ADVERTISEMENT

Random Question: What is your favorite football movie

Has to be Rudy. Followed by original Longest Yard. The quality of football films compared to baseball for example is poor

Varsity Blues and The Program are entertaining but they are not classics

Reactions: WestIAHawk
Finally someone else said “All the Right Moves” with Tom Cruise. The coach was Craig T. Nelson who later starred in the sitcom “Coach”.

Movie captures HS football as well as it's ever been done. The bus ride scene on their way to Walnut Heights is exactly how I remember bus rides to away games. So much tension.

1. North Dallas Forty was ahead of its time. Great movie.
2. Rudy (I despise ND, but it's a great story and meeting Dan Ruettiger slants my pick)
3. tie Remember the Titans / The Longest Yard

The Last Boy Scout? That has football in it right?!?

Along those lines not a football movie but great football scene from an awesome movie I'd have to go with Point Break. Keanu Reeves talked about few years ago they brought former coach Rick Neuheisel into be a personal QB coach for that scene.

The Freshman by Harold Lloyd and Horse Feathers by the Marx Brothers. Black & white films and all, and one is even silent. But, if you want a good laugh, check them out.

Also, Knute Rockne, All American. Another black & white film and is about Notre Dame. But, Ronald Reagan was in the film. Win one for the Gipper!

I know I'm in the minority here, but I despise Remember the Titans. It's nothing but a movie-length collection of sports movie cliches.
As for my favorite football movie, does M*A*S*H count?

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
The movie "Friday Night Lights" from 2004, is hard to beat.

It's based off true story - if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend.

Very, very thinly based on Friday Night Lights.

I never understand why Hollywood takes good stories on real teams and just totally change. "The Express" about Ernie Davis could have been a great movie, but it totally sucked. Then again "Remember the Titans: was a good movie, but it was about 85% fiction.

Very, very thinly based on Friday Night Lights.

I never understand why Hollywood takes good stories on real teams and just totally change. "The Express" about Ernie Davis could have been a great movie, but it totally sucked. Then again "Remember the Titans: was a good movie, but it was about 85% fiction.
If I remember correctly the author of Friday Night Lights was very critical of the entire idea of Texas HS football (with some legitimate points though), and argued against continuing football in the US a few years back.

• 1) North Dallas Forty <== My all time favorite
  • 2) Any Given Sunday
  • 3) Rudy
  • Invincible
  • Heaven can wait
  • Remember the Titans
  • Brian's Song
  • We Are Marshall
  • The Longest Yard (the original with Burt)
  • Semi-tough
  • The Water Boy
  • Leather Necks
  • Maybe these two (the football parts)
    Against all Odds
    Jerry McGuire
Not sure how to rank these, some drama, some comedy, some pure football....
dang never even heard of north dallas 40. will have to see if it's online anywhere!

dang never even heard of north dallas 40. will have to see if it's online anywhere!

Never heard of it?! Dude...you're in for a treat. Granted, you'll have to get in the wayback machine and think late 70s. If you can get in that frame of mind you'll love it. It was one of the first football movies...and pretty authentic for its time.

The team was styled after the Dallas Cowboys...a cold impersonal HC Tom Landry, one of the first teams to start using metrics and treat it more like business than sport. IMHO, one of Nick Nolte's best roles. The opening scene alone...is worth the watch. (side note, check out the Iowa flag in the background)

Enjoy.

Never heard of it?! Dude...you're in for a treat. Granted, you'll have to get in the wayback machine and think late 70s. If you can get in that frame of mind you'll love it. It was one of the first football movies...and pretty authentic for its time.

The team was styled after the Dallas Cowboys...a cold impersonal HC Tom Landry, one of the first teams to start using metrics and treat it more like business than sport. IMHO, one of Nick Nolte's best roles. The opening scene alone...is worth the watch. (side note, check out the Iowa flag in the background)

Enjoy.

Agree. Brutal. But agree.

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
Rudy is an inspirational movie to watch with your kids, but I seem to recall a quote from Joe Montana and others that there is a lot of fiction in that movie. If you want another inspirational ND movie loose with the truth I recommend Knute Rockne: All-American. Old but a lot of fun to watch. Pat O'Brien, Ronald Reagan, Barry Fitzgerald.

From what I've read from Gale Sayers the original Brian's Song got it mostly right. Great actors too (James Caan, Billy Dee Williams, a cute Shelley Fabares).

I liked Remember the Titans too, also "based on a true story." All the Right Moves didn't pretend to be true but was entertaining and probably reflected some truths about high school football in Western PA and many other places. The Longest Yard is more of a prison movie than a football movie, but the football game is great and again, outstanding acting (Burt Reynolds, Eddie Albert, the underrated James Hampton).

Rudy is an inspirational movie to watch with your kids, but I seem to recall a quote from Joe Montana and others that there is a lot of fiction in that movie.

Well yeah...it's a movie. Artistic license is expected. Unlike the news, where people expect a closer adherence to the facts...and still get plenty of fiction.

A bit of a qualifier here about my high ranking of Any Given Sunday..

After listening to this speech, I wanted to strap on some gear and hit the gridiron.

The rest of the movie is a bit over done and too much focus on the owners and player greed.

The game footage is a little cheesy but like NDF, some honest and more modern takes on what risks players are willing to take to keep playing for love of the game; for love of money; for glory seeking. Liked Jim Brown and LT in their roles.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT