ADVERTISEMENT

New Story RB Kendrick Raphael decommits from Iowa

It was the injuries to those who stayed,not those who left. Besides Jones, which of the others are making a difference somewhere else?
Injuries plus transfers need to be taken into account together. Had those 4 receivers not transferred, I'm guessing the drop off of production would not have been as drastic had they been here to step in when the others were injured.

Definitely stacked. If your fourth receiver on your team actually becomes one of the top receivers in the big ten elsewhere, then you are stacked at receiver. Whether that talent is utilized at iowa is another question.
Just like we are stacked at QB? Kirk has never been known to start less talented player over guys that turn out to be playmakers has he?🤔

Speculation GIF by One Chicago

I think he looked at the depth chart. We're already showing a freshman as probable will start at some point this season. Another 4* RB probably redshirting, and the starter for now is only a sophomore.
Exactly! Current depth chart:

1. Sophomore
2. Sophomore
3. Freshman (who will be starter soon enough)
4. Freshman (who will most likely redshirt)

We are just fine at RB. Save that scholarship for a WR and go out and try to get a good one or potentially a transfer portal player that can contribute day one on offense, either at WR or OL. We are just fine at TE. Don't continue to waste scholarships on players that won't crack the 2 deeps.

Exactly! Current depth chart:

1. Sophomore
2. Sophomore
3. Freshman (who will be starter soon enough)
4. Freshman (who will most likely redshirt)

We are just fine at RB. Save that scholarship for a WR and go out and try to get a good one or potentially a transfer portal player that can contribute day one on offense, either at WR or OL. We are just fine at TE. Don't continue to waste scholarships on players that won't crack the 2 deeps.
If our line can figure out how to block we can find someone to run through a hole.

Just like we are stacked at QB? Kirk has never been known to start less talented player over guys that turn out to be playmakers has he?🤔

Speculation GIF by One Chicago
QB and receiver are two completely different situations. As a fourth receiver you see the field a ton. I can’t really think of many or any receivers the last decade that should have been playing but weren’t. Now they may have not have been used efficiently but that’s a different story.

Reactions: intrepodor
I'm going to assume you understand the difference between should/ought and must.

I pay to post on this board and have complied, I think, to the posting rules. That's what gives me the right to tell others my opinion of their posts. That is kind of how these sites work. We all are sharing opinions. For example who are you to criticize or even understand Brian or Kirk Ferentz. Do you know more about football, pretty sure no. Do you see the guys practice, pretty sure no. Yet you have no problem saying what the Ferentz's should do, or what should be done to them. It's how the 1st Amendment works, at least for now.

I chose to share my opinion about your quote because the smarmy gloating over Iowa bad news has become a tedious monotony of actual animosity from people that purport to be Iowa fans. Frankly, hoping to point you in a healthier direction since you very clearly do not appreciate Iowa football and derive satisfaction if not pleasure from bad news. That's a nasty negative way to live. I think you sound more like an Ohio State or Michigan fan. They almost always win, score tons of points. What's not there for you to love? You should thank me.​
I'm not even sure who you're talking to. You're on a free board and you still owe me $20.

• Haha
Reactions: bozotheclown
I'm going to assume you understand the difference between should/ought and must.

I pay to post on this board and have complied, I think, to the posting rules. That's what gives me the right to tell others my opinion of their posts. That is kind of how these sites work. We all are sharing opinions. For example who are you to criticize or even understand Brian or Kirk Ferentz. Do you know more about football, pretty sure no. Do you see the guys practice, pretty sure no. Yet you have no problem saying what the Ferentz's should do, or what should be done to them. It's how the 1st Amendment works, at least for now.

I chose to share my opinion about your quote because the smarmy gloating over Iowa bad news has become a tedious monotony of actual animosity from people that purport to be Iowa fans. Frankly, hoping to point you in a healthier direction since you very clearly do not appreciate Iowa football and derive satisfaction if not pleasure from bad news. That's a nasty negative way to live. I think you sound more like an Ohio State or Michigan fan. They almost always win, score tons of points. What's not there for you to love? You should thank me.​
You chose to share your opinion as do others. If they think differently then you do they should go support another team?

Injuries plus transfers need to be taken into account together. Had those 4 receivers not transferred, I'm guessing the drop off of production would not have been as drastic had they been here to step in when the others were injured.
Doesn't answer my question. You can't just pretend that those other receivers would have suddenly become productive.

More fall-back recruits headed our way. Nice! Hopefully we'll get lucky enough to steal a running back from Eastern Michigan down the road. Fingers crossed.

Proctor will go pro coming out of Iowa just as easily as coming out of Alabama, but, he certainly won't get as good of a college experience. Biggest stage he's likely to play in is an Iowa vs Penn State night environment vs. an SEC / Nat'l championship game.
Fall back recruits? Have you been paying attention the last 4-5 years or not? That is exactly opposite of the direction recruiting has been going. In the last handful of years, Iowa has been getting more of the players at the top of their board than they had been getting pre-2017 or so. Which is why their recruiting rankings have been higher.

Yeah, I just couldn't find any news of him landing anywhere after he left Iowa.
I wonder if there was an injury or just gave up the sport? Really surprising he didn't seem to be any sort of factor in the lineup in his couple years here. Again, was really excited about him when I watched him on the featured ESPN high school game his senior year in high school.

So says Clint Eastwood. :)
Lots of pages/comments on this one and truly don’t understand why. First of all we have a some good kids on the current roster and I have confidence in Ladell Betts to reload. Kids are kids and will change their mind.
Too many are translating this decommit to our offensive ineptitude. Ok, our offense does suck and emotions are high on a change. We look like the Aksarben chat boards on these posts.

I wonder if there was an injury or just gave up the sport? Really surprising he didn't seem to be any sort of factor in the lineup in his couple years here. Again, was really excited about him when I watched him on the featured ESPN high school game his senior year in high school.
Yeah, it would appear he might just have gave it up? I am speculating but there is literally nothing when you Google his name since the release that he was leaving the program. Even his Twitter says he is still at Iowa and last post was in 2020. Maybe his heart just wasn't into it anymore and/or he just wants to be a student.

Reactions: frydaze
Yeah, it would appear he might just have gave it up? I am speculating but there is literally nothing when you Google his name since the release that he was leaving the program. Even his Twitter says he is still at Iowa and last post was in 2020. Maybe his heart just wasn't into it anymore and/or he just wants to be a student.
That does happen that his heart simply wasn't in it anymore. Big time college football and the commitment it takes simply isn't for everyone.

I remember Iowa got a TE from Ohio named Furlong probably 10 years ago now. Came here not as highly regarded as Yelverton but a good prospect. Not only did he never play in his 3 or so years here, but he was so behind the curve that he wasn't even one of the 105 players invited to fall camp one year.

For one reason or another some kids just crash and burn once they get to college.

Reactions: owenhawk
Fall back recruits? Have you been paying attention the last 4-5 years or not? That is exactly opposite of the direction recruiting has been going. In the last handful of years, Iowa has been getting more of the players at the top of their board than they had been getting pre-2017 or so. Which is why their recruiting rankings have been higher.
Are we sure that bump hasn't been more attributable to the defensive side of the ball? Honestly I'm not sure. That's why I'm asking.

Just went back and looked at his profile in high school. Great size and had some really good offers.

@Blair Sanderson do you ever know what happened to him once he left Iowa?

If you don't blame recruits for decommitting why on Earth are posting on an Iowa board? Just go follow a different team and leave Iowa sites for Iowa fans
Confused with this. Are you saying that to be an Iowa fan you must put 100% of the blame for decommitting on this kid? Doesn't sound reasonable, especially with what everyone has seen from the current Iowa offense.

Confused with this. Are you saying that to be an Iowa fan you must put 100% of the blame for decommitting on this kid? Doesn't sound reasonable, especially with what everyone has seen from the current Iowa offense.
He's one of these guys who gets his panties in a bunch and is super sensitive when he feels someone is calling his baby (Iowa Hawkeyes) ugly. Betting he doesn't own a pair of clothes that aren't black and gold and likely his house he lives in is this color too.

Reactions: blhawk
  • Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999
And they'll just find other 4-star kids to plug in. Iowa will never have that luxury.

Hell, check Michigan's de-commit list every year under Harbaugh. It's huge yet they always end up with a great class too-- just like Penn State.
Decommits are common. Not an Iowa issue. He is a 4 star Florida running back. We kind of knew if someone else higher up came whispering in his ear he might be gone.

Decommits are common. Not an Iowa issue. He is a 4 star Florida running back. We kind of knew if someone else higher up came whispering in his ear he might be gone.
De-commits are common, but the point is some schools can overcome them better than others.

Eno Benjamin de-committed as a RB from here and Iowa has since never had a RB as good as he was at ASU.

We will never know the kind of career Raphael would have had here, but he seemed to be a damn good one and Iowa likely will not be finding a replacement for him at the same level.

Reactions: Ronman
And they'll just find other 4-star kids to plug in. Iowa will never have that luxury.

Hell, check Michigan's de-commit list every year under Harbaugh. It's huge yet they always end up with a great class too-- just like Penn State.
While I understand your point, it kind of underscores the reality that I and some others have said about obstacles a program like Iowa has to achieve "elite" status that is a lot easier for blue-blood programs. The fact that Iowa has been knocking on that door while having to deal with those recruiting obstacles is kind of a testament to KF's program ... which is why is it perplexing to see so many fans act like he is somehow failing and that the program would immediately make some huge jump into a consistent CFP-level program.

KF isn't perfect but I think he understands that competing against blue bloods directly is a likely losing proposition for a program like Iowa, so the system he implements (by that I mean style of play, recruiting approach, emphasis on development and bringing in high-character/team players - while not perfect and obviously frustrating to some of the fan base - is likely what keeps Iowa in the realm of being a very good (if not occasionally borderline elite) program.

De-commits are common, but the point is some schools can overcome them better than others.

Eno Benjamin de-committed as a RB from here and Iowa has since never had a RB as good as he was at ASU.

We will never know the kind of career Raphael would have had here, but he seemed to be a damn good one and Iowa likely will not be finding a replacement for him at the same level.
I would take the Wadley / Daniels combo any day of the week.

Are we sure that bump hasn't been more attributable to the defensive side of the ball? Honestly I'm not sure. That's why I'm asking.
Just going back and looking, starting in 2017 (Epenesa class) is when Iowa started bringing in sub-40 ranked classes (after having been up in the 50's for some years) and the last 3-4 years has been more in the 20 - 35 range, it has been a nice mix actually. A lot of OL (which explains why there is a lot of SO and FR playing maybe - and hopefully why there should be some optimism they will get better) but players like Kaleb Johnson, Keegan Johnson, Arland Bruce, Carson May, Gavin Williams, Luke Lachey were all skill position players in the top 5 of their class for Iowa.

While I understand your point, it kind of underscores the reality that I and some others have said about obstacles a program like Iowa has to achieve "elite" status that is a lot easier for blue-blood programs. The fact that Iowa has been knocking on that door while having to deal with those recruiting obstacles is kind of a testament to KF's program ... which is why is it perplexing to see so many fans act like he is somehow failing and that the program would immediately make some huge jump into a consistent CFP-level program.

KF isn't perfect but I think he understands that competing against blue bloods directly is a likely losing proposition for a program like Iowa, so the system he implements (by that I mean style of play, recruiting approach, emphasis on development and bringing in high-character/team players - while not perfect and obviously frustrating to some of the fan base - is likely what keeps Iowa in the realm of being a very good (if not occasionally borderline elite) program.
KF has worked so very well within the good and the bad factors that exist at a place like Iowa. We have some advantages here but we also have some disadvantages. Not everyone could come here and have the same effectiveness.

Someone said earlier and I completely agree-- while Iowa's recruiting has ramped up overall the past few years with more top level talent, it also means they could lose more kids early to the NFL plus maybe a more likelihood kids will want to transfer out because they came here with top accolades and think they should be playing.

The next HC here will need to understand this too. Not everyone has had the experience and understanding of a place like Iowa. You need to understand how to work within the confines of what you have and what you don't have.

Shocking coming from you considering both have spoken out badly towards the Ferentz's. Figured both these guys would be on your hate list.
Has Leshun said much? I know James of course did, but I didn’t think big brother had much to say. I’m open to being wrong!

Just going back and looking, starting in 2017 (Epenesa class) is when Iowa started bringing in sub-40 ranked classes (after having been up in the 50's for some years) and the last 3-4 years has been more in the 20 - 35 range, it has been a nice mix actually. A lot of OL (which explains why there is a lot of SO and FR playing maybe - and hopefully why there should be some optimism they will get better) but players like Kaleb Johnson, Keegan Johnson, Arland Bruce, Carson May, Gavin Williams, Luke Lachey were all skill position players in the top 5 of their class for Iowa.
What do you mean when you say top 5 of their class for Iowa?

Has Leshun said much? I know James of course did, but I didn’t think big brother had much to say. I’m open to being wrong!
Don't think Leshun has-- obviously Wadley and James Daniels have. In fact, wasn't it James Daniels' comments that came out first and go the whole thing going and turned into a national exposure?

ADVERTISEMENT