ADVERTISEMENT

Rathbun

Jaybird319

HR MVP
Dec 23, 2014
Word on the street is....he is contacting Iowa D3s.

Brands will not give a release to ISU or UNI

Wasn't he looking at GCU and D3s before?

Still, I don't agree with holding him up, if true.

Reactions: Wink8
I don't think it's true. They have always released and why would they hold his release?

I don't think it's true. They have always released and why would they hold his release?
It is obligatory to accuse the coach of not releasing a kid on this forum. Every transfer starts with the rumor that he will not be released and then people pile on the coach for not releasing him. After the coach releases him, we just drive away like nothing ever happened. Relax and enjoy the uproar.

ISU does not release to Iowa, not sure about UNI. I have no problem not releasing to in state D1 schools.

fransfer to ISU or UNI doesn't make much sense to me. He wouldn't find a starting spot in those lineups either.9

For multiple reasons.

1. I hate to lose a kid, I think Rathbun has potential.

2. If Iowa is withholding a release, I have a real problem with that.

3. We're back on the "release" discussion now, which was so much fun last time.

If Rathbun is a starter going forward it would be quite surprising and he will have taken a quantum leap forward. After that...no one here knows.

Or is the joke that the original poster is calling ISU and UNI division 3 schools...as a knock?

I understand the logic in not granting a release to go to a competitive rival of a kid who would be the starter or have a good chance to be the starter at both schools. Often times that is another in State DI, such as Illinois and Northwestern or Indiana and Purdue. Those schools are relatively equals. The question I have is: Does Iowa consider themselves to be equals with UNI or ISU? Personally, I don't think they are anywhere near Iowa's level. As a result, I would grant the release for kids who wanted to leave for a better chance to start.

The primary reason in my opinion is that it helps tremendously in the recruiting process of fringe talent in State prospects. Telling a kid who is a one time champ and maybe a top 70-100 recruit that they can come to Iowa and compete for a spot. If things work out and the kid is a starter and an All American, great. If he gets beat out as a RS Junior, by a RS Freshmen top recruit, then he can transfer to UNI or ISU and get a shot to compete on the biggest stage and accept any potential scholarship dollars that may be available.

I think not granting releases to kids who are not going to be starters does a lot more harm than good. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Has he requested a release? From what I've heard he's only been looking at DIII and no release is needed for that... so the comment could be true that he has not been released to any DI school, but that doesn't mean he's been denied a release, maybe he doesn't need one nor has requested one... let's find out the facts before jumping to conclusions...

Has he requested a release? From what I've heard he's only been looking at DIII and no release is needed for that... so the comment could be true that he has not been released to any DI school, but that doesn't mean he's been denied a release, maybe he doesn't need one nor has requested one... let's find out the facts before jumping to conclusions...
Tweet is pretty clear.

It has to tough for an in state kid to not get a release if they are wishing to stay in state. There isnt alot of money to give kids for wrestling so getting in state tuition can help ease some of the financial burden for the family.

I'll believe it when Tom Barnds says something about it. If you take the tweet of any 20 yo on twitter as fact, you are pretty naive.

Reactions: Mattski
I get ISU. Huge instate rival that's annual on Iowa's schedule and a program with the resources to contend. I don't get UNI.

I also think a lot of people backed themselves into a corner being critical of other coaches recently and over the years and it is funny to watch their reactions now. To their credit, they are sticking to their guns.

I get ISU. Huge instate rival that's annual on Iowa's schedule and a program with the resources to contend. I don't get UNI.

I also think a lot of people backed themselves into a corner being critical of other coaches recently and over the years and it is funny to watch their reactions now. To their credit, they are sticking to their guns.
They are sticking to their guns. Maybe now we can stop trashing other coaches in similar situations. Don't know what is true here, but best of luck to the kid. I am glad he is still chasing the dream. Good for him.

Other coaches on here have been called out by many people for not releasing stars like Suriano and Lugo which I understand but to not release a backup who will never start for you is being petty

I have no issues with placing limits on transfers. If the kids a starter the limits are higher if he's a potential starter but current back up is less and a full time back up or room guy its even less.

Sure ISU has not been competitive for a while but if there are no rules on transfers how quickly could that change.

Grant the release. The Iowa program traditionally has done that. It is the right thing to do.

I thought the common thing for Iowa was not to release to the in state schools or anyone on the schedule for following season? I was thinking football did this for as many seasons as they had scheduled and wrestling just for the following season.

And we talked about this scenario if Tom did the same thing...and most said to release the kid...even if it's a Kemerer type. What's good for the Goose and all that. Iowa isn't above getting criticized in these matters.

ADVERTISEMENT