ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***RB Leshon Williams commits to Iowa***

Apr 8, 2003
Leshon Williams commits to Iowa

himo4qu11pieecqjb0ru

Running back Leshon Williams committed to the Iowa Hawkeyes today.

Blair Sanderson • HawkeyeReport.com
@BlairRIVALS

Less than 24 hours after picking up a scholarship offer from the Hawkeyes, running back Leshon Williams has decided to make Iowa his college home. The 5-foot-10, 205-pound Illinois native made the call today and gave his verbal commitment to the Iowa coaching staff.

“It wasn’t really a hard decision,” said Williams. “I’ve been high on Iowa ever since my teammate, Sebastian Castro, committed there.”

Williams teamed up with Castro, a Class of 2019 recruit for the Hawkeyes, to lead Oak Lawn Richards to a 12-1 record last season. Along the way, the Class of 2020 running back racked up 2,115 yards rushing and 24 touchdowns, averaging 9.7 yards per carry.

“The coaches love how quick and explosive I am,” Williams said. “Also, how hard I run and how I can run routes and catch the ball out of the backfield.”

A three-star prospect, Williams chose Iowa over scholarship offers from Kansas State, Cincinnati, Wyoming, Ball State, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Miami-OH, Kent State, Northern Illinois, Ohio, Toledo, Western Michigan, Eastern Illinois, and Youngstown State.

Overall, Williams is commitment No. 10 for the Hawkeyes as he joins Deuce Hogan, Michael Lois, Isaiah Bruce, Gavin Williams, Logan Jones, Ethan Hurkett, Josh Volk, Tyler Elsbury, and Elijah Yelverton in Iowa's recruiting class of 2020.

See highlights from Williams' junior year at Richards in the video below.

Doesn't seem to have great long speed, but I love the explosion off his cuts when he sees a hole. Easy to see his game translating to a zone blocking scheme.
Exactly, I can see why he isn’t a highly rated recruit overall, but can see where he would fit a zone scheme really well.

Welcome aboard, Leshon.

Welcome LaShon! I like a guy who make his decision without a lot of fanfare. I also think you fit our scheme perfectly and will be an impact player a couple of years down the road. Glad to have you on board LaShon!

Reactions: Harbinger273
Nice pickup Hawks. Reminds me of Jewel Hampton. First down machine similar to the kid we just got from Alabama. Those 2 and Geil mixed with the home run ability of Goodson and Gavin we are setup for the future. :D I can see him playing at 220/225 in a couple years.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Nice pickup Hawks. Reminds me of Jewel Hampton. First down machine similar to the kid we just got from Alabama. Those 2 and Geil mixed with the home run ability of Goodson and Gavin we are setup for the future. :D I can see him playing at 220/225 in a couple years.

Don’t count on Geil ever carrying the ball in an Iowa uniform again. Sorry to burst your bubble there.

But I’m on board with the rest of this post!

Reactions: millhawk and Niko13
Really the only knock on this kid looks like his speed- has good burst, quick feet, and is very compact and powerful- very similar to Sargent.

Really the only knock on this kid looks like his speed- has good burst, quick feet, and is very compact and powerful- very similar to Sargent.

Ladell Betts and Fred Russell didn’t have incredible straight ahead speed, but had similar qualities to those you listed and did alright for themselves. The more I watch Williams’ film, the more excited I get.

I think 220 is too big for Leshon. He will be most effective at no more than 210-215. Really think we got a strong commit here. His speed may even improve at Iowa, though we have proven effective at getting 'slow' RB's in the open field over the years, so it don't matter much.

Kid looks solid and muscular. Prototypical short stocky RB that could hold up to the grind of the B1G season.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Looks like potential thunder to someone's lightning, but any back coming in at 215+ with that quick lateral step is going to gain yards in the Iowa offense. Nice early commit. Wish him great success his senior year.

He’s got 4 guys in front of him on the depth chart, and likely 5 when Goodson gets to campus. People in the know don’t think he’ll be back next year.

You're probably right. Unless he's got the ability and desire to switch positions, he might be the odd man out in a very crowded RB room.

I would rather have a guy who can make someone miss than someone with top end speed but no wiggle.

Also, he doesn’t pull away but he doesn’t get caught either. I think he has good speed. Like others have said, he will probably get faster during his time at Iowa, especially because he’s already at his potential playing weight.

I like the pick up a lot. 2020 is a wide receiver away from being a fantastic class.

He’s got 4 guys in front of him on the depth chart, and likely 5 when Goodson gets to campus. People in the know don’t think he’ll be back next year.
I think Geil would be a good candidate for a switch to fullback. Wide open opportunity with Ross gone next year. Has the frame and just needs a little more bulk. More athletic and skilled than most fullbacks, and would make a solid check down option. Should already have an instinct for where to go to clear a path for the RB. Would have three years to make a case that he'd be useful in the NFL. Could be a crucial (though likely unsung) element of a potentially potent offense of a potential B10 championship grade team.

His other option would be to try to be a feature back in the FCS for three years, then likely be done with football forever. The former seems way more enticing to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT