ADVERTISEMENT

New Story RB Eric Graham ready to report

Apr 8, 2003
Q&A with incoming freshman Eric Graham

---

When running back Eric Graham looks back at signing day, sometimes it is still hard to believe how it all happened. The 5-foot-10, 199-pound Graham was still unsure where he would play college football until the Iowa Hawkeyes came through with a late scholarship offer. Now, the two-star prospect is getting ready to report to Iowa City in June to start classes and begin his career at the University of Iowa. We caught up with Graham to talk about his upcoming freshman year and much more.

Q: What have you been up to this spring? I think the last time we talked was probably around signing day.

GRAHAM: It’s been great. I’ve been doing my workouts and my nutrition plan and everything that they sent down to me. I’m getting used to the way they work out and everything like that. It’s a change, but it’s a good change and I think it’s good for me overall as in stepping up and trying to show everybody what I’ve got and proving myself in the game and in academics as well.

Q: Do you play any other sports in the spring?

GRAHAM: Yes sir, I just got done playing soccer. We got knocked out in the first round of the playoffs. This year, I played football, basketball, and soccer, but all I’m doing now is just working out.

Q: What were the Iowa workouts like when you first got into them?

GRAHAM: I was kind of rusty starting off, but my coach helped me a lot. He spotted me a lot and he knows what they do. On half of the stuff, I asked him what is this because I’d never heard of it before, but it works. The only thing about it was I started to get sore at first, but as I continued on with it I really don’t get as sore with it because it works different muscles every day. You can definitely tell it’s different from high school.

Q: Have you seen some gains since starting on it?

GRAHAM: Yeah, I have. I’ve gained strength and bulked up a lot. The way they work out, it makes you want to eat all the time. I didn’t feel like that working out in high school. I used to eat, but not like I eat now.

Q: What is your height and weight as you finish up high school?

GRAHAM: I used to weigh 190, but now I’m almost 200 pounds. I think it was 199 today, but you might as well say 200. Then my height is 5-10.

Q: You also retook the ACT after signing day. What did you hear back on your results?

GRAHAM: I had to get a higher score in science, like two or three points, and I got it. My overall score was a 15. The thing about it is I’m not a good test taker, but in the classroom I do what I’m supposed to do and I get the work done. I have a 2.97 in my core GPA.

Q: Did you get everything back from the NCAA Clearinghouse?

GRAHAM: Yeah, I got my acceptance letter and everything like that, so I’m good to go. I passed the NCAA Clearinghouse and everything like that.

Q: What was that feeling like getting that letter?

GRAHAM: It was great. It’s great to know that I’m a student-athlete at the University of Iowa now. It feels great and I’m very excited.

Q: When are you making the move up to Iowa?

GRAHAM: I’m reporting June 12 and start classes on June 15.

Q: What are you looking forward to in getting up there this summer?

GRAHAM: I just want to get better in everything. I want to meet all the players, my teammates, and just be around a great environment. I love working out, so I’m looking forward to that and just starting college. That’s something that’s a big dream and my dream came true. That’s what I always wanted to do.

Q: Have you found out what number you are wearing in college?

GRAHAM: No sir. I have not found out what number I’ll be wearing.

Q: Do you have a preference?

GRAHAM: No sir, I do not.

Q: What was your number in high school, #22?

GRAHAM: Yes sir, it was.

Q: Coming in your freshman year, what are your goals or just your mindset coming in?

GRAHAM: My goals as a freshman are to do great in school first of all because at the end of the day school is more important than football. Every coach knows that and every parent knows that. So that’s one goal I would like to achieve. Then I just want to work my butt off in the weight room and show everybody that this freshman can help us not only running the ball, but help the team overall. I just want to play a role and help my team achieve their goal and what they want to do.

Q: Which coaches do you talk with at Iowa and what has their message been to you this spring?

GRAHAM: I talk to Coach Ferentz often. He calls me from time to time to check up on me and see if I’m doing what I’m supposed to be doing as in lifting weights and my grades and everything like that. But normally I talk to my recruiter, Coach Wallace. We talk often and he’s actually supposed to be down here either this week or next week sometime and is going to come by our school.

Q: Do you ever look back on signing day and how it all came together with Iowa at the last minute?

GRAHAM: Yes sir. I was real nervous about it and then it was just all excitement. I don’t know what the future holds for me or anything like that, but I just thank God that I made it.

As a senior, Graham rushed for 1,983 yards and 27 touchdowns, earning first team all-state honors at Autauga Academy.

Reactions: 32bellyoption
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.