ADVERTISEMENT

Rafdal to huskers

Man thankfully you guys passed on Noah Fant. Now Rafdal can get all the catches from Fife. Lmao
Best retort to the Husker trolling ... apart from not knowing that Fyfe graduated with Armstrong.

Fant is going to be a great one at Iowa too. In fact, Hockenson and Beyer (Beyer being another guy whom Nebraska wanted to land) will likely develop into fine TEs too.

Rafdal has the size of an OT. Thus, at the very least, he could develop into a good blocking TE. The remaining question is what sort of athleticism does he have? Does he have the athleticism of a Gronk? Of is athleticism more on par of Cotton (a prior "big" TE of the Huskers)? In all likelihood, the answer is more the latter - and that is still good for the Huskers because Cotton was a fine TE.

Reactions: RogerKint
Best retort to the Husker trolling ... apart from not knowing that Fyfe graduated with Armstrong.

Fant is going to be a great one at Iowa too. In fact, Hockenson and Beyer (Beyer being another guy whom Nebraska wanted to land) will likely develop into fine TEs too.

Rafdal has the size of an OT. Thus, at the very least, he could develop into a good blocking TE. The remaining question is what sort of athleticism does he have? Does he have the athleticism of a Gronk? Of is athleticism more on par of Cotton (a prior "big" TE of the Huskers)? In all likelihood, the answer is more the latter - and that is still good for the Huskers because Cotton was a fine TE.

Fyfe is done? Damn It!! Thanks for the update Homer. I agree with everything you said. I love our TE unit. That and DE are the groups I have no worries about.

Fyfe is done? Damn It!! Thanks for the update Homer. I agree with everything you said. I love our TE unit. That and DE are the groups I have no worries about.
Yeah ... Husker fans have subsequently educated me about their current QB situation. Much of their hope in the '17 season rests on the arm of Tanner Lee - a QB transfer from Tulane. The kid started 2 years at Tulane before transferring to Nebraska. He sat out the '16 season due to transfer rules. Consequently, he has 2 years of eligibility remaining (if memory serves).

The good news for Husker faithful is that their projected starter is an experienced guy - a guy who is familiar with the speed of the college game. The down-side is that he's a guy who's still just in his 2nd year working within Riley's system.

Interestingly, the Huskers lost a good number of skill players on O and a number of quality guys among their back 7 on D. Also, the Huskers will be implementing a new defensive system entering '17. Diaco is a darn fine coach ... so I'd anticipate that there likely won't be a huge transition on D. However, on the other hand, Nebraska's DL was a little bit of a problem for the '16 season because they were rather inexperienced. Entering '17, it looked like the DL could transition towards being more of a team strength. However, the caveat of all that is that now they won't be playing as many D-linemen. Also, they lost a good number of LBs to graduation ... so they might experience some growing pains at LB as they get guys who both fit the new scheme and who have the experience to play at a really high level.

I'm really excited about our TE unit too. Heck, given how he played in '16 ... Wieting might prove to surprise us too. Right now he seems like he could be a pretty competent blocking TE. Before too long ... he could round out his game too.

Complementing my excitement about our TEs is the fact that you have to figure that between O'Keefe and Brian ... they're going to put more of the O on the plate of the TEs. Heck, part of how NDSU managed to move the ball on us was exploiting the passing game to the TE (Polasek was a TE coach at NIU after all).

While the TEs didn't disappear from the Iowa roster under Greg Davis ... I anticipate that we might see the unit's utilization continue to rise as the unit gains experience.

Reactions: madmax1191
Will Coons play TE at Iowa? I think he starts there but i've seen speculation on the various boards he may eventually move positions. I dont know much about him.
Fant, Hockenson, Wiesnieski, Vevoda, Weiting, Pekar, Beyer eventually?, and Coons?
Nice looking unit. Lots of pieces to play around with.
Also who is the TE coach now? TIA for any insights

We're better than you in football.
We're better than you in basketball.
We're better than you in wrestling.
We can drink you under the table.

Why are you here exactly?

And I think LeShun Daniels just rushed for another 100 yards against the black shirts.
That's black "skirts".

Will Coons play TE at Iowa? I think he starts there but i've seen speculation on the various boards he may eventually move positions. I dont know much about him.
Fant, Hockenson, Wiesnieski, Vevoda, Weiting, Pekar, Beyer eventually?, and Coons?
Nice looking unit. Lots of pieces to play around with.
Also who is the TE coach now? TIA for any insights
Coons strikes me as one of those "glue" guys ... he can project at a bunch of different places. He could probably work at TE, LB, or even eventually develop into a d-lineman.

However, given that we had 5 guys try to give LB a go in the '16 class ... It's probably fine that Coons initially gives TE a go. After all, assuming he redshirts, that will already give him some eligibility spacing between himself and Fant. That gives him plenty of time to develop. And, as we all know, Iowa likes using its TEs ... so it's not uncommon for them to actively use 3 TEs (and use more if there are injuries). Back in 2013, we had some success using some 3 TE sets on "normal" down and distances.

Coons strikes me as one of those "glue" guys ... he can project at a bunch of different places. He could probably work at TE, LB, or even eventually develop into a d-lineman.

However, given that we had 5 guys try to give LB a go in the '16 class ... It's probably fine that Coons initially gives TE a go. After all, assuming he redshirts, that will already give him some eligibility spacing between himself and Fant. That gives him plenty of time to develop. And, as we all know, Iowa likes using its TEs ... so it's not uncommon for them to actively use 3 TEs (and use more if there are injuries). Back in 2013, we had some success using some 3 TE sets on "normal" down and distances.
Coons also runs the shuttle hurdle relay in track, that adds to his speed. TO to start but could go DE.

ADVERTISEMENT