ADVERTISEMENT

RB depth

ichawk24

HB Legend
Nov 21, 2005
Looks like Daniels will likely miss the Pitt game. Canzeri can't be the only RB this week. Wadley was the only other RB to make the trip to Ames, so it looks like he'll be the first RB off the bench.
Mitchell is awol or something. Joly?

What we thought was a deep position is looking shallow for this week. Neither guy is the bruiser that Kirk prefers and Narduzzi will be bringing the wood.

Canzeri said after the ISU game that he thought Daniels would be able to play this week.

Gazette reported Daniels/Canzeri/Wadley were the ones to travel.

Kirk made Daniels' return this week sound doubtful. We will see. Hopefully he is playing coy.

Just curious, what makes you think Mitchell got sent home?

There was an irresponsible thread going around claiming Mitchell did something bad. It hasn't been proven so thread was deleted and for goor reason. However, one poster (can't remember who) said Mitchel was driven back to IC on Friday night by one of the staff. What that means is anybody's guess and that is if it is true at all.

I would expect to see Canzeri, Wadley and Parker this week. If parker can throw at all the Fly Sweep pass would be a home run hitter. Kirk seems to be in River Boat Gambler mode and I'm all in. :)

There was an irresponsible thread going around claiming Mitchell did something bad. It hasn't been proven so thread was deleted and for goor reason. However, one poster (can't remember who) said Mitchel was driven back to IC on Friday night by one of the staff. What that means is anybody's guess and that is if it is true at all.

I would expect to see Canzeri, Wadley and Parker this week. If parker can throw at all the Fly Sweep pass would be a home run hitter. Kirk seems to be in River Boat Gambler mode and I'm all in. :)

Parker is a receiver now, but I agree that with the RB depth questions, he might be getting practice reps at RB again

Gazette reported Daniels/Canzeri/Wadley made the trip.

Random internet moron reports that Mitchell got driven home, post deleted, yet everyone wants to believe the BS.

Mitchell and Scheel both still injured it appears which sucks because that is two more potential offensive weapons. Need Kittle to get back to full health as well. And Duzey for that matter.

Looks like we have six running backs on the roster. This week no Daniels, no Mitchell, Wadley can't hold on to the ball, and one is a freshman being redshirted. I guess that leaves Canzeri and Joly as ready to play this week. Never fear, however, our new third team running back, Marshall Koehn, with a 12.5 yard per carry average, is waiting in the wings and chomping at the bit!

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Looks like we have six running backs on the roster. This week no Daniels, no Mitchell, Wadley can't hold on to the ball, and one is a freshman being redshirted. I guess that leaves Canzeri and Joly as ready to play this week. Never fear, however, our new third team running back, Marshall Koehn, with a 12.5 yard per carry average, is waiting in the wings and chomping at the bit!
Wadley is ready to play. He is an outstanding talent and will get past the fumbling issue.

Wadley and fumbles or plewa 3 yards and a cloud of dust? Upside means nothing when you fumble all the time

I agree with Ladellhawk. Wadley is a very good player. Don't rule him out yet. I bet he will be focused on keeping the ball tucked the rest of the way.

Wadley just needs to figure out how to hold on to the ball. He's got the rest of it down......

This... I love watching this guy run when he hangs on to the ball. Has some big play ability and was the only player to rush for over 100 yards last season until the bowl game- correct?

This... I love watching this guy run when he hangs on to the ball. Has some big play ability and was the only player to rush for over 100 yards last season until the bowl game- correct?

NO. Wesiman had a big game against Illinois. Canzeri had a great game as well. We went over 300 yards rushing in that game.

If it came down to it Wadley would play. I would just tell to have to hands on the ball anytime someone was close and no spins moves.

If it came down to it Wadley would play. I would just tell to have to hands on the ball anytime someone was close and no spins moves.
How do you tell an athlete "no spin moves". That isn't realistic for a running back.

I think Wadley still gets meaningful work vs. Pitt. Although we have seen Kirk go with one back the whole game before, I don't think Canzeri fits the bill. He's not a guy you want to have 35-40 carries. Not the least of which being that you don't want to be down Canzeri AND LD

Somebody, or somebodies, will have to share time with Canzeri Saturday. Jordan himself has said he's not comfortable being a 25-30 carry guy. A D-1 team has to have competent backups. And Canzeri did fumble vs. ISU, which I believe may have been a combination of a good hit and Jordan being tired. He had the ball tucked away pretty well, but when you're a little tired bad things can happen.

As KF likes to say, Wadley has a scholarship, too, so get him the reps this week, build his confidence, and play him Saturday. Is it a risk? Sure, but so is running 40 seconds off the clock so you can try a fake FG that requires the kicker to run about 30 yards for it to work.

The truth is that everything is a risk. Wadley is still a young guy, too young to give up on him. His teammates need him Saturday. Give him a chance to rise to the occasion.

Reactions: newleaf06
I think you have to work in a few FB plays for Cox or Plewa. Wadley does have ability, but we can not have a fumbler. If he fumbles in this game I would be surprised to see him again this year. What about Joly? Its disappointing about Mitchell. He had a lot of potential. Hopefully he can clear up whatever the problem was and come back.

Actually it is easy.
Nope. Ever play FB and/or coach?

Players don't think "oh, this guy is setting up perfect for me to spin here in a second. Oh, wait....coach said not to spin so I will put a stem move instead "

Nope. Ever play FB and/or coach?

Players don't think "oh, this guy is setting up perfect for me to spin here in a second. Oh, wait....coach said not to spin so I will put a stem move instead "

Yep pretty easy. you are wrong.

Wadley will still get reps this season. However, he'll have to earn them from what he shows through his prep through the week. My guess is that both Daniels and Canzeri will have to get "shelved" to some extent before he gets those reps - that is, unless he shows more progress on ball security, blocking, receiving out the backfield, etc. Of course, they aren't going to want Canzeri to be a 30 carry back either. So, if Daniels can't go too much against Pitt - they might give Wadley a few reps.

Given Pitt's D, I bet that the coaches are really hoping to get Daniels back online. However, if he's still a bit dinged, my guess is that they'll try to rest him more against North Texas ... and that opens up the opportunity for Wadley in that game.

FYI Ferentz said today that Joly would be the next man up and Graham isnt in the mix. Graham is practice squad today.

I think you have to work in a few FB plays for Cox or Plewa. Wadley does have ability, but we can not have a fumbler. If he fumbles in this game I would be surprised to see him again this year. What about Joly? Its disappointing about Mitchell. He had a lot of potential. Hopefully he can clear up whatever the problem was and come back.
Jamaal Charles fumbled twice tonight and cost the Chiefs a win in the process. Think he'll start next week? I do.

I'm assuming Wadley did not have the fumble issue In high school or we wouldn't have recruited him. Kid has big talent, put him back on the horse.

I'm assuming Wadley did not have the fumble issue In high school or we wouldn't have recruited him. Kid has big talent, put him back on the horse.
Wadley needs to learn to put both hands on the football when he's in traffic. Canzeri does a great job of that. He keeps it to his hip when he's open and as soon as he sees a crowd of defenders, he wraps both hands around it.

Wadley tries to do too much at times, but his running ability is legit.

Ball security is a skill that can be taught. The speed and elusiveness that Wadley possesses cannot. The staff should not give up on Wadley, but if he cannot prove (either in practice or in games) that he can be trusted with the ball in his hands, then he is not a useful player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT