ADVERTISEMENT

RB Tyler Goodson making an official visit to Iowa this week

This is major IMO. Unless I missed something the last news was "we" would not be paying for OV in the spring.

Edit: mid 50's Friday-Sun.

Last edited:
It was 84 in Augusta for the Masters. We'll probably be hoping for 48. This will be a tough sell IMO.

I think it’s worth it where you think the kid has serious interest and we are seriously interested in the kid. I assume Goodson is a take, he’s from a school we have relationship with, and he’s teammates with signee. It makes sense.

I don’t think we want to aggressively give official visits and accept early commitments from southern kids who we are perhaps the best current option. Those types of kids seem like a flight risk as their senior year progresses and more local schools get involved.

If any recruit is so ignorant of the facts that they don’t realize it gets cold in Iowa, I doubt they can handle the academic side of things.
I get a kick out of the fans that worry about Iowa weather also. The entire B10 is cold weather territory and southern recruits some how find the courage to play in this league.... even in such god forbidden freezers as Madison, Lansing, and Minneapolis.

It was 84 in Augusta for the Masters. We'll probably be hoping for 48. This will be a tough sell IMO.
The young man will be with McDonald ... and the Hawks sold McDonald on the Hawks. Furthermore, the players who are already in the program ... they know that they are on the cusp of contending ... and they're likely very excited and very confident as a result. Recruits who visit will notice the vibe emanating from the program ... and then they will also likely notice how close-knit our program is too ... to many players, it will be just the sort of environment they want to join.

Half the battle is getting them to campus in the first place.

Ever been to Augusta? Other than the golf course (that a very large percentage of people cannot get access to), the rest of the town is not much to brag about, to put it mildly.

I get a kick out of the fans that worry about Iowa weather also. The entire B10 is cold weather territory and southern recruits some how find the courage to play in this league.... even in such god forbidden freezers as Madison, Lansing, and Minneapolis.
Agree totally...fans shouldn't underestimate the intelligence of a young man like Tyler Goodson, and his parents. They know what's goin' on, and they know that Iowa will give them the straight info on the Hawkeyes' program (including the weather forecasts).

Not to mention the season is pretty well over before we usually see much real bad weather.(Unless your playing in the Pinstripe bowl on the frozen tundra)!

Not sure which day was 84. I live 55 miles from Augusta, rained on Wednesday which cooled things own. Was a high of 52 on Sunday. One of the colder Masters on record. It was 33° this AM but warmed to 67.

I actually lived in Georgia and our daughter attended North Gwinnett. It is warmer in the winter but still gets cold.

Think we have a shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
Seems like we have shifted focus away from recruiting Texas and more into Georgia.
You recruit where you have connections. Wallace was in Georgia at Valdosta State. Foster was a graduate assistant in Valdosta State (Georgia), an assistant coach at Tennessee, an assistant coach at Northwestern State University (Louisiana), and an assistant coach at Samford (Alabama). Bell is from Mississippi and still has some ties down there. Lastly, Copeland is a native of Florida (from the Miami area) and has been known to recruit Florida some too.

Given the Geographic connections of the assistant coaches - that would suggest to me that when we recruit outside of our normal recruiting footprint ... it will mainly be in the southeast.

Reactions: grhawk
Looks like he could be a good receiver out of the backfield. Uses the head fake well, but also a one-cut back when its there.

Think he would fit well into what we like to do, and could be quite successful here if he puts in the work.

Reactions: Harbinger273
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT