ADVERTISEMENT

Random Question: Who's your all time favorite hawkeye

Drew Tate. Guy was a gamer and competitive as hell.

He’s the QB I’m taking from the Ferentz era if I need to win one game.

Reactions: Wadzinator
Kazoohawk mentioned Pat Dean. Tough, hard as nails player. In the 1981 game against Sparty, Dean (a NG) pursued a Spartan ball carrier onto the MSU sideline. Some kind of kerfluffle ensued, with many green-helmeted guys in white jerseys surrounding one guy in black helmet and jersey. The refs somehow got him out of there.

Nile Clarke Kinnick Jr

giphy.gif

Bobby Stoops, for all of the same reasons the younger people are voting for Bob Sanders.

He used to hit people so hard he would knock himself and the other guy out of the game. He was part of Hayden Fry’s first teams that turned around the program.

Favorite quote: “ man, that Stoops guy has been at Iowa forever! Is he ever going to graduate?” Is a quote from (I think) an opposing coach, who didn’t realize that Hayden let Mike and Mark wear the same #41.

Now, if you can vote for a coach, it’s gotta be Hayden Fry. “Scratch where it itches, even if it is on the seat of your pants!”
Mike didn’t wear 41 until Bobby left

every team needs a little crazy.

every team needs a matt roth.

Disagree...good football player but too much of a psychopath who took some cheap shots. Bob Sanders hit just as hard and played just as much intensity but had more respect for the game and was a better representative for the university.

Reactions: MikeT2425
Drew Tate. Guy was a gamer and competitive as hell.

He’s the QB I’m taking from the Ferentz era if I need to win one game.

Nah, Ricki Stanzi his junior year before the coaches made him "efficient". Indiana game, down by 10 with 5 interceptions going through the 3rd quarter.

I am going to go old school and choose the only Heisman winner ever at Iowa- Nile Kinnick. I think he was good enough that they named a stadium after him.

Reactions: SoCal_hawkeye
Sedrick Shaw was my favorite running back
Chuck Long for QB
Marvin McNutt for receiver
Noah Fant at TE
Robert Gallery lineman
Leroy Smith DE
Jared DeVries DT
Larry Station LB
Bob Sanders DB

Reactions: MikeT2425
Stunned that there's only been one minor mention of Larry Station.

Best LB in Iowa history. My all-time favorite Hawkeye. Consensus 1st Team All American. Academic All American. Butkus finalist. College Football Hall of Fame. Only Hawkeye to lead the team in tackles all 4 years. If you enjoyed Rob Houghtlin's winning FG vs. #2 Michigan in 1985, it wouldn't have happened if Station didn't drop Jamie Morris for a loss on 3rd and 2 forcing them to punt.

Last edited:
Reactions: chodehawk
Reggie Roby

Only Reggie could get 60,000 fans to stand up and cheer a 4th and long punting situation. Reggie, Reggie, Reggie

It was also pretty cool that he wore a watch when he played.

Reactions: SoFla-Hawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT