ADVERTISEMENT

RBY on ADS

Agoodnap

All-Conference
Sep 27, 2015
Pretty interesting. Watch for about 2 minutes or so from where I started and then go to the 35:30 for few moments where RBY states he was 145 this year when he wrestled ADS.

Seems a little high but certainly possible in a Tournament setting where if you are meeting where no more weigh-ins are necessary and you have 6-8 hours. In a dual meet, where you have 1 hour weigh-in before match, not likely.

Shouldn't have mattered, DeSanto needed to find a way to score at least 1 TD! Had he done this on what seemed to be a 100 shots taken in the last 5 or so matches. He could have won.

Last edited:
Pretty interesting. Watch for about 2 minutes or so from where I started and then go to the 35:30 for few moments where RBY states he was 145 this year when he wrestled ADS.

Not sure why you are surprised by this. In my day that would be quite low. Now, admittedly, the rules changed to try to curtail that much floating, but I would still think 10-15 lbs, especially up a few more weights, isn't all that rare...

Reactions: manatree and el dub
Not sure why you are surprised by this. In my day that would be quite low. Now, admittedly, the rules changed to try to curtail that much floating, but I would still think 10-15 lbs, especially up a few more weights, isn't all that rare...
Never forget the day I was craving pineapple juice after weighing in once. Must have drank about a quart. Luckily my insides were scoured clean before that dual.

If i was the master of the universe, I'd consider making all weigh ins matside, or at least the first 5 weights go before intros, and the second 5 weigh in during the break.

{ducks}
That's what I would like to see. You step on a scale exactly right before you step on the mat, and it's a big visible sign. If you made it then out you go to wrestle!

That's what I would like to see. You step on a scale exactly right before you step on the mat, and it's a big visible sign. If you made it then out you go to wrestle!
I’ve competed quite a bit in BJJ and that is how it’s done in that sport. It actually really sucks as a competitor. You have zero time to rehydrate and anyone who is cutting weight is at a huge disadvantage.

I’ve competed quite a bit in BJJ and that is how it’s done in that sport. It actually really sucks as a competitor. You have zero time to rehydrate and anyone who is cutting weight is at a huge disadvantage.
I mean, that's kind of the point of weighing in right before the match. If it's such a huge disadvantage why wouldn't you fight at a more natural weight?

Keep in mind that they met in the Semi's, not the finals. They both had weigh-ins the next morning.

Every weight sport does this and it'll never change. In powerlifting I usually had a 24 hour weigh in, cut water, eat and rehydrate. 198.5 was normally around 207 the day of lifting.

Keep in mind that they met in the Semi's, not the finals. They both had weigh-ins the next morning.
Which is an ETERNITY to pull that weight off. Hell he probably lost several pounds just from wrestling ADS. Then, considering he did some type of wind down workout after, like most do now, He was probably back under 140 within minutes after that match.

Minimize your fluid and caloric intake from there on in and you should shed a few more pounds sleeping. A hot shower and another light workout in the morning and you should be right on weight. Make weight and you have an eternity before the Finals...

Edited to add: I didn't even account for his metabolism, obviously not knowing him personally to have any clue. But, I have been around several guys that burn so hot and fast, they could sweat off weight even when they were relaxed.

Remember, none of what I said above even accounts for the more dangerous practices that could chop that weight off much faster...

Reactions: el dub
Which is an ETERNITY to pull that weight off. Hell he probably lost several pounds just from wrestling ADS. Then, considering he did some type of wind down workout after, like most do now, He was probably back under 140 within minutes after that match.

Minimize your fluid and caloric intake from there on in and you should shed a few more pounds sleeping. A hot shower and another light workout in the morning and you should be right on weight. Make weight and you have an eternity before the Finals...

Edited to add: I didn't even account for his metabolism, obviously not knowing him personally to have any clue. But, I have been around several guys that burn so hot and fast, they could sweat off weight even when they were relaxed.

Remember, none of what I said above even accounts for the more dangerous practices that could chop that weight off much faster...
You don't lose 5 lbs in a single wrestling match.

• Haha
Reactions: Lsanders20
I mean, that's kind of the point of weighing in right before the match. If it's such a huge disadvantage why wouldn't you fight at a more natural weight?
I competed at 194.5 lbs the next weight class up is 208. Naturally, I walked around at about 198-200, so I was definitely undersized at 208. Additionally, like in wrestling they start with the lighter weights first, then move on to the bigger guys. It wasn’t uncommon for me to not get a match until around noon. Not being able to eat anything or drink much sucked. When I wrestled, I’d weigh in at 7am, eat, rehydrate and compete at around 9ish. Wrestlers are cranky enough, making them wait around half the day would drive em bat sh*t crazy.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
I competed at 194.5 lbs the next weight class up is 208. Naturally, I walked around at about 198-200, so I was definitely undersized at 208. Additionally, like in wrestling they start with the lighter weights first, then move on to the bigger guys. It wasn’t uncommon for me to not get a match until around noon. Not being able to eat anything or drink much sucked. When I wrestled, I’d weigh in at 7am, eat, rehydrate and compete at around 9ish. Wrestlers are cranky enough, making them wait around half the day would drive em bat sh*t crazy.
Makes sense, especially at the upper weights where the classes are more spread out.

I wonder if you would've been better off treating it like you had a morning weigh in at 190, then eating and drinking throughout the day to get up to 194.5 by the time you fought.

You don't lose 5 lbs in a single wrestling match.
I can tell you with 100% certainty that I stepped onto a scale just a few minutes before a match and then again only a couple after and I lost more than 5lbs, MULTIPLE times. Obviously this would be harder for a 133lber to do than someone 25+ lbs heavier. But, I didn't even say 5lbs just from the match in his case. I included a wind down workout afterwards. Those REALLY do shed weight, keeping the heart rate high, with the blood pumping hard and sweating optimally.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that I stepped onto a scale just a few minutes before a match and then again only a couple after and I lost more than 5lbs, MULTIPLE times. Obviously this would be harder for a 133lber to do than someone 25+ lbs heavier. But, I didn't even say 5lbs just from the match in his case. I included a wind down workout afterwards. Those REALLY do shed weight, keeping the heart rate high, with the blood pumping hard and sweating optimally.
It's crazy how little you have to do after your heart rate is already sky high to keep the sweat flowing.

Reactions: Jaybird319
Losing 5 pounds warming up wrestling and cooling down is not that much for a guy that's close to fully hydrated. Throw in a good number 1 and you easily lose 5#.

Reactions: slicone
Eight matches between DeSanto and RBY. Seems like that would be on the higher end of matchups between a pair of wrestlers over their collegiate careers. Any others come to mind?

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT