ADVERTISEMENT

Racism, Nationalism, or Just Bad Sports Journalism?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Watching a women's 1500M semifinal. There was a mixup and 2 women fell.

One was a blonde American, the other a dark Kenyan.

If you had been listening to the reporting on radio, you wouldn't have known the Kenyan also fell until about 40 seconds later, when they mentioned that the American went down with the Kenyan (and never mentioned the Kenyan again). That's a long time to only discuss the American.

So, yeah, it's a US-tailored broadcast. So talking more about our runner makes sense. But totally ignoring the other runner...?

tenor.gif

They are going to be focused on the American runner no matter what color she is.

If I listen to a Colts game on the radio the commentators are paid by the Colts to broadcast games for the Colts and they are just going to mainly talk about what the Colts should do to win.

Not sure what you're talking about...

Sifan Hassan, from the Netherlands, fell in her 1500 semi and came back to win her heat with a kick that will destroy everyone in the final. Didn't get to see the other semi.

If you had been listening to the reporting on radio, you wouldn't have known the Kenyan also fell until about 40 seconds later, when they mentioned that the American went down with the Kenyan (and never mentioned the Kenyan again). That's a long time to only discuss the American.

So, yeah, it's a US-tailored broadcast. So talking more about our runner makes sense. But totally ignoring the other runner...?

Jeezus.

US centric broadcast. Neither were a threat to medal so it's a non-story really.

I'm surprised no one is talking about the wrestler biting his opponent and not getting DQ'd. He went on to get the bronze.

They are going to be focused on the American runner no matter what color she is.
There's a pretty big difference between being focused and totally forgetting the other runner - all while both are filling the video image.

Do you honestly think a caucasian Brit or Swede would have been totally ignored like that?

Not a fan of making veiled accusations based on a singular incident without more data.

Do you know who the commentators were on the broadcast? @What Would Jesus Do?

Most of the track and field commentary I have heard has been primarily Ato Boldon, Leigh Diffey, and Sanya Richardson Ross.

Last edited:
Reactions: SIXERS24
Not a fan of making veiled accusations based on a singular incident without more data.
"Veiled accusations"?

WTF?

I laid out 3 reasons. I think they cover the most plausible explanations, alone or in combination. That's not a veiled accusation. It's an accusation.

Do you have a better explanation? If so, I'd be interested in hearing it.

I rejected the "honest mistake" option simply because of the length of time when they went on and on, never mentioning the Kenyan.

There's a pretty big difference between being focused and totally forgetting the other runner - all while both are filling the video image.

Do you honestly think a caucasian Brit or Swede would have been totally ignored like that?
Yes. I've watched enough to see that they don't care about anyone except the favorites and the americans. Nothing to do with race.

Think about this.

If they had mentioned - or even acknowledged - both runners early, and then spent 95% of the time talking about the American, I think it would be fair to chalk the discrepancy up to nationalism. So probably no big deal.

But that's not what happened.

No.

I'm curious that you seem to be suggesting that it would be OK for some broadcasters to total ignore one of the tw people involved.

It is fine to have more discussion about one runner, that is something no one would dispute. McGee is going to be much more well known to the audience and she was the one that got clipped.

What I was curious about is if you know anything about the people you are accusing of possibly being racist or nationalist.
You said you don't, now I understand the initial question.

Thank you for the clarification

Well it's impossible to really know, obviously. Like everyone else is pointing out, likely the big, overwhelming contribution variable wise is the US focus of the broadcast.

Well it's impossible to really know, obviously. Like everyone else is pointing out, likely the big, overwhelming contribution variable wise is the US focus of the broadcast.
They can't stop talking about Sifan Hassan's fall, and she's brown. It's because she's a favorite....and the fact that she came back to win her heat after falling.

They can't stop talking about Sifan Hassan's fall, and she's brown. It's because she's a favorite....and the fact that she came back to win her heat after falling.

You're probably right, favorites and US. It's just that there's is always this blackbox when it comes to intent and you could always concoct some scenario in which X variable might make some contribution, even if small. To me at some point it's just not interesting enough to talk about.

Speaking of Hassan... her limbs or so incredibly tiny, she's like a stick figure out there, but what a kick. I read about the long distance runners and apparently the physiology for people in that region of Africa is just perfectly suited for this sort of distance running.

You're probably right, favorites and US. It's just that there's is always this blackbox when it comes to intent and you could always concoct some scenario in which X variable might make some contribution, even if small. To me at some point it's just not interesting enough to talk about.

Speaking of Hassan... her limbs or so incredibly tiny, she's like a stick figure out there, but what a kick. I read about the long distance runners and apparently the physiology for people in that region of Africa is just perfectly suited for this sort of distance running.
Yeah, I watched the finals of the 5000m when she won gold and I was noticing that all the medalist had just weird limbs. I was a bit stoned (had tough physical therapy that day) and watching them run freaked me out a bit. They have almost no definition on their limbs. Really long and thin. So odd to watch.

Do us a favor and search for the Kenyan broadcast and let us know who they talk about so we can label them racists too for no reason.

Do us a favor and search for the Kenyan broadcast and let us know who they talk about so we can label them racists too for no reason.
No kidding. Watch the aftermath of a race/event carefully, and you'll see all the different athletes wander up to different parts of the stands and stand in front of cameras answering questions. People in Germany, China, Poland, Cameroon etc. are all watching their local channels cover the olympics, not NBC.

Reactions: goldmom
Why Kenyan's dominate long distance running. (of course they'd get smoked in most quick twitch muscle sports, or anything where strength is a virtue)
I didn't read the story but it's my understanding that most Kenyans are really good at distance races because they don't have cars and have to run about 20 miles to get a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk or visit family.

Bored today?

Reactions: hawkland14
I didn't read the story but it's my understanding that most Kenyans are really good at distance races because they don't have cars and have to run about 20 miles to get a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk or visit family.

Said it was mostly due to build. What you mentioned is a bit of a myth. Short torso, long legs and skinny limbs are really common there. And it's not all Kenyans. A subset of them.

"Veiled accusations"?

WTF?

I laid out 3 reasons. I think they cover the most plausible explanations, alone or in combination. That's not a veiled accusation. It's an accusation.

Do you have a better explanation? If so, I'd be interested in hearing it.

I rejected the "honest mistake" option simply because of the length of time when they went on and on, never mentioning the Kenyan.

Several people have given you the most plausible answer.

Several people have given you the most plausible answer.
Several people have agreed with what I said in the OP...

So, yeah, it's a US-tailored broadcast. So talking more about our runner makes sense.​

... but is that the whole answer?

That answer doesn't explain completely ignoring the other fallen runner. It only "justifies" giving more attention to the American.

But HROT can't be wrong. Clearly sports announcers are immune to the systemic racism that pervades the rest of our culture.

How do they do it? It's a mystery.

I think it’s a pretty big stretch to assume something like this might be racism, intentional or subconscious.

Assumptions like this are counterproductive.

Several people have agreed with what I said in the OP...

So, yeah, it's a US-tailored broadcast. So talking more about our runner makes sense.​

... but is that the whole answer?

That answer doesn't explain completely ignoring the other fallen runner. It only "justifies" giving more attention to the American.

But HROT can't be wrong. Clearly sports announcers are immune to the systemic racism that pervades the rest of our culture.

How do they do it? It's a mystery.
I just seen more racism. A Kenyan was winning the 2nd heat of the 1500 men's and the American crew working for the American broadcast company, broadcasting to Americans talked about the American who was the returning gold medalist more than the Kenyan. They even had the gall to briefly mention the Polish runner pulling up lame. Obviously they did so because he is white and they are racist.

I think it’s a pretty big stretch to assume something like this might be racism, intentional or subconscious.

Assumptions like this are counterproductive.
This is the United States of America.

It's a pretty big stretch to dismiss racism as a meaningful factor.

Your assumption isn't counterproductive - unless you oppose racism in America.

US centric broadcast. Neither were a threat to medal so it's a non-story really.

I'm surprised no one is talking about the wrestler biting his opponent and not getting DQ'd. He went on to get the bronze.
Dismissal and deflection.

It's worked for as long as this nation has pretended to care about racism.

ADVERTISEMENT