ADVERTISEMENT

New Story RB Kendrick Raphael decommits from Iowa

How many more decommits and transfers will it take to get those with influence to force change?
A mass exodus most likely.

Like the group with Eno Benjamin that all bolted back in like 2016/2017 or whenever it was, but triple that.

The more kids that decommit or transfer the more pressure on the AD to have to inquire as to why these kids are leaving, and they'll get the honest answer, which we all already know...........

If you are basing this off of stars, the o line is certainly there as well.
The oline is bad. We don't have quality starters, let alone quality depth. I don't see a single player in that group that you could say is performing well and yes, some of them are very young. I don't consider Plumb, DeJong, or Richman as very young as they all have at least 2 full years in the program. Colby is a true sophomore but he started every game last year. Jones is obviously new at his position. There are no guarantees as to whether they will ever be very good. That has yet to be determined.

The oline is bad. We don't have quality starters, let alone quality depth. I don't see a single player in that group that you could say is performing well and yes, some of them are very young. I don't consider Plumb, DeJong, or Richman as very young as they all have at least 2 full years in the program. Colby is a true sophomore but he started every game last year. Jones is obviously new at his position. There are no guarantees as to whether they will ever be very good. That has yet to be determined.
I’m not sure what you are basing depth at RB from given this criteria. A 5* OT and a boarder line 4* Guard coming in.development is important but I’d say depth is not the problem

We have had guys decommit before, even on Phil Parker's side of the ball. Why is it that any guy that decommits was gonna be THE GUY and the one missing piece and Heisman winner?

I’m not sure what you are basing depth at RB from given this criteria
What criteria? I see a star in the making in true freshman Johnson. The kid has good speed and balance and is tough to bring down. If Iowa can actually put an oline in front of him look out. The Williams boys look solid if not spectacular. True freshman Patterson also looks like a good hard runner who came in with an impressive offer sheet. This group looks pretty good now and in the years to come should they stay relatively healthy. That's 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores that look very capable today. That's good depth at any single position.

What criteria? I see a star in the making in true freshman Johnson. The kid has good speed and balance and is tough to bring down. If Iowa can actually put an oline in front of him look out. The Williams boys look solid if not spectacular. True freshman Patterson also looks like a good hard runner who came in with an impressive offer sheet. This group looks pretty good now and in the years to come should they stay relatively healthy. That's 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores that look very capable today.
Johnson looked good for a game and I’m jacked about him, but Colby looked pretty decent at times last year as well at guard. Point is it’s pretty premature to make depth statements given the stats currently.

Reactions: frydaze
More fall-back recruits headed our way. Nice! Hopefully we'll get lucky enough to steal a running back from Eastern Michigan down the road. Fingers crossed.

Proctor will go pro coming out of Iowa just as easily as coming out of Alabama, but, he certainly won't get as good of a college experience. Biggest stage he's likely to play in is an Iowa vs Penn State night environment vs. an SEC / Nat'l championship game.

Reactions: littlez
It said he was reopening his commitment. He didn't say we were out. Also the RB room looks to be full of Freshman studs right now too.
Freshman studs? First, we have 2 freshmen who combined have about 20 carries this season for their careers. Always funny how fanatics like you jump way ahead of yourselves. Bet you said repeatedly the same thing about our OL too at some point. Where's that stand?

More fall-back recruits headed our way. Nice! Hopefully we'll get lucky enough to steal a running back from Eastern Michigan down the road. Fingers crossed.

Proctor will go pro coming out of Iowa just as easily as coming out of Alabama, but, he certainly won't get as good of a college experience. Biggest stage he's likely to play in is an Iowa vs Penn State night environment vs. an SEC / Nat'l championship game.
Honestly, those late de-commits we pick up from MAC schools often turn out to be the most productive players here-- certainly more so than many kids who commit much earlier in the process.

How come the naysayers didn't mortgage their homes and get this guy some money so he wouldn't decommit?
That job should be left to the Over-the-top-no-objectivity-my-hawkeyes-can-never-do-wrong crowd. Would be an interesting case study to see life in the world of a fanatic who lives and breaths everything Iowa. All some of you want is the Iowa coaches and players to bounce you on their knees.

Look, when you can't field 5 adequate starters today depth is a huge problem. Forget about depth. There is none. Zero. Nada.
All I’m saying is that given the stats you have nothing to back this up. Basing this off of one game. Again iowa has a 5* coming in at OT Colby needs to stay at guard he’s only a sophomore where he was a freshman AA last year. Center is a mess but it’s two freshman, hoping to see Elsbury. There is basically one upper class man is out there Dejong.

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze

Geez, and I thought I had a tendency to go negative at times. We have some good running backs today. The problems are everywhere else.

All I’m saying is that given the stats you have nothing to back this up. Basing this off of one game. Again iowa has a 5* coming in at OT Colby needs to stay at guard he’s only a sophomore where he was a freshman AA last year. Center is a mess but it’s two freshman, hoping to see Elsbury. There is basically one upper class man is out there Dejong.
I think you might have just agreed with me. 🤔

LETS GOOOOO!
Welcome, young man.

Oh wait, he's decommitting?
Pssssh, who cares, didn't want him.
Yup. The bi-polar nature of fans.

The problem is, there isn't one post on here saying "who cares, didn't want him" ...75% of the comments are speculation on the reason why he is decommitting...the other 25% are pissing battles between those who think we are stacked at RB and we won't miss him vs those who think that opinion is flawed.

Lol. You think he is gonna change offensive scheme. Hell no Kirk won’t. History shows that clearly.
It really doesn't. Ken OKeefes offensive years weren't bad. Greg Davis just did the same thing he did at Texas that everyone there hated him for. And Brian Ferentz just sucks. Now I certainly blame Kirk Ferentz for the hires and sticking with them, but it's just as likely that the last 2 are bad at their jobs as it is they're just following orders at the sake of their careers.

How so?
It was stated that it doesn't matter if they lose him and we won't care. If they are set at RB, use the scholarship for another position.
Not sure what you are talking about here
Why would any one suggest they should go after a highly rated, highly regarded RB that the staff liked? The point being made was this loss isn’t the end of the world. To suggest anything else imo is just knit picking

The problem is, there isn't one post on here saying "who cares, didn't want him" ...75% of the comments are speculation on the reason why he is decommitting...the other 25% are pissing battles between those who think we are stacked at RB and we won't miss him vs those who think that opinion is flawed.
You left out the typically very small group of posters who are grounded in reality and think that although it's disappointing to lose what appears to be a a quality recruit, the running back position is currently the only one with what appears to have some young talent and depth today. As to why he's decommitting nobody really knows. Decommits happen all the time and to way better programs than Iowa. It's all just message board fodder.

That’s tough, I think it’s a mixture of KJ Potential success and NIL. Teams are probably making promises he can’t turn down. Can someone come up with former RB decommits that went off to the NFL? Melvin Gordon comes to mind.
Eno

I agree it could be any number of things. Its just hard to believe an offense trajectory that is going backwards (plus all the negative press in media, etc.) the last few years wasn't part of that decision making

Getting future recruits with this offense will definitely be a factor. Of course iowa will always get the kids that fit iowa culture ... appreciate hard work, mentality strong...and all the other traits you mentioned in your previous post. But that only gets you so far, especially in this new era of recruiting
Fair enough ... I also think it is realistic to understand a program like Iowa (and for comparison purposes like a Wisconsin) recruit differently and have a different style/approach than a lot of other teams that has proven successful. I don't think that is going to change drastically for programs like Iowa/Wisconsin because they are looking to build internally over time more than other programs that are always looking for the quick fix (that could work one year and completely backfire the next).

That's not to say there isn't room for improvement and adjustments on how Iowa utilizes the portal and NIL and all of that. There is and yeah they might have to for certain positions/units.

All I know that is even with losing Raphael, Iowa is still around 20th in the country in 247 Rankings for Average Stars. For all the talk of Iowa being a "sinking ship" that I keep seeing thrown around on here and Twitter, the Recruiting has continued to trend UPWARDS, not downwards over the last 4-5 years. Just 7-8 years ago, Iowa had to rely on getting a lot of fallback recruits and flipping MAC offers on signing day and that hasn't been the case as much lately.

“If you listen to the fans one day you’ll be sitting with them”- who said this…..and very true.
Sincerely- My two cents :)

Well I guess, but where are they now? Really have no idea. Are they playing for someone and lighting it up?
Yelverton doesn't even appear to be on any college roster from what I could find ... maybe he is out of football all together?

Miamen is the back-up TE at Florida International

That's fine, but you've seen it a lot before, just like I have.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Do you make stuff up in your head? Every one of your posts is an over-reaction to what actually is being said in these treads
I think most humans do in fact generate thoughts in their heads, yes. Just like the conspiracy theorists that believe this is somehow, somehow a sign

That job should be left to the Over-the-top-no-objectivity-my-hawkeyes-can-never-do-wrong crowd. Would be an interesting case study to see life in the world of a fanatic who lives and breaths everything Iowa. All some of you want is the Iowa coaches and players to bounce you on their knees.
Never have individual fans have the opportunity to influence sports like they do now. Time for the folks to put up the money and help bring in those 5 stars. Money will trump many other concerns on the part of athletes.

I agree in the fact Charlie Jones was never going to put up big numbers at Iowa because we'd never utilize him the way Purdue now is. So agree that those numbers he's got at Purdue would never come close to being the numbers he'd have at Iowa.

That's precisely why he left and why us Iowa fans are so annoyed with our offense. We sometimes have the players. Why can't we figure out how to utilize them?

Brian thinks this is New England offense. Just plug in Kevin Faulk & Rex Burkhead and call it a day.

Ball control wins the day, anyways.

Yelverton doesn't even appear to be on any college roster from what I could find ... maybe he is out of football all together?

Miamen is the back-up TE at Florida International
Yelverton had one of his games televised by ESPN his senior year. Deion Sanders was their assistant coach. I actually think Yelverton was a stud- big size and very athletic,

Well, go support Bama then .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT