ADVERTISEMENT

Re-do a play or two in Hawkeye football history..whatcha got?

BigOHawk

HR Heisman
Oct 27, 2001
Omaha, NE
  1. Wisky fake punt - that seemed to linger over our heads for years!
  2. Sparty '15 - pick your poison here, the non targeting call against Kittle and subsequent INT, ball going through Tevaun Smith's hands for a TD (lost in lights), holding on MeerKat that wiped out a huge gain in 4th quarter and not stopping Connor Cook on a 4th and whatever QB draw
  3. 4th and forever run by Terrell Pryor (OSU 2010)
  4. Stanzi bootleg vs. NW
  5. Brad Banks wrapping wrist too tight, that game probably kept us out of national title game

make the goal line tackle in the BTT game vs Michigan State and head to the college football playoff... I wouldn't love our chances to pull the upset vs bama....maybe 5% but since we played in the Rose Bowl, it was a 0% chance. I'd take our shot in the final four because as Iowa fans we never know if we'll ever get that close again.

Great list. I'd add the late-game off tackle call to Ronnie Harmon @ Ohio State that got stuffed and, almost certainly, cost Iowa the national championship way back in 1985.

Gotta be stopping Sparty on 4th down to win the B1G.

Second would be Stanzi's bootleg.

I wish I could point to one play in the 2002 ISU game, but that whole second half was a cluster fk.

make the goal line tackle in the BTT game vs Michigan State and head to the college football playoff... I wouldn't love our chances to pull the upset vs bama....maybe 5% but since we played in the Rose Bowl, it was a 0% chance. I'd take our shot in the final four because as Iowa fans we never know if we'll ever get that close again.
Was the LJ Scott TD run on 3rd down correct? Still don't know how he slipped through 4 Hawks, although Josey was tackled to the ground on that play..aargh! If Spears keeps his head up he would've jarred the ball loose as well.

1. MSU in the 2015 BTT, we had all the chances in the world to put that game away and didn't.
2. 2009 vs Northwestern, who knows maybe we end up beating Ohio State and making it to Pasadena.
3. This a wildcard of sorts but last year vs NDSU, One: Because it embarrassed the hell out of me, and Two: Our season might not go off the rails like it did for a few weeks.

Reactions: m.stoops2013
Wasn't that only 3rd down?

Wasn't there a 4th Down play (or 2) in that drive that we had a chance at stopping before that?

Wasn't that only 3rd down?

Wasn't there a 4th Down play (or 2) in that drive that we had a chance at stopping before that?

There was at least one. Right in front of me. Jewel was about a half step late/missed that let them pick up the first down setting up the goal line.

Great list. I'd add the late-game off tackle call to Ronnie Harmon @ Ohio State that got stuffed and, almost certainly, cost Iowa the national championship way back in 1985.
Or perhaps something to wipe off Harmons butter fingers in that Rose. His four or five turnovers and dropped touchdown pass don't happen and we win a Rose for coach Fry. Not sure what best to use to wipe his hans though, maybe some crisp new C notes? :rolleyes:

There was at least one. Right in front of me. Jewel was about a half step late/missed that let them pick up the first down setting up the goal line.
Here it is. There was only one 4th Down play and it was 4th and 2 with a minute 59 to go inside Iowa 10-yard line.

While the LJ Scott touchdown obviously hurt this one was the game. 5:30 mark

1. MSU in the 2015 BTT, we had all the chances in the world to put that game away and didn't.
2. 2009 vs Northwestern, who knows maybe we end up beating Ohio State and making it to Pasadena.
3. This a wildcard of sorts but last year vs NDSU, One: Because it embarrassed the hell out of me, and Two: Our season might not go off the rails like it did for a few weeks.

Totally agree with these. Still cant believe the MSU game and the hold called on Daniels TD run against NDSU.

#4 honorable mention is sitting on the ball at OSU in 2009 at the end of the game and all the momentum.

Reactions: IACentralHawk73
Merton Hanks to knock down the pass instead of trying to intercept it to end the first half against OSU at home in 90'

Had we stopped LJ Scott on that 3rd down it would have been 4th and about 3 though. I like our odds there.

More recent events...

1) the utterly ridiculous pinball interception by MSU '15 CCG in the first half gets caught by Kittle

2) NDSU kicker misses winning FG

In the past...

1) Stanzi bootleg injury

2) Owen Gill fumble against Michigan in 80's doesn't happen

3) Nick Bell catches the wheel route in the '90 Rose Bowl during Iowa's comeback

4) Bobby f'n Olive

First play from scrimmage of the Rose Bowl meltdown. 75 yard seam route to McCaffery. Instant demoralization.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Re-do a play or two in Iowa Hawkeye football history? Not a game changer, but this one just for pure embarrassment...

Yup, Bobby Olive. Win that and we don't lose at Minny and actually had legit chance at NC didn't we? Wasn't that the year a 2 loss Buffs team won it?

That MSU game for the BIG championship and playoff berth is one loss no real Hawkeye fan will ever forget. It was so Iowa. Played great for the most part, but got no breaks. Just unbelievable. Change any one of a dozen plays, and Iowa wins comfortably. And I think the Hawkeyes would have given Alabama a helluva game. What an all-time heartbreaking loss...

Reactions: kceasthawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT