia unrelated to Covid-19, Shaw's family announced in a statement Thursday. Shaw was 82.

Shaw was CNN's first chief anchor and was with the network when it launched on June 1, 1980. He retired from CNN after more than 20 years on February 28, 2001.

During his storied career, Shaw reported on some of the biggest stories of that time -- including the student revolt in Tiananmen Square in May 1989, the First Gulf war live from Baghdad in 1991, and the 2000 presidential election.

"CNN's beloved anchor and colleague, Bernard Shaw, passed away yesterday at the age of 82. Bernie was a CNN original and was our Washington Anchor when we launched on June 1st, 1980," Chris Licht, CNN Chairman and CEO, said in a statement Thursday. "He was our lead anchor for the next twenty years from anchoring coverage of presidential elections to his iconic coverage of the First Gulf War live from Baghdad in 1991. Even after he left CNN, Bernie remained a close member of our CNN family providing our viewers with context about historic events as recently as last year. The condolences of all of us at CNN go out to his wife Linda and his children."

Funeral services for Shaw will be closed to family and invited guests only, with a public memorial service planned at a later time, his family said.

"In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the Bernard Shaw Scholarship Fund at the University of Chicago. The Shaw family requests complete privacy at this time," the family said in their statement provided by former CNN CEO Tom Johnson.

He was a good one, for sure. A true newsman.

And a belated R.I.P. for George Bernard Shaw, who left us on a July 26th, only 72 short years ago.

Reactions: goldmom
I remember getting off the bus and heading straight to the tv to watch him cover the Gulf War.

Dude had his camera pointing out the window of a hotel as the Fourth of July was being dropped by stealth bombers.

Man that entertained the chit out of me. Loved it.

images

Of the three that were in the Al Rasheed hotel that January night in Baghdad, two have died. Bernie and John Holliman. Only Peter Arnett survives. Sadly I wish Wolf Blizter would have been killed but he was Pentagon Correspondent back them and mumbling in DC.

I remember getting off the bus and heading straight to the tv to watch him cover the Gulf War.

Dude had his camera pointing out the window of a hotel as the Fourth of July was being dropped by stealth bombers.

Man that entertained the chit out of me. Loved it.

images
Hiding under a desk with Peter Arnet to avoid Iraqi government officials.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT