ADVERTISEMENT

RB depth chart for next year

Bryzzo

Team MVP
Aug 31, 2016
Would have been nice to get Eli Sanders, but I'm very optimistic about the RB depth next year:

1. Tyler Goodson - Poised to be one of the very few Hawk RB ever to earn back to back 1st team All Big 10 selections. Could very easily clear 1,500 yards in a full 13 game season that includes a Bowl game

2. Ivory Kelly Martin
3. Gavin Williams
4. LeShon Williams
5. Arland Bruce - will be listed as a WR, but proved to be a very capable RB during his senior year at Ankeny. The kid has the ability to make defenders miss no matter how he is used in the offense.

With the offensive line that the Hawks will be returning, Iowa should be able to average 175 yards or more on the ground per game next year.

We are an injury to Goodson away from the stable being a guy hauling ass to recover from an ACL and Freshmen. There is plenty to be excited about in 2021 but running back depth isn't it.

Reactions: CarterHall
Would have been nice to get Eli Sanders, but I'm very optimistic about the RB depth next year:

1. Tyler Goodson - Poised to be one of the very few Hawk RB ever to earn back to back 1st team All Big 10 selections. Could very easily clear 1,500 yards in a full 13 game season that includes a Bowl game

2. Ivory Kelly Martin
3. Gavin Williams
4. LeShon Williams
5. Arland Bruce - will be listed as a WR, but proved to be a very capable RB during his senior year at Ankeny. The kid has the ability to make defenders miss no matter how he is used in the offense.

With the offensive line that the Hawks will be returning, Iowa should be able to average 175 yards or more on the ground per game next year.

I really like your depth chart, I just hope IKM can stay healthy for the season. Also think Gavin Williams will get his share of carries this fall.

2. Ivory Kelly Martin
3. Gavin Williams
4. LeShon Williams

G Williams will be #2.
Bruce won’t be a RB.

We are an injury to Goodson away from the stable being a guy hauling ass to recover from an ACL and Freshmen. There is plenty to be excited about in 2021 but running back depth isn't it.

I disagree with you but that's fine - everyone is entitled to an opinion :)

I happen to think the RB's as a whole will be fine.

The only area where I see concerns depth wise is the Defensive Line. If the Hawks are able to reel in another 1 or 2 Grad Transfer Defensive lineman, they should be fine.

I am very excited to see what kind of impact K. Johnson and L. Lachey have in the offense next year too.

2. Ivory Kelly Martin
3. Gavin Williams
4. LeShon Williams

My gut feeling is IKM will never be the #2 guy. Recovering from ACL surgery now, and is just one of those snake bit guys that can't stay off the injury report. Its the Goodson and Wiliiams'sss show.......

Reactions: David1979
My gut feeling is IKM will never be the #2 guy. Recovering from ACL surgery now, and is just one of those snake bit guys that can't stay off the injury report. Its the Goodson and Wiliiams'sss show.......

IKM could still play a big role in special teams as well as one of the primary Kickoff return guys and continuing to be on the punt coverage team (a role that both he and Terry Roberts excelled in this past year).

Never can predict how the recovery of an injury will go, but he can still carve out a very productive role on next year's squad.

Reactions: easy2
Iowa has proven they can recruit sufficient RB talent to be successful. Guys like Wadley and Goodson are clearly special talents, but Sargent was a really good player who came in without much in the ratings fanfare. I do not undervalue the RB role, but view it as more of a commodity position given how much talent is out there that gets overlooked in the recruiting process. Using a basketball analogy, look at Keegan Murray.

We need and will get at least one RB for this Fall. See PSU's stable of RB's this past season and Iowa's during 2004.

2. Ivory Kelly Martin
3. Gavin Williams
4. LeShon Williams

2004 doesn’t care about your depth

My goodness there are a lot of debbue downers on here.

I'll focus on the positive.

Goodson has proved to be pretty durable so far, and like I said in my original post- has a shot to be a ba

Goodson has proved to be pretty durable so far, and like I said in my original post- has a shot to be a back to back 1st team all big 10 running back...name me the last rb to do that at Iowa??? Ronnie Harmon maybe?

Goodson has proved to be pretty durable so far, and like I said in my original post- has a shot to be a back to back 1st team all big 10 running back...name me the last rb to do that at Iowa??? Ronnie Harmon maybe?
Part of the reason he has been durable is because his workload has been limited due to having quality depth guys like Sargent

Iowa has proven they can recruit sufficient RB talent to be successful. Guys like Wadley and Goodson are clearly special talents, but Sargent was a really good player who came in without much in the ratings fanfare. I do not undervalue the RB role, but view it as more of a commodity position given how much talent is out there that gets overlooked in the recruiting process. Using a basketball analogy, look at Keegan Murray.
Good point. Running backs (particularly at college level) are more of a ‘plug and play’ position assuming you have a good o-line.

I don’t know I’d they have proven that. They usually don’t have top end RBs

Reactions: not_mantiteo

Yeah he has a great shot to be on an all conference team again and could have a huge year. Best RB since Wegher.

Use the portal. Ignoring the portal is like relying 100% on the draft in the nfl.

Use portal for a insurance policy at the position. THEN, recruit your 2022 running back with the sales pitch that the running back room is thin and there's a great chance for early playing time. Big time recruits want to play right away these days.

Williams for Louisiana, while his highlight tape doesn't WOW you, he does pull away from guys and doesn't get caught from behind. He has an Army offer too so they know a thing or two about running the ball. Someone posted he ran a 48 second 400 meter which anything sub 50 seconds is pretty impressive. He catches out of backfield and is a very willing blocker. Maybe a FB recruit if RB room is crowded?

Has Hunter decided or the other RB recruit from the NE? Name escapes me right now..

Reactions: Simbahawk4
Don't you dare!! :oops: :)
This whole thread is tempting fate if you ask me. I didn't Out and out say it with my original post but any Iowa fan should know it doesn't matter if we have 4 proven Doak Walker winners, you dont talk about the running back room being in good shape.

P.S. I hope you didn't have to kidnap anyone to get your bonus this year. ;)

Reactions: Rustys Dad
[QUOTE="Whiskeydeltadeltatango, post: 8560090, member: 103898"
P.S. I hope you didn't have to kidnap anyone to get your bonus this year. ;)
[/QUOTE]
No jelly for me this year ... The pool is in and life is good ... ;)

See what you did there. Clever.

G Williams will be #2.
Bruce won’t be a RB.
Bruce would be a great back. I know he doesn’t seem to want to play RB in college, but I really would like to use him in the slot, a 3rd down back and somebody to do the Wild Cat after TGood is gone. Guys like Bruce are simply guys we need to figure out how to get the ball to. Get him touches in space as much as he can handle.
Imagine Arland in a Roger Craig role/Marshall Faulk role in an offense...

I think BF will eventually figure out what to do with him and how to use him.

I have a feeling Bruce will be used primarily in quick bubbles and jet sweeps his first year

I think BF will eventually figure out what to do with him and how to use him.
Iffy but I'm hopeful.
tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT