ADVERTISEMENT

New Story RB Kendrick Raphael decommits from Iowa

Don't think Leshun has-- obviously Wadley and James Daniels have. In fact, wasn't it James Daniels' comments that came out first and go the whole thing going and turned into a national exposure?
Yeah, James’ tweet and then the replies from Mike Daniels and others, and holy shit that snowball formed in a hurry.

Reactions: frydaze
Gale Sayers?

Not sure if he ever committed but was close to coming to Iowa, IIRC.
Story has it Sayers WANTED to come to Iowa but when he made his recruiting trip here he was virtually ignored by the staff (just read that posted on here not that long ago). Therefore, don't think he ever actually committed here as much as he clearly wasn't the staff's top choice at RB and likely never offered.

I'm guessing back then though guys didn't commit in the fashion they do now.

Confused with this. Are you saying that to be an Iowa fan you must put 100% of the blame for decommitting on this kid? Doesn't sound reasonable, especially with what everyone has seen from the current Iowa offense.
I think you entirely missed the point. Its gloating when something bad happens to Iowa. That's being a fan in the way a wife beater loves his wife.

You also entirely missed another point by infusion of "blame" into the transaction. If by blame you mean who broke their word and decommitted then that pretty much falls on the player does it not? Iowa did not withdraw the offer, right? Perhaps the two higher ranked freshmen ahead of him and the two sophomores ahead of them did not provide a clear starting role until he was a junior and maybe even senior.

Now, with NIL we essentially have practically unregulated free agency, it's time to just abandon the concept of all the virtues of amateurism sung by the NCAA and recognize these decisions as merely transactions. The running back room is already full and people are going to fight for downs.

Reactions: Madman_1
Confused with this. Are you saying that to be an Iowa fan you must put 100% of the blame for decommitting on this kid? Doesn't sound reasonable, especially with what everyone has seen from the current Iowa offense.
We don't know and we won't know until this kid commits again. Then I think it will be evident as to why a 4 star Florida RB decommitted from Iowa and went to wherever he ends up.

Reactions: MizzuHawk
Shocking coming from you considering both have spoken out badly towards the Ferentz's. Figured both these guys would be on your hate list.
Daniels never said a bad word from what I ever saw. And you realize when I refer to Wadley I refer to what he did on the field.

Don't think Leshun has-- obviously Wadley and James Daniels have. In fact, wasn't it James Daniels' comments that came out first and go the whole thing going and turned into a national exposure?
I think James wanted to have more fun at practices. As a Bear he had commented how the Bears coach let them play loud music at practices and that was fun and something Kirk would never do at Iowa. Funny thing is that Bears coach was fired not long after that because he wasn't winning.

Do we think guys like Chris Doyle watch Iowa games or Scott Frost watch Nebraska now??? Be interesting to find out.

I think this is most likely related to a combo of the following:
  1. Iowa was in on him early before his senior year, he has blown up and other local and areas schools probably showing interest (Miami, FSU, etc?)
  2. Iowa is a long way from FL, maybe see #1 here as well
  3. I'm sure either he and/or teams recruiting against him say "look at the depth chart, at least 4 scholly RB's are soph or below"
  4. He committed early and now with new info wants to take his time, better now than first week of December and he didn't take a secret visit or be coy w/staff from what we know
  5. NIL money and saying "SEE, who wants to play in this offense" is a short sided argument IMO. Maybe with a QB or WR you might say this, but wow look at Iowa's RB history with PT, # of carriers a year and the typical OL (outside of this year) they churn out. Hawks can also say (we hope!) that we have the best HS OT in the nation blocking for you starting next year, so there's that
Just a little perspective AND we have a chance to fill his ride sooner than later, we usually do just fine at RB, I'd rather find a top flight WR if possible as we are looking good at RB.
And look in fhe portal for said WR!

X
I think you entirely missed the point. Its gloating when something bad happens to Iowa. That's being a fan in the way a wife beater loves his wife.

You also entirely missed another point by infusion of "blame" into the transaction. If by blame you mean who broke their word and decommitted then that pretty much falls on the player does it not? Iowa did not withdraw the offer, right? Perhaps the two higher ranked freshmen ahead of him and the two sophomores ahead of them did not provide a clear starting role until he was a junior and maybe even senior.

Now, with NIL we essentially have practically unregulated free agency, it's time to just abandon the concept of all the virtues of amateurism sung by the NCAA and recognize these decisions as merely transactions. The running back room is already full and people are going to fight for downs.
Don't see how your 1st point has anything to do with the conversation.

I didn't infuse "blame" into any part of the transaction. You posted, "If you don't blame recruits for decommitting why on Earth are posting on an Iowa board?"

My point only is, at this point to assume if he decided to decommit then it's all on him is simply unfounded. Commitment, in my opinion is a two way transaction. Nobody knows at this point which side failed.

As far as the rest of your post, sounds like you have an axe to grind with the current state of college athletics. It is what it is.

Especially in today's world of Transfer portal, a recruits Commitment is his indication anywhere between "the best opportunity so far" to "born a Hawkeye". Every recruit needs as much love and attention expressed as possible post commitment, but if their dream team offers or other highly attractive teams closer to home or, sad to say, teams with a better NIL deals offer, you have to expect a young man owes it to himself to check it out. Its all up in the air until they sign on the dotted line. What ever the agreement and expectation Kirk establishes with the committing recruit, you hope the communication lines are open, and what it means to de-commit (at any given point in time before signing) is clear to both parties.

Last edited:
X

Don't see how your 1st point has anything to do with the conversation.

I didn't infuse "blame" into any part of the transaction. You posted, "If you don't blame recruits for decommitting why on Earth are posting on an Iowa board?"

My point only is, at this point to assume if he decided to decommit then it's all on him is simply unfounded. Commitment, in my opinion is a two way transaction. Nobody knows at this point which side failed.

As far as the rest of your post, sounds like you have an axe to grind with the current state of college athletics. It is what it is.
My first comment was actually directed at all the whiners and whingers that gloat over a recommitment. For them its yet another opportunity to get on here and attack the coaches and players. These weasels introduce "blame" by mindlessly blaming the coaches, especially Brian, because some kid, who looks like he would be buried on the depth chart decides to look for quicker playing time. That would be the rational conclusion since the kid committed after watching our weak offense all year last year. Those two top flight running freshmen also committed knowing all about the offensive problems. I merely observed, from an actual, literal sense the only one to "blame" is the guy that lied to his coaches and implicitly lied to other recruits then broke his word. Raphael is the only one that did that and we know he did that. Trying to defend such unsavory conduct by attacking the Iowa program and coaches really does explain the difference between a fan and a casual observer and critic.

Of course no one really knows what is banging around in the kid's head. So, let's assume he's rational, sees Iowa's depth and youth at RB and then, logically, looks for a place where he's likely to get playing time in the next three years.

You are right about objections to college athletics and watching greed destroy amateur sports. I have a sense of mourning this social change-it really is all for the worse. When KF retires Iowa will become an Illinois, Minnesota or Northwestern kind of program. Get a seven or eight win team once in a while, maybe go to bowl games in mid December but basically a shitty long term program.

Reactions: Madman_1
It was the injuries to those who stayed,not those who left. Besides Jones, which of the others are making a difference somewhere else?

Common sense will tell you if you lose 4 scholarship guys at one position, you should replace them.

yes, we had injuries this year but if we replaced those guys we would have the depth to survive. Whether or not they are playing at their new school they still managed to get D1 scholarship offers from two schools (iowa, school they transferred to), which is better than the walk ons we had been running out there.

Common sense will tell you if you lose 4 scholarship guys at one position, you should replace them.

yes, we had injuries this year but if we replaced those guys we would have the depth to survive. Whether or not they are playing at their new school they still managed to get D1 scholarship offers from two schools (iowa, school they transferred to), which is better than the walk ons we had been running out there.
Ain't hindsight great? And wouldn't it be great if every player Iowa tried to get out of the portal just came to Iowa? You sure have it all figured out, don't you?

Ain't hindsight great? And wouldn't it be great if every player Iowa tried to get out of the portal just came to Iowa? You sure have it all figured out, don't you?

It is not hindsight to say if you lost 4 players at one position you should try to replace them.

If they did and landed no one that is an indictment of the coaches and the offense. You know the original point of my post that you started arguing with me on here.
When the best of those who left did so at the last moment it left Iowa with few options. A real asshole move on Charlie's part. The other 3 meant nothing. They literally got beat out by walk-ons for 5th and 6th receiver spots.

The injuries hurt far more than losing any of the 4. Losing KJ, Vines, Brecht, and Ragaini was unexpected and could not have been anticipated. Only KJ was a lingering injury. Coaches can only do so much within the rules to prepare.

When the best of those who left did so at the last moment it left Iowa with few options. A real asshole move on Charlie's part. The other 3 meant nothing. They literally got beat out by walk-ons for 5th and 6th receiver spots.

The injuries hurt far more than losing any of the 4. Losing KJ, Vines, Brecht, and Ragaini was unexpected and could not have been anticipated. Only KJ was a lingering injury. Coaches can only do so much within the rules to prepare.

Tyrone Tracy got beat out by walkons? lol ok

So what about the question that was asked, here I'll give it to you again. Do you think he would have an impact?

So Iowa shouldnt have recruited any receivers because our Qb/ offense cant get them the ball? thats your argument

But yes, he would make more of an impact that Jack Johnson and Alex Wick

I think James wanted to have more fun at practices. As a Bear he had commented how the Bears coach let them play loud music at practices and that was fun and something Kirk would never do at Iowa. Funny thing is that Bears coach was fired not long after that because he wasn't winning.

Why the fock would a coach want music blaring at a practice. That just dumb

I would take the Wadley / Daniels combo any day of the week.
OK. Daniels went undrafted in 17 like Wadley did in 18....Eno's freshman year was 17 so definitely wasn't an either/or with the 2 you mentioned. I personally would prefer the guy who got drafted and is currently on an NFL roster. To act like Eno wasn't a loss to the program when Kyshaun Bryan was his replacement in that class seems a little ridiculous to me. Sargent and Goodson were decent replacements but neither got drafted and are on practice squad

ADVERTISEMENT