ADVERTISEMENT

Race Relations

How are race relations post George Floyd?

• Better

• Worse

• The Same

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hawk_82

HR Heisman
Sep 17, 2006
Do you think race relations have gotten better, worse, or stayed the same since George Floyd died? I am specifically wondering on a local level.

I am white and I never encountered any racial conflict prior to George Floyd. So I would say things have stayed the same. I also live in Iowa City where I think different races are more widely accepted than other areas of the state and country.

What is your experience?

Do you think race relations have gotten better, worse, or stayed the same since George Floyd died? I am specifically wondering on a local level.

I am white and I never encountered any racial conflict prior to George Floyd. So I would say things have stayed the same. I also live in Iowa City where I think different races are more widely accepted than other areas of the state and country.

What is your experience?
That's adorable.

Reactions: Big Hawk D-Port
The woke crowd has made it worse. Not to mention social media and the media as a whole. Turn all that off, and race relations are fine. Turn it on, and this is racist, that is racist, he is racist, she is racist. Everything and everyone is racist. Every story nowadays has to involve race. Police officer shoots a violent criminal? The focus is rarely on the crimes the criminal commits, but whether or not the criminal is black and the police officer is white. And who do we have to thank for that? The woke mob and media.

What is it with GQPers and their obsession with the phrase "woke"? Other than forum posters here I literally have rarely seen or heard that word. Is this the nail that the conservative news is pounding along with immigration, faux marxism and Hunter Biden?

If nothing else, it certainly has opened my eyes to how many POS racists/white supremacists still live amongst us.
Seriously, I don't know of anyone in my daily personal life or work group that is a racist. Not one. I see videos of them posted online, but I never see one in person.

Reactions: Hawk_82
The only difference i see is the white supremacist are now out in the open, where as they stayed hidden before.

To be fair... you do have polls like this:

(I don't think this squares with most people's lived experience, however... I do think this is owed in large part to the way social/media presents the topic... you can see the numbers took a nose dive around the Travon Martin incident, which is also about the time social media became a common experience)

yjqhygxpbegosy0bswgsda.png

Last edited:
Ah yes, god forbid our schools teach actual history instead of the annotated crap that fox news prefers.
I learned actual history and I also TAUGHT actual history. God forbid anyone relies on some TV personality as their primary source of learning-but if you’re an adult who tunes in to prime time infotainment for learning you have some serious challenges anyway.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
The woke crowd has made it worse. Not to mention social media and the media as a whole.
I think it turned into a topic media could capitalize on, that social media algorithms could capitalize on. And they did. You'd think we'd be more circumspect around a topic like this -- and the attention wasn't all bad, there were good things that happened -- but this is America...

I learned actual history and I also TAUGHT actual history. God forbid anyone relies on some TV personality as their primary source of learning-but if you’re an adult who tunes in to prime time infotainment for learning you have some serious challenges anyway.
Sports are the only TV I watch. MSM is all garbage. Not sure who you think you're talking to.

I think George Floyd was a seminal moment for activists and the chattering class. I doubt if it change a thing for anyone else.
Yeah, I wonder about this. I think most of the benefit was actually found in getting certain people to think/talk about race at all. But the realizations they had weren't of any interest to the 'chattering class' as you call them. (they had conquered that territory long ago)

The handy work of the chattering class was just not that meaningful as far as I can see. We built awareness around certain sub-issues related to race... but... where were the big ideas, the big solutions? That's not what circulated widely, that's not where most people's interests were. Part of that is because the issues that remain aren't easily remedied by simple legislation. Policing needs to improve... but how exactly?

A lot of it just felt like... noise... commentary, meta considerations. Talking about "the thing that was happening" -- it's as if we've become so hyper aware of everything happening around us that movements and moments have a tendency to become about themselves, to an extent.

And then they're capitalized upon all this at rapid pace... by political forces, capitalist forces... it's as though we've lost the ability to be genuine. (at least a level that's at any scale)

Activism is now something Nike and ESPN capitalize on.

(you could argue, again, that it's not all bad... that it represents a certain level of positive societal development such that such ideas could conceivably be marketed for profit at all... but...)

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
ADVERTISEMENT