ADVERTISEMENT

RBG: Let's talk WHEN, not IF

BeepBeepInMyJeep

HR Legend
Jun 28, 2010
Democrats: Stop pointing and yelling "Hypocrite!" at the top of your lungs at Mitch. Yea, we know.

Now tactically speaking, if you're Mitch, you have to wait until November 4th to start on this, right? Not only do you force Collins, Ernst, Tillis, Perdue, McSally and Gardner to VERY difficult votes, you also take them off the campaign for hearings. I mean, anyone who is squarely in the camp of "Trump should pick RBG's replacement" was ALREADY on Team R. I think it would be a huge error to bring these Senators back to DC. If you wait until November, then those 6 all have a vote in the Senate for 8 weeks come hell or high water.

I think he's making a mistake to just not come out and say "We'll wait until after the Election" and still be technically true to his word if he waits to confirm until the lame duck session. At that point, there's some manuevarability. If Trump wins the Election and the Republicans hold the Senate, then you get who you want without much fuss. If you have Biden and a Republican Senate, you pretty much have to find a compromise candidate anyway so both sides will at least be willing to come to the table. The risk is if Dems win across the board, they have some leverage to threaten retaliation but then you can still jam through an arch-conservative and then let Dems have to deal with potential fallout and use their political capital on things like breaking the filibuster and expanding the Court.

It just seems like all three possible results have a more favorable outcome for Republicans than trying to rush an appointment before Nov 3.

Last edited:
Democrats: Stop pointing and yelling "Hypocrite!" at the top of your lungs at Mitch. Yea, we know.

Now tactically speaking, if your Mitch, you have to wait until November 4th to start on this, right? Not only do you force Collins, Ernst, Tillis, Perdue, McSally and Gardner to VERY difficult votes, you also take them off the campaign for hearings. I mean, anyone who is squarely in the camp of "Trump should pick RBG's replacement" was ALREADY on Team R. I think it would be a huge error to bring these Senators back to DC. If you wait until November, then those 6 all have a vote in the Senate for 8 weeks come hell or high water.

I think he's making a mistake to just not come out and say "We'll wait until after the Election" and still be technically true to his word if he waits to confirm until the lame duck session. At that point, there's some manuevarability. If Trump wins the Election and the Republicans hold the Senate, then you get who you want without much fuss. If you have Biden and a Republican Senate, you pretty much have to find a compromise candidate anyway so both sides will at least be willing to come to the table. The risk is if Dems win across the board, they have some leverage to threaten retaliation but then you can still jam through an arch-conservative and then let Dems have to deal with potential fallout and use their political capital on things like breaking the filibuster and expanding the Court.

It just seems like all three possible results have a more favorable outcome for Republicans than trying to rush an appointment before Nov 3.

I don't really disagree with anything here. My guess is they wait until after the election and then ram somebody through in the lame duck session banking their money on the Democrats not having the will to do what will be necessary to try and expand the court. It's not a bad bet to make, although I don't think the political blow back will be that bad for Democrats if they try it.

The only people that will be really upset would never vote for a Democrat anyway and the reasons for doing it will be very clear and justified. If the Democrats try and wait until a potential 2nd Biden term to do it then the window of opportunity will have passed.

Now tactically speaking, if your Mitch, you have to wait until November 4th to start on this, right? Not only do you force Collins, Ernst, Tillis, Perdue, McSally and Gardner to VERY difficult votes, you also take them off the campaign for hearings. I mean, anyone who is squarely in the camp of "Trump should pick RBG's replacement" was ALREADY on Team R. I think it would be a huge error to bring these Senators back to DC. If you wait until November, then those 6 all have a vote in the Senate for 8 weeks come hell or high water.

This is a very good post. Don’t think Mitch puts up a nominee till after the election as well.

They will use it as a motivator to get shithole evangelicals out to vote. And win or lose in November, will push through a pick during the lame duck.

Sorry, I know we're cross-talking in a different thread but to reiterate here...I'm just not sure about that. Its not like they were fleeing to the Jorgenson camp or thinking about sitting out. I just think he's got all those 100% behind him just as he has for the last 4 years. For "Lincoln Project" type Republicans, Biden inevitably appointing RBG's replacement was already baked in.

Good post. It doesn’t seem to make sense for McConnell to actually force vulnerable Senators into a difficult vote. Use the pick as a reason to get out the vote and more importantly for him, to retain the Senate.

I do think this will put him at odds with Trump, who will want a quick confirmation to crow about over the coming weeks. I see a lot of “Don’t wait, Mitch!” tweets coming.

Sorry, I know we're cross-talking in a different thread but to reiterate here...I'm just not sure about that. Its not like they were fleeing to the Jorgenson camp or thinking about sitting out. I just think he's got all those 100% behind him just as he has for the last 4 years. For "Lincoln Project" type Republicans, Biden inevitably appointing RBG's replacement was already baked in.
I hope you're right. I want to eat crow on this so bad.

If Mitch moves before the election then they will feel the pain at the ballot boxes. If they move after the election then we pack the court. Pick your poison, cons.

They will use it as a motivator to get shithole evangelicals out to vote. And win or lose in November, will push through a pick during the lame duck.

They already tend to have giant turnouts. Not sure how much can be squeezed.

You're talking to a blank screen. You can yell at McConnell and Graham and tell their switchboard staffer what hypocrites they are on the phone until you're blue in the face and it wont change a damn thing. If the Dems want to win this fight, they're going to have to do it tactically. If Trump declares a nominee, maybe Dems even say alright, let's go to DC for some hearings, pull those 6 vulnerable Senators away for the last weeks from their campaign. Dems have basically 1 vulnerable Senator, maybe 2 if you want to be generous and Jones is probably going to lose no matter what.

You're talking to a blank screen. You can yell at McConnell and Graham and tell their switchboard staffer what hypocrites they are on the phone until you're blue in the face and it wont change a damn thing. If the Dems want to win this fight, they're going to have to do it tactically. If Trump declares a nominee, maybe Dems even say alright, let's go to DC for some hearings, pull those 6 vulnerable Senators away for the last weeks from their campaign. Dems have basically 1 vulnerable Senator, maybe 2 if you want to be generous and Jones is probably going to lose no matter what.
End the Filibuster and add 2 Justices they need to fight like that now if this desecration pulls this.

I have a novel idea, what if they did what is best for the country....😲😲😵

I know this is a crazy concept. Maybe both sides could work together to find the best person for the job regardless of political affiliation.

I get so tired of everything being a fight so one party can one up the other. We have lost everything good in this country when it is more important to beat the other side than it is to do what is best for the country and the people.

I have a novel idea, what if they did what is best for the country....😲😲😵

I know this is a crazy concept. Maybe both sides could work together to find the best person for the job regardless of political affiliation.

I get so tired of everything being a fight so one party can one up the other. We have lost everything good in this country when it is more important to beat the other side than it is to do what is best for the country and the people.
Democrats did that when Obama nominated Merrick Garland, a well-respected moderate. It's insanity to keep playing nice when the other side is going scorched earth.

Now tactically speaking, if you're Mitch, you have to wait until November 4th to start on this, right? Not only do you force Collins, Ernst, Tillis, Perdue, McSally and Gardner to VERY difficult votes, you also take them off the campaign for hearings. I mean, anyone who is squarely in the camp of "Trump should pick RBG's replacement" was ALREADY on Team R. I think it would be a huge error to bring these Senators back to DC. If you wait until November, then those 6 all have a vote in the Senate for 8 weeks come hell or high water.

I think this is a fair assessment of the situation.

Once Trump gets the new Supreme Court justice in place, and loses the Presidency, the Democrats are going to stack the court by adding more justices. It will show the hand of the Democrats for power at any cost, and the Civil War will begin.

Once Trump gets the new Supreme Court justice in place, and loses the Presidency, the Democrats are going to stack the court by adding more justices. It will show the hand of the Democrats for power at any cost, and the Civil War will begin.
And why wouldn’t the Dems continue the war started by Newt almost 30 years ago? Do you think the Dems are any more innocent than the GOP when it comes to playing politics?
Do you think the Dems have forgotten the bullshit of McConnell and Grassley 4 years ago?
Personally as a Democrat I am salivating for the day of pay back! I can hardly wait....I just hope I am alive when the right starts squealing(some more!)...

Good. Eff your side. Dems deserve to pack the courts after this shit your side is pulling.

ADVERTISEMENT