ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking Iowa Roster

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
After 14 games this is my assessment of the team in order of contribution.

1. Ke. Murray - goes without saying, best player by a large margin
2. Toussaint - gives 110% on offense and defense, needs to play more minutes
3. Rebraca - close call here but he seems to be getting better, need his rebounding
4. Bohannon - always clutch late, free throw shooting is impressive, playing better defense but still a liability
5. Perkins - plays great defense, always brings top effort and shooting is much improved
---------------------------------

This would be my starting five

6. P. McCaffrey - he could be sooo much better, needs to let the game come to him, needs to stop force runners, hit the boards for cryin-out-loud, you are 6' 9" with great length, hit the boards. Watch old tape of White, got a lot of easy garbage baskets by being in the paint
7. Ulis is a very good penetrator and another stellar defender. Solid at the line, needs to keep working on his three point shooting
8. Kr. Murray - has many of his brother's skills, needs more minutes, good from the arc
-----------------------------------
This would be my eight man rotation

9/10. Sanfort/ Mulvey are not there against BIG competition, a few minutes with Keagan in there
11. Ogundele - hurt
12. Ash - no meaningful minutes, disappointing Fran could not find someone in the portal to contribute. Understand his loyalty to the young man but after losing four starters to the portal,Fran should have tried harder.

Just my two cents

I’m not sure it’s as cut-and-dry as ranking the players 1-x since they all play different roles on the team. But here’s my starting lineup:

1. Toussaint
2. Perkins
3. Pat
4. Keegan
5. Rebraca

First man off the bench: Kris for Pat
Second off the bench: Ulis for Toussaint (though this could change depending on which Toussaint shows up)
Third off the bench: Bohannon for Perkins
Fourth off the bench: Connor - slide Keegan and Kris to the 4/5
Spot minutes: Sandfort - while Keegan gets a breather - Rebraca comes back in as well

Sports Reference. Conference PER
Keegan 39.9. ELITE

Perk 23.9. GOOD
ulis 21.2
JoeT. 20.9
Josh O. 19.7

Payton. 14.4. AVG
Kris. 13.9
PMac. 13.2
Filip. 12.2

jobo. 4.5 BAD

CMac. 0.6 UNPLAYABLE

so Good at feeding the post I expect Detroit will draft him in early rounds
Last night at least for the 9 guys who played( not counting Sandfort who played about a minute). There were 3 guys who played well-Keegan, Rebraca and Joe T. 3 that played Ok- Perkins, Ulis, and Connor, and 3 guys that were below their normal- JBo, Pat, and Kris. I don’t see the love for Kris over Pat; for the season as a whole, Pat has done more

Reactions: chuck285 and KcTo
No love for Connor?

danny-de-vito-no.gif

Last night at least for the 9 guys who played( not counting Sandfort who played about a minute). There were 3 guys who played well-Keegan, Rebraca and Joe T. 3 that played Ok- Perkins, Ulis, and Connor, and 3 guys that were below their normal- JBo, Pat, and Kris. I don’t see the love for Kris over Pat; for the season as a whole, Pat has done more
Kris v PMac (”PMac has done more”)

Kris > at rebounding, steals, blocks, assists, A/To ratio, and True shooting %,
Kris > at literally everything but points scored

Reactions: RocknRollface
1.Keegan
2. Kris
3. Perkins
4. Ulis/Toussaint
6. Rebraca
7. Sandfort (would probably move up with more pt)
8. Patrick
9. JBO
10. Connor

Reactions: Bro D
Kris v PMac (”PMac has done more”)

Kris > at rebounding, steals, blocks, assists, A/To ratio, and True shooting %,
Kris > at literally everything but points scored
Right now Frans handling of Kris is coaching malpractice.

Its almost like he wants to save him for next year or something.

Right now Frans handling of Kris is coaching malpractice.

Its almost like he wants to save him for next year or something.
Well, it worked last year when Fran started ConMac, Cj, JoBo ahead of Keegan it literally every game …

Why not try benching your and 2nd best player again…?

Last few games Kris has struggled. No secret I’ve been defending him all over, and he’s my favorite player on the squad because he’s a lefty and is supremely underutilized, but I think he’s lost some confidence and has struggled lately. If we are ranking in order of contribution to our squad and not raw skill/talent:

My starting 5:

1- Joe T
2- Perkins
3- Kris
4- Keegan
5- Rebraca

6- Jordan
7- Pmac

8- Ulis
9- Ogundele when he’s healthy
10/11 - Connor/Sanfort

This starting 5 is athletic, we have shooters in K n K, and it’s defensively our best line up if we stay out of foul trouble. Best rebounding lineup also.

Jordan coming off bench as the 6th man he could catch a lot of teams sleeping and we could come right out and run him off some screens with fresh legs and hit an open 3 to get him going almost every game. He’d be up for 6th man of the year in the B1G. PMac is a scorer. He gets it done. He’s long and he loves to run he’s a great addition to have on the floor with the other teams lineup partially worn down.

From there Ulis is without question going to get his minutes and deservedly so. He’s a good PG and has provided a lot both ways for our team. He doesn’t have a 3 point stroke confidently developed yet though, or lack of willingness maybe. Ugundele will be our best rebounder if he’s allowed minutes and stays healthy. He get absorb and dish out physical punishment And moves well for his size. He’s also got an arsenal of low post moves he has yet to show off with limited minutes. Payton’s a reliable shooter, and he’s active off the ball and likes to run as well. Against western Illinois he got 5 rebounds as well and played pretty dang well. Connor is like everyone has stated, a facilitator, a captain, a leader and he’s a dog. But he’s not going to score, and he’s physically ailing from a number of injuries, clearly detectable if you watch him move.

I guess I can dream. Fran will never play Kris ahead of Pmac, and Perkins will always be playing behind Jbo. Unfortunately the only thing that could happen to make my ideal lineup occur is injuries and I’d never want that.

Iowa has the single best player on the court every game. Problem they run into is the next 4 best players are usually on the opposing team.

Reactions: SB_SB
Joe T could really be a weapon. His problem is consistency. Some nights he shouldn’t out there long. If he could only tighten that up.

3. Rebraca - close call here but he seems to be getting better, need his rebounding
4. Bohannon - always clutch late, free throw shooting is impressive, playing better defense but still a liability
5. Perkins - plays great defense, always brings top effort and shooting is much improved

6. P. McCaffrey - he could be sooo much better, needs to let the game come to him, needs to stop force runners, hit the boards for cryin-out-loud, you are 6' 9" with great length, hit the boards. Watch old tape of White, got a lot of easy garbage baskets by being in the paint
7. Ulis is a very good penetrator and another stellar defender. Solid at the line, needs to keep working on his three point shooting
8. Kr. Murray - has many of his brother's skills, needs more minutes, good from the arc

9/10. Sanfort/ Mulvey are not there against BIG competition, a few minutes with Keagan in there
11. Ogundele - hurt
12. Ash - no meaningful minutes, disappointing Fran could not find someone in the portal to contribute. Understand his loyalty to the young man but after losing four starters to the portal,Fran should have tried harder.

Just my two cents
Those are exactly my sentiments on Patrick as well. He should be able to get 5 or 6 rebounds a game. And he needs to learn to better move without the ball. He should be cutting to the basket, getting put backs, and trying to post up the smaller 3s. He just floats around out there and I feel has the ability to be so much more. If he would just focus on his strengths instead of the garbage he could be fantastic.

Who would you prefer for rebounding? Who would you prefer to shoot 3’s? Who do you prefer for playing D? I would pick Kris for each of those questions.

I am kind of puzzled by Sandfort. He looked to be heavy in the rotation at the start of the year and I thought he generally played pretty well for a FR. Surprised he has been limited in minutes as much as they have with him.

Reactions: SB_SB

11. Ogundele - hurt

Just my two cents

This is pretty good IMO.

I like Joe, but if he is the 2nd biggest contributor on a team then the team isn't very good. Keegan puts up 35 points (out of 80) and they win in a close game against MD?

I'd sure like to see the team that scored 70 against Purdue WITHOUT Keegan.

BTW, did they have to paint the rims at Carver after Monday's game? Lots of bricks ....

I am kind of puzzled by Sandfort. He looked to be heavy in the rotation at the start of the year and I thought he generally played pretty well for a FR. Surprised he has been limited in minutes as much as they have with him.
I agree. But, if the team is scoring well I'm ok with him in limited minutes. But against MD, the only guy we had scoring was KM. Could have used a little more of Payton IMO.

Those are exactly my sentiments on Patrick as well. He should be able to get 5 or 6 rebounds a game. And he needs to learn to better move without the ball. He should be cutting to the basket, getting put backs, and trying to post up the smaller 3s. He just floats around out there and I feel has the ability to be so much more. If he would just focus on his strengths instead of the garbage he could be fantastic.
Patrick has all of the athletic tools to be great but he doesn't do all of the things that you need out of the 3 position.

Reactions: KcTo
Patrick has all of the athletic tools to be great but he doesn't do all of the things that you need out of the 3 position.
He plays like a frightened 14 year old too often.

Seems like he could be really good but his dunk attempt was weak as was his little jump hook, last FGA vs. Maryland?

Watch him closely sometime. He runs around like a teenager and needs his head in the game.

on Defense, when the ball goes inside, he normally stands and watches, gets himself in position for the break.

like some middle school kid that doesn’t understand winning is about ball hawking the ball in the paint, defending the paint, nope, stands and watches, maybe gets ready for the run out

conversely JoeT , perk, Ulis, even jobo all sink in and look for the dig

it makes me wanna puke to watch players on the court watch and stand around while others play D.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
I haven't been able to watch much this year. But I have to say that I've been disappointed with Patrick from what I've seen. It seems like he's just wasting his talent and physical abilities by forcing it all of the time when he has the ball. If Patrick would just be a junk man, rebounding and put-backs on offense, with an occasional pick and pop 3, he might have a higher scoring average.

He plays like that one guy you'd see at the fieldhouse on Thursday nights that played high school ball and had some talent, but would always try to do everything himself and throw up a bunch of junk shots (no particular names, there was always at least one guy like that every school year). A real fieldhouse legend like Darryl Moore knew he wasn't the best player on the court and played a team game giving max effort when he was in but knew when to keep the ball moving.

I assume those numbers don't account for minutes played. It might be harder to average a higher number due to position or playing time....wondering.....
Sports Reference. Conference PER
Keegan 39.9. ELITE

Perk 23.9. GOOD
ulis 21.2
JoeT. 20.9
Josh O. 19.7

Payton. 14.4. AVG
Kris. 13.9
PMac. 13.2
Filip. 12.2

jobo. 4.5 BAD

CMac. 0.6 UNPLAYABLE

I assume those numbers don't account for minutes played. It might be harder to average a higher number due to position or playing time....wondering.....
PER is an efficiency value, not a ‘counting number‘, so it’s an attempt at measuring your overall contribution, normalized to remove the minutes played.

According to EvanMiya analytics (from an article by Sean Bock, CBS Sports, on 1/4), Iowa's best line-up that's played at least 20 possessions together is Keegan, JBo, Filip, Joe and........Connor. I must admit at times I question Connor's minutes and contributions, but I shouldn't. Fran's taken four different universities to the NCAA tournament (that's really remarkable) and has a winning record in the Big during his tenure (a damn tough conference). Of course we'd all like to see more success in the NCAA tourney, but I think that may be coming...and I'm sure it's much harder than it looks. No coach is perfect, but there's no doubt in my mind Fran passionately wants to win and won't let family interfere with that. I think we saw that in recent games when both Patrick and Connor sat during crunch time. There are so many ways a player can positively impact a game without scoring or even stuffing the stat sheet, and Connor seems to do so.

According to EvanMiya analytics (from an article by Sean Bock, CBS Sports, on 1/4), Iowa's best line-up that's played at least 20 possessions together is Keegan, JBo, Filip, Joe and........Connor. I must admit at times I question Connor's minutes and contributions, but I shouldn't. Fran's taken four different universities to the NCAA tournament (that's really remarkable) and has a winning record in the Big during his tenure (a damn tough conference). Of course we'd all like to see more success in the NCAA tourney, but I think that may be coming...and I'm sure it's much harder than it looks. No coach is perfect, but there's no doubt in my mind Fran passionately wants to win and won't let family interfere with that. I think we saw that in recent games when both Patrick and Connor sat during crunch time. There are so many ways a player can positively impact a game without scoring or even stuffing the stat sheet, and Connor seems to do so.
This stat was blown up in another thread. Not going through it but it was thoroughly destroyed.

Reactions: RocknRollface
This stat was blown up in another thread. Not going through it but it was thoroughly destroyed.
Which thread? Seriously. I'd like to read about where EvanMiya is wrong. Perhaps EvanMiya isn't accurate; I don't know. But that doesn't change Fran's success at four different schools and in the Big Ten. People claiming he's the "worst coach" in the Big Ten just don't have a grasp on reality.

Which thread? Seriously. I'd like to read about where EvanMiya is wrong. Perhaps EvanMiya isn't accurate; I don't know. But that doesn't change Fran's success at four different schools and in the Big Ten. People claiming he's the "worst coach" in the Big Ten just don't have a grasp on reality.

This one: https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/fran.380227/

Original post:
Analytics are very helpful in evaluating a team and its players.
According to EvanMiya.com, Iowa's best five-man lineup that has played at least 20 possessions with each other is Murray, Connor, JBO, Rebraca and Joe T.
The most efficient four-man lineup with at least 40 possessions played together is Connor, Murray, Rebraca, and Toussaint.

This analyst sees it the way I do. Go argue with him I guess.

Responses below:
I looked. There are only 5 possible combinations with 20 possessions and 4 of those had Connor on them. Just by random chance he had a 80% chance of making the best lineup. The 4 and 5 man lineups most people are clamoring for don’t show up because Fran has refused to play them for many possessions.

In fact, Conner showed up in the bottom 3 5-man lineups and 7 of the bottom 10 4-man lineups according to your criteria…

11. Ogundele - hurt

Just my two cents
Can’t keep getting butchered on the boards. Need to get JO or Mulvey more minutes and see if they can help. It can’t get worse. And I’m not talking about a couple of garbage minutes at the end. These aren’t going to develop getting splinters in their butts.

ADVERTISEMENT