ADVERTISEMENT

RBG - United States v. Virginia & the Draft

Dec 31, 2014
United States v. Virginia Wiki page

United States v. Virginia, 518 U.S. 515 (1996), is a landmark case in which the Supreme Court of the United States struck down the long-standing male-only admission policy of the Virginia Military Institute (VMI) in a 7–1 decision. Justice Clarence Thomas, whose son was enrolled at VMI at the time, recused himself.[1]

Genuinely interested, what did RBG have to say about The Draft? I can't find her comments on the draft anywhere. Seems rather sexist of her not to opine on that after US v. VA.

Reactions: SIXERS24
There ain’t no draft no more.

Oh really? What purpose then does the SSS serve?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_Service_System

"The Selective Service System (SSS) is an independent agency of the United States government that maintains information on those potentially subject to military conscription (i.e. the draft). All male U.S. citizens (and male immigrant non-citizens) who are between the ages of 18 and 26 are required by law to have registered within 30 days of their 18th birthdays,[2][3] and must notify the Selective Service within ten days of any changes to any of the information they provided on their registration cards, such as a change of address.[4] The Selective Service System is a contingency mechanism for the possibility that conscription becomes necessary."

United States v. Virginia Wiki page

United States v. Virginia, 518 U.S. 515 (1996), is a landmark case in which the Supreme Court of the United States struck down the long-standing male-only admission policy of the Virginia Military Institute (VMI) in a 7–1 decision. Justice Clarence Thomas, whose son was enrolled at VMI at the time, recused himself.[1]

Genuinely interested, what did RBG have to say about The Draft? I can't find her comments on the draft anywhere. Seems rather sexist of her not to opine on that after US v. VA.

Sweet thread. Well-crafted outrage. Will read again.

Reactions: naturalmwa
I'm not RBG but in the interest of true equality women should have the same requirement to register at 18 as men have.
Ah, hell no. No way my daughter is ever going to get drafted and sent off to war.

The constitutionality of male-only registration for selective service was decided in Rostker v. Goldberg (1981). After the military abolished the prohibition of women serving in combat positions, a second suit was filed and the district court ruled male-only registration as unconstitutional. That case currently sits in the 5th Circuit.

Oh really? What purpose then does the SSS serve?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_Service_System

"The Selective Service System (SSS) is an independent agency of the United States government that maintains information on those potentially subject to military conscription (i.e. the draft). All male U.S. citizens (and male immigrant non-citizens) who are between the ages of 18 and 26 are required by law to have registered within 30 days of their 18th birthdays,[2][3] and must notify the Selective Service within ten days of any changes to any of the information they provided on their registration cards, such as a change of address.[4] The Selective Service System is a contingency mechanism for the possibility that conscription becomes necessary."
Lighten up, Francis.

Why would anyone expect a justice to opine about an issue that isn’t before the court?

We’ve heard over and over that her dying wish was that her seat be held open until after the election. Was that an issue before the court?
Is this a serious post? The comic relief around here is on point tonight.

Is this a serious post? The comic relief around here is on point tonight.
I was actually wondering the same thing about your post.

Why would you think it ridiculous to inquire whether RBG had ever stated her opinion on women being required to register for Selective Service?

The woman devoted her entire life to fighting for gender equality. Why would it be silly to ask if she had expressed an opinion about an issue pertaining to gender equality?

It’s not like Supreme Court justices live in a bubble where they can only think or speak about issues facing the Court. Over the past few years she delivered numerous public speeches and published two books. Were the thoughts expressed in those speeches and books limited to items on the SCOTUS docket?

A couple years ago she publicly expressed her support for the #metoo movement. Did Harvey Weinstein’s case make it all the way to the Supreme Court and I just didn’t notice?

I was actually wondering the same thing about your post.

Why would you think it ridiculous to inquire whether RBG had ever stated her opinion on women being required to register for Selective Service?

The woman devoted her entire life to fighting for gender equality. Why would it be silly to ask if she had expressed an opinion about an issue pertaining to gender equality?

It’s not like Supreme Court justices live in a bubble where they can only think or speak about issues facing the Court. Over the past few years she delivered numerous public speeches and published two books. Were the thoughts expressed in those speeches and books limited to items on the SCOTUS docket?

A couple years ago she publicly expressed her support for the #metoo movement. Did Harvey Weinstein’s case make it all the way to the Supreme Court and I just didn’t notice?
The question wasn’t if she ever stated an opinion. The question was what did she say in the opinion on an unrelated court case.

That’s not what I gleaned from the question. I read it as OP asking whether she had ever stated her thoughts on women and the draft at any time.
I interpreted it differently because the OP linked them.

I'm not RBG but in the interest of true equality women should have the same requirement to register at 18 as men have.

Why do we even make males register for selective service in 2020? Like we havent tracked everyone and their whereabouts at this point with tech.

Why do we even make males register for selective service in 2020? Like we havent tracked everyone and their whereabouts at this point with tech.

You're tracked mom to felatios house where they're OP'ing her.

We are in agreement. When I was in law school after Iraq, one of my professors called me out on this issue, (certainly because he knew I was the only veteran in a large class). I stated that women serve the same as men in war time experience. You can't tell me that they are less exposed to IED's. You can't tell me that they are less exposed to mortars and rockets. They serve the same as every man.

Selective Service should be for all or none.

So if your doorbell rings and it's two gentlemen in uniform at the door, you're not as devastated over a son?
No one wants a child sent off to war. Of either sex.
As a male in this country you accept that you could be drafted into military service and you accept that your son or grandson could be called upon to serve. When it comes to our daughters or granddaughters, hell no.

I don't know that she ever had made a public statement about her opinion on selective service. But, my guess is that she would be in favor of it being for both sexes now that women are allowed in combat positions. Her career as a lawyer heavily revolved around equal treatment for the sexes, both of them.

As for the rule, I don't see how it holds up in court now. This went to the supreme court, as was mentioned, and their decision was strictly that the draft was to provide able bodies for combat. Since only men were allowed in combat, then the draft can be limited to men. ~40 years later the combat rule has changed and I think the rulings will change because of that. It absolutely makes sense to not limit this based upon sex. If my memory is right, I've heard that for every soldier with a gun on the ground, there are 3 soldiers providing HQ, logistics, and support to keep them fighting. Maybe my memory is off and that is a 2:1 ratio, but either way there is no reason that women couldn't be drafted into those HQ/logistics/support positions.

As a male in this country you accept that you could be drafted into military service and you accept that your son or grandson could be called upon to serve. When it comes to our daughters or granddaughters, hell no.

Why? I don't want to lose my sons any more than I want to lose my daughter. Why is it she gets an out?

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT