ADVERTISEMENT

Ratio of Iowa to Iowa State fans?

UNIowaHawk

HR Legend
Jul 22, 2011
All this talk about Iowa State possibly to Big Ten (mostly clickbait and Iowa State fans hoping) has lead to some discussion of what Iowa State could possibly add to the Big Ten. Clearly they don’t have national recognition but they really don’t have much recognition in Iowa either. From what I’ve seen it’s a about 75% Hawkeyes and 15% Cyclones (10% other) so the ratio is about 5:1 Hawkeyes.

When comparing just Iowa to Iowa State, Eastern Iowa is probably 8:1 Hawkeyes. Around Des Moines it looked to be closer, but still 3:1/3:2 Hawkeyes. Northwest Iowa is strong Hawkeyes probably about 5:1. I haven’t spent much time in Council Tucky, but I did date a girl from Neola and her family is split and when I went to get gas near there the gas station was mostly Hawkeye gear and just a few trinkets for Iowa State.

Last edited:
Reactions: bojihawk
All this talk about Iowa State possibly to Big Ten (mostly clickbait and Iowa State fans hoping) has lead to some discussion of what Iowa State could possibly add to the Big Ten. Clearly they don’t have national recognition but they really don’t have much recognition in Iowa either. From what I’ve seen it’s a about 75% Hawkeyes and 15% Cyclones (10% other) so the ration is about 5:1 Hawkeyes.

When comparing just Iowa to Iowa State, Eastern Iowa is probably 8:1 Hawkeyes. Around Des Moines it looked to be closer, but still 3:1/3:2 Hawkeyes. Northwest Iowa is strong Hawkeyes probably about 5:1. I haven’t spent much time in Council Tucky, but I did date a girl from Neola and her family is split and when I went to get gas near there the gas station was mostly Hawkeye gear and just a few trinkets for Iowa State.

Man. Talk about trolling for trolls. Pollard's Chimp will be here soon to convert you.

Long time Hawkeye fan and alumni here who was a HS teacher for decades in eastern Iowa. Pretty healthy support for both Iowa and ISU in the community I taught with many of them fans of both schools when they weren't playing each other.

Just my opinion, I believe Iowa has many more fans/alums across the nation but within Iowa it's maybe 55/45% Hawks with the western 2/3rds (rural and spread out) of the state pretty strong ISU territory.

Long time Hawkeye fan and alumni here who was a HS teacher for decades in eastern Iowa. Pretty healthy support for both Iowa and ISU in the community I taught with many of them fans of both schools when they weren't playing each other.

Just my opinion, I believe Iowa has many more fans/alums across the nation but within Iowa it's maybe 55/45% Hawks with the western 2/3rds (rural and spread out) of the state pretty strong ISU territory.
There might not be 2-3 countries where ISU has an advantage in fandom. I live 20 miles from Ames, and I’m not sure ISU has more fans here?

All this talk about Iowa State possibly to Big Ten (mostly clickbait and Iowa State fans hoping) has lead to some discussion of what Iowa State could possibly add to the Big Ten. Clearly they don’t have national recognition but they really don’t have much recognition in Iowa either. From what I’ve seen it’s a about 75% Hawkeyes and 15% Cyclones (10% other) so the ration is about 5:1 Hawkeyes.

Your numbers are off considerably in the Des Moines area. Closer to 50/50 for sure.

There was a poll/survey a few years ago. IIRC it was about 3-1 Iowa in Eastern Iowa, 4-3 ISU in Central Iowa. But I didn't save the info and it's been a while.

I have cited a 1977 Iowa Poll before. It showed an ISU advantage statewide but that's long ago and certainly irrelevant. Also, it was specific football on the eve of the series resumption. The question was something like "Which team do you want to win?"

Not sure the method used is the best, but it ties into the Hawkeyes dominating the eastern half and Northwest of the state. Iowa Hawkeyes also appear to hold an advantage in the central, albeit smaller. I was surprised to see how much of an advantage they hold over Iowa State in the South too. By my rough count it appeared Iowa State held an advantage over Iowa in just 6 counties.

The wife and I have been together since 2009 and we travel often. Since day one, she's commented on how we see IOWA fans everywhere we go. It's become a bit of a game, who can spot the first IOWA shirt, hat, bumper sticker or decal. Last time in Mexico we got the room, grabbed the swim stuff and headed down to the beach. In the elevator she said "How long 'til we see some Hawkeyes?" The door opened on the ground floor and there were two couples, all with IOWA shirts right in front of us. Stuff like this happens all the time.

Seattle, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Nashville, Phoenix, Charleston SC, Mexico, you name it...Hawkeye fans are everywhere. Not so much, with clones.

Last edited:
Growing up in NW Iowa I didn't know ISU fans existed. They were as rare as Bigfoot. I also thought Iowa State was a directional school that Iowa used as a warm up for the Big Ten conference games. That was in the midst of 16 straight and Iowa and Nebraska would both regularly destroy ISU.

svlke9a6ole71.png

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Not sure the method used is the best, but it ties into the Hawkeyes dominating the eastern half and Northwest of the state. Iowa Hawkeyes also appear to hold an advantage in the central, albeit smaller. I was surprised to see how much of an advantage they hold over Iowa State in the South too. By my rough count it appeared Iowa State held an advantage over Iowa in just 6 counties.
It supports the NCAA data that tavern hawks and alum support and contribute to the Hawkeyes, 2-1 over the school out west alum only. School out west needs to work on their couch clones to contribute to get off of the bottom of all the B12 schools ranking.

The wife and I have been together since 2009 and we travel often. Since day one, she's commented on how we see IOWA fans everywhere we go. It's become a bit of a game, who can spot the first IOWA shirt, hat, bumper sticker or decal. Last time in Mexico we got the room, grabbed the swim stuff and headed down to the beach. In the elevator she said "How long 'til we see some Hawkeyes?" The door opened at the ground floor and there were two couples, all with IOWA shirts right in front of us. Stuff like this happens all the time.

Seattle, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Nashville, Phoenix, Charleston SC, Mexico, you name it...Hawkeye fans are everywhere. Not so, with clones.
Likewise, we see Hawk merch everywhere we travel. I don't think I've ever seen an ISU item anywhere I've traveled except KC.

Is Kansas really all Kansas State? I thought for sure it would be flipped.
Flipped to who? Kansas football is pathetic. We hear about how KU would bring the KC TV market to the B1G. Only for basketball. During football season the sets are tuned to K State, Mizzou, Nebraska, even IOWA more so than Kansas.

The wife and I have been together since 2009 and we travel often. Since day one, she's commented on how we see IOWA fans everywhere we go. It's become a bit of a game, who can spot the first IOWA shirt, hat, bumper sticker or decal. Last time in Mexico we got the room, grabbed the swim stuff and headed down to the beach. In the elevator she said "How long 'til we see some Hawkeyes?" The door opened on the ground floor and there were two couples, all with IOWA shirts right in front of us. Stuff like this happens all the time.

Seattle, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Nashville, Phoenix, Charleston SC, Mexico, you name it...Hawkeye fans are everywhere. Not so, with clones.
We were in Colorado and I was surprised at how many Iowa State vanity plates I saw there. I saw far more Iowa fans than Iowa State, but plate wise we saw 5 or 6 Iowa State vanity plates and only a couple Iowa ones. But again, I saw a couple Iowa State hats/shirts, but far more Iowa.

The writeup below points out its only for college football.
I get it, but I would still think the maps would be similar across all sports. I can't imagine there are many Kansas fans for basketball and Kansas State for football. The Iowa map is the school itself-- the map wouldn't look different depending on sport.

Probably 60/40 but definitely more Iowa nationwide.

Eastern Iowa something like 80/20. Des Moines metro plus Ames is 50/50. Western Iowa is probably 40/40/20 (Nebraska).

ISU support has definitely picked up in central Iowa IMO.

Of course if they get relegated to a lesser conference, I expect it to turn back to UI.

Reactions: bowlhawk
I get it, but I would still think the maps would be similar across all sports. I can't imagine there are many Kansas fans for basketball and Kansas State for football. The Iowa map is the school itself-- the map wouldn't look different depending on sport.
Depends on the school and region. I know people in KC who openly admit they're KU fans for basketball but KState or Nebraska fans when football season rolls around. School loyalty in IOWA (and most other places) is more stable, as you suggested.

Probably 60/40 but definitely more Iowa nationwide.

Eastern Iowa something like 80/20. Des Moines metro plus Ames is 50/50. Western Iowa is probably 40/40/20 (Nebraska).

ISU support has definitely picked up in central Iowa IMO.

Of course if they get relegated to a lesser conference, I expect it to turn back to UI.
ISU support has grown, Pollard put lots of money into promotion to do just that. As soon as that money slows, so will the growth.
IOWA's growth (and long term loyalty) is more organic and sustainable.

It's based off social media input. KU fan's probably aren't tweeting/posting much at all about KU football in the fall/winter. It doesn't mean there are KU fans switching, just that they're quiet or apathetic.

Iowa State is growing but Iowa dominates the fans that never went to college and enjoy following the team that wins more.

the first Fry Rose Bowl captured the hearts and minds.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
ISU support has grown, Pollard put lots of money into promotion to do just that. As soon as that money slows, so will the growth.
IOWA's growth (and long term loyalty) is more organic and sustainable.
It’s not so much that there’s more of them, it’s that they have a disproportionate level of pride, and they all wear a t-shirt with the football schedule on the back 7 1/2 days a week.

To put it simply, their numbers haven’t gone up significantly, but their visibility sure has.

It’s not so much that there’s more of them, it’s that they have a disproportionate level of pride, and they all wear a t-shirt with the football schedule on the back 7 1/2 days a week.

To put it simply, their numbers haven’t gone up significantly, but their visibility sure has.
Living in Alabama the exact same thing can be said about Auburn. I see a lot more Auburn memorabilia in suburban Birmingham than I do Alabama (nearly 2-to-1) but it doesn't necessarily mean that there are more Auburn fans, it just means that I think Auburn fans just have more pride in the area. Realistically, the split is probably closer to 60/40 in favor of Bama when looking at the bigger picture. In other words, more Auburn fans than Bama fans would like to admit, but fewer than Auburn would like to admit. There's sort of some unwritten assumption that if you don't have immediate ties to either school, that you're far more likely to pull for Bama. Auburn fans generally either went to the school, or have immediate family members who did.

Iowa State only allows people to be fans if they have graduated from the university. That is per their snobbish fan base who look down upon 2 year tech school graduates.
I think they claim anyone who enrolled at isu as a true isu fan. Outside of their water, enrollment is their shining star.

There was a poll/survey a few years ago. IIRC it was about 3-1 Iowa in Eastern Iowa, 4-3 ISU in Central Iowa. But I didn't save the info and it's been a while.

I have cited a 1977 Iowa Poll before. It showed an ISU advantage statewide but that's long ago and certainly irrelevant. Also, it was specific football on the eve of the series resumption. The question was something like "Which team do you want to win?"
There are probably more Nebraska fans in western Iowa than isu fans. Curious what that poll had. I wonder if Iowa State gets left out of a power conference if that affects polls like this.

Reactions: mikesright
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT